Prediction: Will Wyoming pass Vermont in population by 2020? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:54:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Prediction: Will Wyoming pass Vermont in population by 2020? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will it?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Prediction: Will Wyoming pass Vermont in population by 2020?  (Read 4268 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 28, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »

I'm not really sure either way but I think the actual result will depend in large part on the state of the coal industry after the new president and Congress are elected in 2016.  If coal (finally) goes down then I imagine Wyoming's population will either stagnate or fall.  If coal continues to dominate the energy scene then I would guess Wyoming has a good chance of passing Vermont by 2020 and almost definitely by 2025.

Side note: regardless of the outcome of this little watermelon seed spitting contest, the fact that both of these states rank in the bottom five when it comes to population per House seat coupled with the fact that Montana, South Dakota, and Delaware are the three most underrepresented states in the House makes really a strong argument for increasing the number of representatives we have.  States with only one representative should ideally have a population equal to the median district size IMO.

Even if coal goes to sh**t, they still have fracking and renewables. Also, I imagine that geopolitical instability might cut off demand for cheap coal. Wyoming is a state of booms and busts. Some towns have just recovered from the last but in the 80s.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies