Some GOP evangelicals feel left out, without a standard-bearer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:19:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Some GOP evangelicals feel left out, without a standard-bearer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Some GOP evangelicals feel left out, without a standard-bearer  (Read 2009 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 02:09:00 AM »

Ted Cruz needs to be the GOP nominee. He will ignite the base, inspire the evangelicals, deliver a strong and unyielding conservative stance on every issue. Then, when he gets crushed wins by 20 points, maybe they'll finally get the message.

Much better

You're one of the 'they' who needs to get the message.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 02:38:02 AM »

Ted Cruz needs to be the GOP nominee. He will ignite the base, inspire the evangelicals, deliver a strong and unyielding conservative stance on every issue. Then, when he gets crushed wins by 20 points, maybe they'll finally get the message.

Much better

"Then, when he gets wins by 20 points,"  (end of sentence)

Once again, you're really not very good at any of this.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 02:47:48 AM »

Ted Cruz needs to be the GOP nominee. He will ignite the base, inspire the evangelicals, deliver a strong and unyielding conservative stance on every issue. Then, when he gets crushed by 20 points, maybe they'll finally get the message.

Yeah, the exit poll populations of everybody were the same except one demo: Latinos, which grew in 2004, 2008, 2012 and went from 45% GOP to 22% GOP which pretty much accounts for the entire swing from Bush to Obama percentage wise.'

But let these fools frolic in their folly.

You shouldn't be poking party switching fun at anyone!
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 03:21:48 AM »

There are about 15 somewhat likely Republican 2016 candidates. I can't think of a single one who has not been pandering to evangelicals.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »

There are about 15 somewhat likely Republican 2016 candidates. I can't think of a single one who has not been pandering to evangelicals.
But if one of them isn't a white evangelical himself, it doesn't count.

(According to them)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 08:15:16 AM »

(According to them)

Most aren't...
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »

(According to them)

Most aren't...

Most are evangelical or, like Ryan and Santorum, Catholic but sound indistinguishable when talking about social issues. The article doesn't support the idea evangelical voters care about race.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 12:26:31 PM »

(According to them)

Most aren't...

Most are evangelical or, like Ryan and Santorum, Catholic but sound indistinguishable when talking about social issues. The article doesn't support the idea evangelical voters care about race.
If this guy had been able to get elected to major statewide office, he'd have a lot of evangelical support in a presidential primary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.W._Jackson
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »

Ted Cruz needs to be the GOP nominee. He will ignite the base, inspire the evangelicals, deliver a strong and unyielding conservative stance on every issue. Then, when he gets crushed by 20 points, maybe they'll finally get the message.

That's my dream.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 04:35:12 PM »

As much as I would love to see national humiliation for Ted Cruz, him coming within 20 points of the presidency is still enough to wake me screaming in the middle of the night.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »

As much as I would love to see national humiliation for Ted Cruz, him coming within 20 points of the presidency is still enough to wake me screaming in the middle of the night.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ted Cruz is not actually that dumb. He just plays a dumb for the Tea Party... if he were actually in the WH I don't think he would be as crazy as his public persona suggests.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Ted Cruz is not actually that dumb. He just plays a dumb for the Tea Party... if he were actually in the WH I don't think he would be as crazy as his public persona suggests.

Agreed; the lengthy New Yorker profile a month or two back eased my fears of Cruz. He's obviously both brilliant and sane. Whether he plays one on TV is another matter entirely.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 06:12:41 PM »

Evangelicals can support Huckabee, Santorum, Pence, Jindal as their standard-bearers. In the article, one of the evangelicals said that Dr. Carson can't win the nomination. If he runs and loses, he may be the top list to be HHS secretary, next to Jindal, or surgeon general in a Republican cabinet.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »

Wow, this article is so full of crap. It tries to say the reason McCain and Romney lost was because evangelicals didn't turn out for them. What utter crap. Evangelicals turned out en masse in 2008/2012 to vote against the black guy with the funny name.

Oh, was that in all the exit polls?

This was the exit polling for white evangelicals:

2004: 24% of electorate, 78-21 Republican
2008: 26% of electorate, 74-24 Republican
2012: 26% of electorate, 78-21 Republican

Yes, they actually did better among them in 2012 than in 2004, when Bush supposedly energized them the most since Reagan. Apparently the black guy with the funny name energizes them more, even if they have to vote for a Mormon in the process. Nice try guys, but we all know you turned out.

It's even more impressive considering the white vote went from 77 % in 2004 to 72 % in 2012.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »

Evangelicals can support Huckabee, Santorum, Pence, Jindal as their standard-bearers. In the article, one of the evangelicals said that Dr. Carson can't win the nomination. If he runs and loses, he may be the top list to be HHS secretary, next to Jindal, or surgeon general in a Republican cabinet.

I think the vast majority of the evangelical electorate believe that Santorum had his shot. They may go for Huckabee if he runs, but they're likely to have Perry, Walker, Jindal, Carson and maybe Cruz and Pence to choose from. It's too early to count Carson out. He's much more talented than the novelty candidates of 2012.

If Walker takes an early lead, as I expect him to, the evangelical support is likely to follow.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2014, 11:09:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies