Religion in Latin America 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:44:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Religion in Latin America 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Religion in Latin America 2014  (Read 1859 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »

Nobody is forcing you to associate with any church in Latin America. I also don't think you really understand that MaxQue is talking about Latin America within a Latin American context, and seemingly also about large masses of Latin American people rather than institutional leadership.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »

Protestants are almost a plurality in Guatemala and Honduras? Now I knew that the Evangelicals were big there, but....

Interesting that the Protestant population is still so low for Mexico in comparison.

Mexico is uneven. In Chiapas the Catholics are, I believe, under 60% by now. In Guanajuato they are well over 90%. So, it is not that the border is sharp. Then, again, evangelicals are the biggest among the native and the poor. The wealthy and educated classes tend to stay Catholic (if nominally).

In northern Mexico and parts of central Mexico there are non-negligible numbers of Protestants that converted in the late 19th and early 20th century. This demographic is very middle class and was liberal/revolutionary in the early 20th century but now tends to support the PAN.

In response to Snowstalker:
Presbyterianism is the most prominent Protestant denomination in Mexico, even in Chiapas. Many "mainstream" Protestant churches have a very significant presence throughout Central America. These Protestant churches tend to win converts based on their message of Christian univeralism and their superior provision of education/various social services. I can't say that the same is true for Evangelical churches in Central America but this is hardly a manifestation of the "far-right". If anything, the spiritual message of Protestantism succeeds in Central America because of its spiritual egalitarianism and is reflection of leftist values/aspirations.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 06:57:41 PM »

Don't know if the evangelical churches in Latin America are mostly complimentarianist or not, but if they aren't, then they are superior to Catholicism on those grounds alone. That issue is an absolute non-negotiable to me.

Catholics are mostly nominal or harmless.
Evangelicals are hardcore social conservatives, often Theocrats.

Yet, you prefer the theocrats.

Well conservative evangelicals tend to be complimentarians as well so I'm not including them. My point is that I would never associate with a complimentarian church. Ever. Under any circumstances.

Also are you familiar with the Catholic Church in Minnesota and how it acted in 2012 and 2013 over the gay marriage battles if you want to label it "harmless"?

I'm quite aware than Catholic leadership in Latin America is pretty much terrible, as is the USA one, but that wasn't my point. My point is than many, if not most, of those "Catholics" are pretty much only Catholics on forms. They barely go to church except for marriages, baptism and funerals and they don't give a damn about the opinion of the Church.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 10:24:04 PM »

Also I doubt the Pentecostals in Latin America like gays either.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 02:58:39 AM »

1. Expect BRTD to turn a thread about Christianity in Latin America into gay marriage in Minnesota and his hatred of Catholics.

2. Aren't the numbers for protestants much lower in the countries than in the reported aggregate? Or am I misunderstanding something?

3. As R&P moderator my belief is this shouldn't go to that board. The religion part of that board I believe is intended for religious philosophy and theology, not demographic or political aspects of religion.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 02:59:27 AM »

Ah, never mind, now I spotted the little text at the top explaining that the graph is only about Guatemala!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »

Protestants are almost a plurality in Guatemala and Honduras? Now I knew that the Evangelicals were big there, but....

Interesting that the Protestant population is still so low for Mexico in comparison.

Mexico is uneven. In Chiapas the Catholics are, I believe, under 60% by now. In Guanajuato they are well over 90%. So, it is not that the border is sharp. Then, again, evangelicals are the biggest among the native and the poor. The wealthy and educated classes tend to stay Catholic (if nominally).

In northern Mexico and parts of central Mexico there are non-negligible numbers of Protestants that converted in the late 19th and early 20th century. This demographic is very middle class and was liberal/revolutionary in the early 20th century but now tends to support the PAN.

Well, there are also old Mormon and Mennonite settlements there as well. And, of course, sure, there is proselytism among the rich as well. My wife right now is having breakfast with a neighbor who is an upper-middle-class evangelical missionary here (and, from what I figure, only deals with trying to convert within this class). There are baptist and other evangelical churches in Polanco, for god's sake. But the overall correlation is very clear.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 11:31:45 AM »

Any info for Colombia, Bolivia or Peru?

Protestantism is bigger with the indigenos/mestizos than the white Hispanics. The Catholic Church has a history in Central America of screwing over the natives and enforcing unjust hierarchies. Protestantism doesn't have that tainted history there.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies