CA-17: San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed endorses Ro Khanna for Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:53:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-17: San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed endorses Ro Khanna for Congress
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CA-17: San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed endorses Ro Khanna for Congress  (Read 4176 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

snip:

More: http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_26350031/san-jose-mayor-chuck-reed-endorses-ro-khanna

One stealth Republican endorses another; color me shocked!
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »

Well that's unfortunate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »

Disgusting. Hopefully Honda emerges victorious from the assaults of Big Business.
NHLiberal

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:50:42 AM »

Gross
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »

I haven't really been following this primary, but it seems like it is somewhat similar to the Hawaii Senate one? Is that accurate?
KCDem

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:11:11 PM »

Hopefully the huddled masses run them both out of town.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:18:38 AM »

I haven't really been following this primary, but it seems like it is somewhat similar to the Hawaii Senate one? Is that accurate?

I'd say it's pretty different in that ideology did not really play much of a role in the Hawaii Senate primary, but it's the defining difference in Honda vs. Khanna. There's some age and racial elements to CA-17 too, but really the lines between voting for someone who cares about labor and civil rights versus someone who cares about economic competitiveness and tech interests could not be more stark.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »

I don't like Reed's position on medical marijuana but he has done what is necessary regarding public employee unions. I think both he and Khanna represent the interests of the South Bay better than Honda, even though he is a nice guy.
GaussLaw
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »

What policies make Ro Khanna a Democrat then?
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 09:02:37 PM »

I have a friend who worked for Mike Honda's primary campaign before she left the job to go to college. I hope Honda wins because he's been more honest other than Khanna other than calling him Republican-lite and is closer to my views on meaningful issues.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2014, 09:27:41 PM by Sbane »

I don't think he looks at issues ideologically, rather he looks at them practically. That's the problem with congress right now. Everyone is in their ideological corners as opposed to trying to do things which are necessary, may they be liberal or conservative.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »

My kind of Democrats!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »

Fake Democrat Reed endorsed Republican Swearengin for Controller.
No wonder he supports a fellow fake Democrat who is a pawn of the tech CEOs.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »

I don't understand the hate of the tech sector, I really don't. Can someone please explain it to me or is it basically money=bad?
KCDem

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »

I don't understand the hate of the tech sector, I really don't. Can someone please explain it to me or is it basically money=bad?

No but greedy bastards = bad
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »

No but greedy bastards = bad

This is Silicon Valley we are talking about, not Wall Street.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 11:41:50 PM »

A lot of it is the fact that they have this insufferable veneer of progressive do-good-ery even as they perpetuate a corporate culture that is incredibly unfriendly to women and anyone who isn't the "right kind" of white person.

At least Wall Street more or less admits they're exclusionary assholes (though they'll tell you they're exclusionary assholes who we can't possibly do without). And your stereotypical "evil robber baron" like Charles Koch does provide employment opportunities for the working class in his chemical plants and paper mills. In that sense, he's certainly giving more opportunity to average people than Instagram or any other "something something apps something" start-up.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 02:07:02 AM »

I don't think he looks at issues ideologically, rather he looks at them practically. That's the problem with congress right now. Everyone is in their ideological corners as opposed to trying to do things which are necessary, may they be liberal or conservative.

Muh pragmatism.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 02:11:29 AM »

Tech CEOs are very anti-worker.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 02:23:39 AM »

None of this is particularly meaningful, in any case. Honda won by a large margin in the primary and he will win by a large margin in the general election. This election isn't directly analogous to the election in Hawaii, but the comparison is useful to make, because like Hawaii this district is majority-Asian and consequently strongly pro-incumbent. For Khanna to win, voters need a good reason to vote Honda out, and they have nothing of the sort.

One of Khanna's strategies here has been to court the Indian vote, which is substantial but significantly smaller than the Chinese vote. In a matter reminiscent of politics in the home country, his campaign mailers trumpet his grandfather's participation in the Quit India movement. There's no actual way of reliably measuring the Indian vote since Indians do not live in their own separate areas, but if I may draw from anecdotal evidence Khanna has largely failed in this regard. Indians are just as pro-incumbent as their Chinese neighbors.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 02:33:45 AM »

None of this is particularly meaningful, in any case. Honda won by a large margin in the primary and he will win by a large margin in the general election. This election isn't directly analogous to the election in Hawaii, but the comparison is useful to make, because like Hawaii this district is majority-Asian and consequently strongly pro-incumbent. For Khanna to win, voters need a good reason to vote Honda out, and they have nothing of the sort.

One of Khanna's strategies here has been to court the Indian vote, which is substantial but significantly smaller than the Chinese vote. In a matter reminiscent of politics in the home country, his campaign mailers trumpet his grandfather's participation in the Quit India movement. There's no actual way of reliably measuring the Indian vote since Indians do not live in their own separate areas, but if I may draw from anecdotal evidence Khanna has largely failed in this regard. Indians are just as pro-incumbent as their Chinese neighbors.

Well, Khanna is certainly trying to play the race card for all its worth. "Don't let Ro Khanna outsource our jobs" is supposedly racist.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:52 AM »

A big part is the criticism that tech companies do not care about the interests of the average person living in the area, of which the Google buses were the perfect illustration. Tech transplants arrive here, drive up housing prices, displace longtime residents from the area and enjoy private shuttles while expressing contempt towards those less fortunate or privileged than themselves. Not a good look.

Personally while I think the tech sector gets an unfair rap at times - it's still of a hell lot more open and merit-based than a lot of other big industries out there -   it's a bit arrogant of Khanna to think he can just plop in this district and defeat a popular incumbent simply because tech is important. Techies aren't the only people in CA-17 - as Xahar said it's majority-Asian (which articles about the campaign have neglected to emphasize) and they like Honda. The district's also pretty solidly liberal and Honda's track record is great in that regard:

Also, I once randomly ran into him in my high school hallway in between classes. He was there to give a speech to his grand-nephew's class. We talked about how his grand-nephew was a douche and about the arcane politics of the local high school district. Dude's a product of the area, ya know? It'd be a shame to see him get tossed aside for a guy who's smart and accomplished but looks to be more focused on national level issues as opposed to the people of the district.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »

Well, Khanna is certainly trying to play the race card for all its worth. "Don't let Ro Khanna outsource our jobs" is supposedly racist.

That is actually racist.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »

That doesn't actually mean anything.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 08:27:46 AM »

A lot of it is the fact that they have this insufferable veneer of progressive do-good-ery even as they perpetuate a corporate culture that is incredibly unfriendly to women and anyone who isn't the "right kind" of white person.

At least Wall Street more or less admits they're exclusionary assholes (though they'll tell you they're exclusionary assholes who we can't possibly do without). And your stereotypical "evil robber baron" like Charles Koch does provide employment opportunities for the working class in his chemical plants and paper mills. In that sense, he's certainly giving more opportunity to average people than Instagram or any other "something something apps something" start-up.

So what's up with this stereotype that all tech workers are white? There are also a crap ton of Asians who work in these companies and a lot of startups are started by Asians. Considering the demographics of this district, having a representative focused on tech issues, and solving national issues using increased use of technology is fairly representative of the district.

And someone has to explain to me why it is supposedly the corporate culture that keeps women away from these jobs, as opposed to the fact that most software engineers in college are men. That is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed but it can't be addressed at the corporate level. It needs to happen much earlier than that. And if you guys took just 5 minutes to actually visit Khanna's website, you would see he addresses this problem multiple times.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies