Which of the 10 largest US cities would you rather live in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:27:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which of the 10 largest US cities would you rather live in?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: One choice.
New York
Chicago
Los Angeles
Houston
Philadelphia
Phoenix
San Antonio
San Diego
Dallas
San Jose
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which of the 10 largest US cities would you rather live in?  (Read 3315 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »

At this stage of my life, and given my situation and temperament and interests, NYC, but Hudson is yet better still!. NYC "vibes" - so much of it - is right here too, not just there, but all within a half square mile - so folks have more time for each other, in part because they keep running into each other. It's more personal in that way,  and really just a joy for me.  Best yet, partner Dan loves it too (took a risk there).  Smiley
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 11:54:07 PM »

[1] NYC
[2] LA
[3] San Diego
[4] Philadelphia
[5] Chicago
[6] San Jose
[7] San Antonio
[8] Houston
[9] Dallas
[10] Phoenix
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »

Los Angeles or Chicago
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 11:07:33 PM »

Of those, I'd only live in SD, Chi and NYC.  I voted for SD.  You'd have to quadruple my income to make me live in Phoenix, Philly or S.Antonio.  Houston is right out too.  Double my monies and I'd probably be ok with Dallas, but I'd hate it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »

LA followed by Chicago
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2014, 08:23:12 AM by Sbane »

The people who talk sh**t on Los Angeles and then go ahead and rank it ahead of San Diego are absolutely hilarious. It's quite easy to see who hasn't been to San Diego.

Also, can someone explain the appeal of Chicago. It's cold as hell, has some big buildings inside the loop but is mostly a sprawling metropolis much worse than Los Angeles or San Diego (actually most eastern cities are but the east coast people don't like to acknowledge it) and it's famous foods consist of diabetes and heart disease. So what am I missing here? What is there to like?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 08:25:22 AM »

1) San Diego
2) San Jose
3) Los Angeles
4) NYC
5) Philly
6) Phoenix
7) Chicago
8 ) Dallas
9) Houston
10) San Antonio
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »

The people who talk sh**t on Los Angeles and then go ahead and rank it ahead of San Diego are absolutely hilarious. It's quite easy to see who hasn't been to San Diego.

Also, can someone explain the appeal of Chicago. It's cold as hell, has some big buildings inside the loop but is mostly a sprawling metropolis much worse than Los Angeles or San Diego (actually most eastern cities are but the east coast people don't like to acknowledge it) and it's famous foods consist of diabetes and heart disease. So what am I missing here? What is there to like?

The question is asking about the cities one would wish to live in, not which cities' suburbs.  Yes, the Chicagoland suburbs sprawl worse than LA, but the urban fabric within the city itself is better and that's what matters here.

Also some of us like "cold as hell".  I would be disoriented and asea without my yearly dose of snow.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 07:13:02 PM »

The question is asking about the cities one would wish to live in, not which cities' suburbs.  Yes, the Chicagoland suburbs sprawl worse than LA, but the urban fabric within the city itself is better and that's what matters here.

Also some of us like "cold as hell".  I would be disoriented and asea without my yearly dose of snow.

I understand you may be talking about other facets of the city, but in terms of density, the core of Los Angeles is almost as dense as San Francisco with about the same population. Of course the city of Los Angeles takes in a lot of suburban areas like the SFV which skews the statistics.

And one thing I have learned over the years is that weather does matter when it comes to living in a particular area. Tennessee is too cold for me so I don't even want to find out what Chicago is like. To each his own, I suppose.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »

I see that my idea was used here. Wink

San Diego
San Jose
Los Angeles
Phoenix
NYC
Philadelphia
Chicago
Dallas
Houston
San Antonio

I see I'm in almost complete agreement here with Sbane (the only difference being that I ranked Phoenix ahead of NYC and Philly). It was close between the top 2. The Bay Area is one of my favourite places, but the South Bay wouldn't be my preference. So, I voted for the city of my birth, which also happens to have what I would consider to be near perfect weather. After the California cities, I'd go with the only non-Texas warm city. NYC is a fine choice that I can understand, but to me it has a number of flaws. Philly is just sort of there and I don't have a strong opinion either way. I cannot understand the appeal of Chicago among people here. The Texas cities, though they may be fine cities on their own, just have no appeal to me whatsoever. Not only are they part of Texas, but I have no tolerance for the combination of brutal heat combined with humidity.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »

NYC is close. Awesome city. But tempted to say LA for the far better weather.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies