CA-17: San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed endorses Ro Khanna for Congress
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:45:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-17: San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed endorses Ro Khanna for Congress
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: CA-17: San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed endorses Ro Khanna for Congress  (Read 4146 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 08:31:09 AM »

What policies make Ro Khanna a Democrat then?

I don't think he looks at issues ideologically, rather he looks at them practically. That's the problem with congress right now. Everyone is in their ideological corners as opposed to trying to do things which are necessary, may they be liberal or conservative.

That doesn't actually mean anything.

Ugh, spare me the attitude and actually go see his website. You will see he has many ideas (he is a policy wonk) and they can't always be packaged neatly into any one category or ideology.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »

What policies make Ro Khanna a Democrat then?

I don't think he looks at issues ideologically, rather he looks at them practically. That's the problem with congress right now. Everyone is in their ideological corners as opposed to trying to do things which are necessary, may they be liberal or conservative.

Muh pragmatism.

Yeah, taking reality into account when making laws is so dumb! You would make a great teabagger.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »

I don't understand the hate of the tech sector, I really don't. Can someone please explain it to me or is it basically money=bad?

A lot of it is the fact that they have this insufferable veneer of progressive do-good-ery even as they perpetuate a corporate culture that is incredibly unfriendly to women and anyone who isn't the "right kind" of white person.

At least Wall Street more or less admits they're exclusionary assholes (though they'll tell you they're exclusionary assholes who we can't possibly do without). And your stereotypical "evil robber baron" like Charles Koch does provide employment opportunities for the working class in his chemical plants and paper mills. In that sense, he's certainly giving more opportunity to average people than Instagram or any other "something something apps something" start-up.

So what's up with this stereotype that all tech workers are white? There are also a crap ton of Asians who work in these companies and a lot of startups are started by Asians. Considering the demographics of this district, having a representative focused on tech issues, and solving national issues using increased use of technology is fairly representative of the district.

And someone has to explain to me why it is supposedly the corporate culture that keeps women away from these jobs, as opposed to the fact that most software engineers in college are men. That is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed but it can't be addressed at the corporate level. It needs to happen much earlier than that. And if you guys took just 5 minutes to actually visit Khanna's website, you would see he addresses this problem multiple times.

There actually aren't that many Asians and there are basically zero blacks or Hispanics.

There have been plenty of first-person accounts of women in tech firms who felt alienated and unwelcome by the "frat house" culture that tended to prevail.

Start-ups are fundamentally elitist and exclusionary in the same way that journalism and high-end PR are exclusionary - you can't play the game if you can't afford it. It's customary in that industry to pay employees equity in lieu of wages. That's fine if you have cash flow from family money, but most people do need an actual paycheck every couple of weeks.

There's also the 24/7 mentality. It's a very collegiate atmosphere of late nights and overlap between work and socializing. It only works for someone who was a traditional college student and has remained in that "mode" by not marrying and certainly not having children.

You're a 25 year old man who married after college and has a two year old? Sorry. You're not welcome. You're a single mom who went back to school part time, graduated at 30 and has two kids in elementary school? Thanks but you're just not a good fit for us.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »

I don't understand the hate of the tech sector, I really don't. Can someone please explain it to me or is it basically money=bad?

A lot of it is the fact that they have this insufferable veneer of progressive do-good-ery even as they perpetuate a corporate culture that is incredibly unfriendly to women and anyone who isn't the "right kind" of white person.

At least Wall Street more or less admits they're exclusionary assholes (though they'll tell you they're exclusionary assholes who we can't possibly do without). And your stereotypical "evil robber baron" like Charles Koch does provide employment opportunities for the working class in his chemical plants and paper mills. In that sense, he's certainly giving more opportunity to average people than Instagram or any other "something something apps something" start-up.

So what's up with this stereotype that all tech workers are white? There are also a crap ton of Asians who work in these companies and a lot of startups are started by Asians. Considering the demographics of this district, having a representative focused on tech issues, and solving national issues using increased use of technology is fairly representative of the district.

And someone has to explain to me why it is supposedly the corporate culture that keeps women away from these jobs, as opposed to the fact that most software engineers in college are men. That is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed but it can't be addressed at the corporate level. It needs to happen much earlier than that. And if you guys took just 5 minutes to actually visit Khanna's website, you would see he addresses this problem multiple times.

There actually aren't that many Asians and there are basically zero blacks or Hispanics.

There have been plenty of first-person accounts of women in tech firms who felt alienated and unwelcome by the "frat house" culture that tended to prevail.

Start-ups are fundamentally elitist and exclusionary in the same way that journalism and high-end PR are exclusionary - you can't play the game if you can't afford it. It's customary in that industry to pay employees equity in lieu of wages. That's fine if you have cash flow from family money, but most people do need an actual paycheck every couple of weeks.

There's also the 24/7 mentality. It's a very collegiate atmosphere of late nights and overlap between work and socializing. It only works for someone who was a traditional college student and has remained in that "mode" by not marrying and certainly not having children.

You're a 25 year old man who married after college and has a two year old? Sorry. You're not welcome. You're a single mom who went back to school part time, graduated at 30 and has two kids in elementary school? Thanks but you're just not a good fit for us.

No, there are actually many Asians who work for tech companies as well as startups. I'm not really sure where you are getting this idea it's a sea of white people. It might be true that there are less Asians in startups, but easily 25-30% of startup workers are Asian. That number probably gets close to a majority at established tech companies. As for Hispanics and Blacks, the same problem as with women apply. Not enough go into the majors you need to get into the tech field.

I agree with a lot of the other points you make, especially regarding lifestyle choices. I just don't see why that is a bad thing. Working at a startup is a lifestyle choice and if it doesn't fit a lot of people, it doesn't mean those who work at start ups are exclusionary. If you want a 9-5 and raise 2 kids, then it's not the right fit for you.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »

What's your source for this? I'm at a major tech company right now and there are more than two dozen people on my side of the floor. I'm literally the only one who was born in the United States.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »

What's your source for this? I'm at a major tech company right now and there are more than two dozen people on my side of the floor. I'm literally the only one who was born in the United States.

Are you working at a start-up in the Bay Area? I'm not talking about HP/Oracle/Microsoft/etc.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 03:05:43 AM »

None of this is particularly meaningful, in any case. Honda won by a large margin in the primary and he will win by a large margin in the general election. This election isn't directly analogous to the election in Hawaii, but the comparison is useful to make, because like Hawaii this district is majority-Asian and consequently strongly pro-incumbent. For Khanna to win, voters need a good reason to vote Honda out, and they have nothing of the sort.

One of Khanna's strategies here has been to court the Indian vote, which is substantial but significantly smaller than the Chinese vote. In a matter reminiscent of politics in the home country, his campaign mailers trumpet his grandfather's participation in the Quit India movement. There's no actual way of reliably measuring the Indian vote since Indians do not live in their own separate areas, but if I may draw from anecdotal evidence Khanna has largely failed in this regard. Indians are just as pro-incumbent as their Chinese neighbors.

Well, Khanna is certainly trying to play the race card for all its worth. "Don't let Ro Khanna outsource our jobs" is supposedly racist.

That is actually racist.

Umm, what? Was it racist to call Carly Fiornia an outsourcer, too?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 03:11:32 AM »

Obviously there are a lot of Asians in tech, but it's a very bad sign if only 1 out of more than 2 dozen employees is American born. A good company should have a healthy mix of American and foreign born. And not all foreign born tech workers are Asians.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »

None of this is particularly meaningful, in any case. Honda won by a large margin in the primary and he will win by a large margin in the general election. This election isn't directly analogous to the election in Hawaii, but the comparison is useful to make, because like Hawaii this district is majority-Asian and consequently strongly pro-incumbent. For Khanna to win, voters need a good reason to vote Honda out, and they have nothing of the sort.

One of Khanna's strategies here has been to court the Indian vote, which is substantial but significantly smaller than the Chinese vote. In a matter reminiscent of politics in the home country, his campaign mailers trumpet his grandfather's participation in the Quit India movement. There's no actual way of reliably measuring the Indian vote since Indians do not live in their own separate areas, but if I may draw from anecdotal evidence Khanna has largely failed in this regard. Indians are just as pro-incumbent as their Chinese neighbors.

Well, Khanna is certainly trying to play the race card for all its worth. "Don't let Ro Khanna outsource our jobs" is supposedly racist.

That is actually racist.

It depends on the context on which you call him an outsourcer. Has he personally outsourced any jobs of are you calling him that because he is an Indian guy who is friends with tech CEO's? In any case, he makes the case for how to make America more competitive and how to keep jobs here without resorting to protectionism, so those those comments would be stupid at best.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »

Are you working at a start-up in the Bay Area? I'm not talking about HP/Oracle/Microsoft/etc.

Why focus on just startups? Most tech jobs are not in startups.

In any case, you are wrong about them as well. My sister currently works for a startup, and her previous job was at a startup as well. I have other non-white friends who work at startups as well. There are not many new immigrants at startups though, but that is because of how the immigration system works. Ever notice how techies are very pro-immigration reform?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 08:51:25 PM »

My dad works at a startup in Milpitas. The demographic breakdown is the same.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 10:01:21 PM »

That is actually racist.

It depends on the context on which you call him an outsourcer. Has he personally outsourced any jobs of are you calling him that because he is an Indian guy who is friends with tech CEO's? In any case, he makes the case for how to make America more competitive and how to keep jobs here without resorting to protectionism, so those those comments would be stupid at best.

He wants to double the number of H-1Bs. There are a lot of companies that look only to hire H-1Bs, and usually of a certain race. But of course they can't be racist.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:59 PM »

That is actually racist.

He wants to double the number of H-1Bs. There are a lot of companies that look only to hire H-1Bs, and usually of a certain race. But of course they can't be racist.

Yeah, so? And I'm not sure about the "certain race" part. You don't have to be so coy about your feelings Jfern. Let out the hate brotha!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 10:31:17 PM »

That is actually racist.

Yeah, so? And I'm not sure about the "certain race" part. You don't have to be so coy about your feelings Jfern. Let out the hate brotha!

I guess you think Dick Durbin is racist now?
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/us-senator-accuses-tcs-infosys-wipro-of-abusing-h1b-visas/387221-2.html
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »

It should be noted that "tech worker" and "tech CEO"/"tech industry" are not the same. Labor is labor, the bosses are bosses, regardless of which industry you are in:

"On May 4, 2011, a former software engineer at Lucasfilm filed a class action lawsuit charging Adobe Systems Inc., Apple Inc., Google Inc., Intel Corporation, Intuit Inc., Lucasfilm Ltd., and Pixar with violations of antitrust laws by conspiring to fix and restrict the pay of their employees and entering into "no solicitation" agreements with each other. Similar complaints were later filed by other employees"

That being said, it's just a matter of time before the industry (bosses) take over local politics. Honda is old, and Khanna or someone like him will replace him sooner or later.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:46 PM »

That is actually racist.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/us-senator-accuses-tcs-infosys-wipro-of-abusing-h1b-visas/387221-2.html

Immigrant tech workers themselves will admit there are abuses in the system. Most of those workers want a green card in the long run but if their employers just want them to learn some skills and then ship them back to the country of their origin, then that needs to be stopped. Forcing them to process more green cards would be the obvious solution, but then you need to increase the number of green cards allowed per year. Durbin's law is idiotic because all it does is shift the abuse from Indian companies to American companies. Ensuring these visas aren't just used as a tool for outsourcing, whether it be Indian or American companies should be the goal.

At the end of the day though, if you are against all h1b visa holders, then you are against any immigration from countries like India or the Phillipines. If some republican came out against any immigration from Mexico or El Salvador, guess what you or your esteemed left wing colleagues would call him?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »

That is actually racist.

Immigrant tech workers themselves will admit there are abuses in the system. Most of those workers want a green card in the long run but if their employers just want them to learn some skills and then ship them back to the country of their origin, then that needs to be stopped. Forcing them to process more green cards would be the obvious solution, but then you need to increase the number of green cards allowed per year. Durbin's law is idiotic because all it does is shift the abuse from Indian companies to American companies. Ensuring these visas aren't just used as a tool for outsourcing, whether it be Indian or American companies should be the goal.

At the end of the day though, if you are against all h1b visa holders, then you are against any immigration from countries like India or the Phillipines. If some republican came out against any immigration from Mexico or El Salvador, guess what you or your esteemed left wing colleagues would call him?

LOL, there's a difference between being against all H-1B visa holders, and wanting to double the number of H-1Bs.

However, even if the H-1B visa was completely eliminated, all of the best and brightest could be hired under the O-1 visa.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:29 PM »

That is actually racist.

LOL, there's a difference between being against all H-1B visa holders, and wanting to double the number of H-1Bs.

However, even if the H-1B visa was completely eliminated, all of the best and brightest could be hired under the O-1 visa.

Do you have any evidence he wants to increase h1b visas for those abusing the system, rather than making it easier for smaller companies to hire more immigrants?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 03:50:25 AM »

That is actually racist.

Do you have any evidence he wants to increase h1b visas for those abusing the system, rather than making it easier for smaller companies to hire more immigrants?

Of course he wants to increase it for the H-1B abusers.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 08:14:49 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2014, 08:16:20 AM by Sbane »

Even though he specifically points out on how website that those who use it as a tool to outsource must be stopped? You are making this assumption based on what exactly?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »

I don't think the tech industry (especially in the Bay Area)  having lots of Asians/Asian-Americans*  is  particularly relevant to the pervasive elitism and delusions of grandeur coming from a frightening number of people in this industry.

*Asians from (mostly) highly educated, upper-middle class backgrounds, I might add. Yay diversity!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 08:04:26 AM »

Yes, you have to be highly educated to work in the tech sector......

Of course, in order to add more diversity to this field (or any field that requires a high level of education) you need to have better public schools in poorer neighborhoods. I don't see you talking about that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 01:53:54 AM »

The real Democrat won. KOFY figured out Khanna's correct party, LOL.

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2014, 02:04:28 AM »

Thank Christ.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 06:00:02 AM »

The margin at the end of the day was 51% for Honda 48% for the Republican.

Alot closer than it should have been.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies