Gay Teen Commits Suicide due to bullying; his donated eyes are rejected.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:48:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Teen Commits Suicide due to bullying; his donated eyes are rejected.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Teen Commits Suicide due to bullying; his donated eyes are rejected.  (Read 1280 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »

A portion of an organ donation from a deceased gay Iowa teen has been rejected due to his sexual orientation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/15/gay-teen-organs-rejected_n_5682039.html?utm_hp_ref=gay-voices

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration states in its organ donation guidelines that "men who have had sex with another man in the preceding five years" "should" be considered "ineligible" due to the risk factor for HIV or Hepatitis B transmission. The FDA also bans gay men from donating blood, while a heterosexual person who may have been exposed to HIV would only be deferred for a year.

I knew about the blood donation ban, but a recommended "suggestion" that gay men should be ineligible from donating organs as well?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 06:10:09 PM »

Can you even contract HIV through an eye transplant?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »

While the discrimination aspect of the ban on homosexual blood/organ donation is disgusting, I can see how a person might reject any type of organ from anyone (regardless of sexual preference) who may have been exposed to HIV. Of course, I am a very paranoid person who doesn't like to take risks of any kind, so this very well may just be my own backward thinking that flys in the face of science. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:58:54 PM »

As everybody knows, gay men are the only people capable of contracting HIV/AIDS.  What's more, it's just far too expensive and time consuming to test blood and organs for any diseases.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 07:25:36 PM »

While the discrimination aspect of the ban on homosexual blood/organ donation is disgusting, I can see how a person might reject any type of organ from anyone (regardless of sexual preference) who may have been exposed to HIV. Of course, I am a very paranoid person who doesn't like to take risks of any kind, so this very well may just be my own backward thinking that flys in the face of science. 

If we don't want populations with above-average HIV prevalence donating blood/organs/tissue, we should be forbidding black people from donating too. I'm sure that will go over well.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »

ouch.  Driven to suicide is bad enough, but to add insult to injury is really disheartening.  I've been rejected for blood donation, too, fwiw.  I haven't died, though, so I guess I can't totally relate.

When I was a teenager, we all sorta knew that "Poker eyes out 'n skullfuck 'er" was sort of a figure of speech.  A braggadocio, as it were.  I'm taken a bit aback as I learn that my elected government takes it a more literally than I did.  Serves me right, I suppose.  These bureaucrats were appointed by some of the people that I helped elect.  It sort of vindicates, however, my policy for the past decade or so of voting against every incumbent for every elected office.  
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »

As everybody knows, gay men are the only people capable of contracting HIV/AIDS.  What's more, it's just far too expensive and time consuming to test blood and organs for any diseases.

Yeah, this. Clearly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:33:40 PM »

Because corneas, unlike most other transplants, have no rejection risks there is a considerable supply of them compared to other body parts.  Also, there are synthetic or artificial corneas available, tho those are used in cases where there has been repeated failure of transplants or other problems on the recipient side that make corneal transplant not the preferred option.  In short, unlike any other human body part, eye banks can afford to be picky and reject donations for even the most inane of reasons.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 09:02:07 PM »

Wait, you can get eye transplants now???
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »

Think it's just the cornea, but that's enough to cure blindness in many cases.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »

how long can an organ be kept functional outside a living body?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2014, 09:27:45 PM by Passing Through a Screen Door »

I'm actually not particularly opposed to the FDA's ban on gay men as blood donors. I used to think it was ridiculous until I learned that the US is not unusual in the policy, it's actually standard in most developed Western countries. The fact is the rate of HIV infection amongst the gay community is 17 times that of people at large, the rate amongst blacks isn't anywhere near comparable. The real controversy isn't the ban but the fact that it's indefinite. The Red Cross lobbied the FDA to lower it to a one year deferral, which was rejected, but not repeal it altogether. Now changing the ban to a temporary deferral as many of those other countries have done is a reasonable policy and one I'd be in favor of, but I am now convinced that such policies are not based on homophobia or bigotry, especially when you consider the people in charge of setting them come from very educated backgrounds and are exactly the sort of people who'll support gay marriage. It's not like the FDA is made up exclusively of people who went to med school at fundamentalist colleges.

Here's a fairly amusing bit of irony: the Netherlands and Norway are amongst the countries that in addition to the US have lifetime deferrals, while Russia has no deferral at all. As strange as that sounds, it does show that moral approval of homosexual behavior is not much of a factor in a country's policies in regards to this.

However I don't believe corneas pose the same risk blood does. But of course I'm also not in any way even remotely qualified to make that sort of ruling.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »

Sad
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »

Terrible.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2014, 12:50:59 PM by Grumps »

The second part of this thread title could be a yawner because of the apparent science, if it wasn't preceded by a fellow committing suicide from bullying.........

I think HuffPo should now write more articles on being bullied, and articles on rejection of organs from gays, separately.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »

Just read about this, it's things like this that make me angry.  I have to lie to give blood.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »

Pretty despicable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies