Who wins control?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:01:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who wins control?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Who will win Senate control in November?
Republicans

Democrats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Who wins control?  (Read 4793 times)
GaussLaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »

Dems hold the Senate 52-48.

Republicans pick up LA, MT, WV, SD
Democrats pick up KY and GA.

LOLno on Georgia.  Perdue is now up to 50 in SUSA's latest poll and all he has to do is keep Nunn under 50.
NHLiberal

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »

Dems hold the Senate 51-49.

Republicans pick up LA, MT, WV, SD, and AR

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2014, 07:40:23 PM »

Dems hold the Senate 51-49.

Republicans pick up LA, MT, WV, SD, and AR

At this point I think it is far more likely Democrats pick up GA than Georgia - though I doubt they'll win either.
KCDem

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »

The Democratic party easily retains control.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »

Seriously, what the hell have you been smoking these past few months. Even if the Democratic party retains control, it won't be "easily".
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2014, 09:29:56 PM »

Seriously, what the hell have you been smoking these past few months. Even if the Democratic party retains control, it won't be "easily".
KCDem

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2014, 12:21:49 AM »

"Easily" doesn't necessarily mean they'll have a large majority. But the Democrats have a high floor and low ceiling in the Senate. Predictions that the Democrats will lose 8-9 seats are laughable and extremely unlikely. For Republicans, the hardest will be to get to that 6th net seat pickup. You all need to stop reading RedState and use some analytical thinking.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2014, 02:09:07 AM »

Lean GOP (also voted so).

But still too early to tell.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »

I expect to see the GOP in control of the upper chamber by this time next year, and (combined with opportunistic defections) with a margin large enough to survive 2016. 
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »

Republicans gain 9 seats, South Dakota, West Virginia, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, North Carolina, Colorado, Iowa, and Alaska.

With Michigan, possibly a tenth, although I'm now leaning towards a Peters victory.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »

Republicans gain 9 seats, South Dakota, West Virginia, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, North Carolina, Colorado, Iowa, and Alaska.

With Michigan, possibly a tenth, although I'm now leaning towards a Peters victory.

Lol

But I predict the Democrats retain the Senate, from 50-50 to 52-48
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »

Lol

Hey considering the map, it's possible
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »

Lol

Hey considering the map, it's possible

But highly unlikely.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »

Lean GOP, with high variability. Right now the Dems lose SD, WV, and MT, are only even odds in AR, LA, NC, and AK (yes, Alaska will tighten up), and there's too much risk baked into IA and CO to feel comfortable. Match that against GA which is too inelastic to let Nunn win and KY, where Grimes is even odds to win, and I feel Dems need more breaks than Republicans to finish up even.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »

I mistook your signature for KCDem's reply: "What the hell have you been smoking?" "Common sense." Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Anyway, in answer to the thread's question, probably Republicans, but quite narrowly and they could well lose it again in 2016.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2014, 02:56:56 PM »

"Easily" doesn't necessarily mean they'll have a large majority. But the Democrats have a high floor and low ceiling in the Senate. Predictions that the Democrats will lose 8-9 seats are laughable and extremely unlikely. For Republicans, the hardest will be to get to that 6th net seat pickup. You all need to stop reading RedState and use some analytical thinking.

No one is reading Red State (whatever that is). The majority of outlets that cover the 2014 election in depth and use "analytical thinking" say that the republicans have a higher chance of taking control of the senate than democrats do of retaining control. I agree that republicans gaining 8-9 seats is unlikely, but whats also unlikely is that democrats end up with 52 seats or more after this election.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »

Whatever you're smoking, pass it, because IT HAS GOTTA BE GOOD.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2014, 09:03:11 AM »

Want me to link you to most every other analytical website
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2014, 09:16:07 AM »

Sure. Let's see the analytical website with the clear prediction that the GOP will pick up nine seats.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »

Sure. Let's see the analytical website with the clear prediction that the GOP will pick up nine seats.

From what I see at Upshot as of today, it looks like the GOP could conceivably win three safe pickups (MT/SD/WV), hold on to its two competitive seats (GA/KY), and win six of the seven Democrat-held competitive seats to pick up a total of nine seats. I think that's unlikely; a Republican net pick up of six or seven Senate seats is the most plausible outcome, but nine seats could happen on a good night for the GOP. The chance is low, but still there. So there isn't anyone making a clear prediction that the GOP will make a pickup of nine seats, but it's not completely ridiculous. After all, a lot could happen between now and November.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »

From what I see at Upshot as of today, it looks like the GOP could conceivably win three safe pickups (MT/SD/WV), hold on to its two competitive seats (GA/KY), and win six of the seven Democrat-held competitive seats to pick up a total of nine seats. I think that's unlikely; a Republican net pick up of six or seven Senate seats is the most plausible outcome, but nine seats could happen on a good night for the GOP. The chance is low, but still there. So there isn't anyone making a clear prediction that the GOP will make a pickup of nine seats, but it's not completely ridiculous. After all, a lot could happen between now and November.

They identify six Senate seats that the GOP has >50% chance of picking up.

I'm still waiting on the analysis that says that nine is a very real scenario.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2014, 09:57:27 AM by Never »

There isn't an analysis showing that (I'm pretty sure I clarified this in my prior post), but with Sabato having the high end of Republican pickups at eight, it is not out of the question that we could see a more favorable Republican environment between now and November showing the upper range of Republican pickups at nine.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »

There isn't an analysis showing that (I'm pretty sure I clarified this in my prior post), but with Sabato having the high end of Republican pickups at eight, it is not out of the question that we could see a more favorable Republican environment between now and November showing the upper range of Republican pickups at nine.

Good. That's what I was getting at here. Because of this:

Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »

Good. That's what I was getting at here. Because of this:

Okay, we're on the same page about this. I'm an avid follower of the major predictions, and I haven't seen an analysis showing a Republican pick up that large so far this year.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »

The tipping is most likely NC, AK or IA. CO NH and MI would be next. Maybe they will win 11. Maybe they will win 3.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies