FiveThirtyEight: 6 Most Likely Tipping Point Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:53:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FiveThirtyEight: 6 Most Likely Tipping Point Races
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FiveThirtyEight: 6 Most Likely Tipping Point Races  (Read 1909 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/six-consistently-close-races-will-probably-decide-control-of-the-senate/

Alaska
Arkansas
Colorado
Iowa
Louisiana
North Carolina
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »

Not to undercut Enten, but I think any of us here could have told ya'll that.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:47:04 PM »

Yeah, nothing we didn't already know
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »

Yeah
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »

Not to undercut Enten, but I think any of us here could have told ya'll that.

Yeah, seriously, 538 has been beyond useless throughout this election cycle so far.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »

538's sterile, soulless approach to politics is really kind of off putting. It's like they don't really understand its "soul," yet treat it like this exact science. It's like a bunch of high schoolers writing a report about a topic, but not really having any passion for it but thinking they're experts.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 04:17:40 PM »

And "a state like Colorado"? The hell is that supposed to mean? Since when was it a solid blue state?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »

^ It has a Democratic PVI. I don't think the implication was that it's solidly blue.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »

^ It has a Democratic PVI. I don't think the implication was that it's solidly blue.

Could have said that in the article. And the index is due to loony Republicans. Just looking at the last couple years there proves the PVI concept is crap
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 04:32:10 PM »

^ Er, ok. I don't consider McCain and Romney particularly 'loony' by Republican standards, but ok.

His point is that if Republicans are ousting an incumbent in a Democratic-tilting state, they've probably won the Senate. I agree.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 04:32:58 PM »

Could have said that in the article. And the index is due to loony Republicans. Just looking at the last couple years there proves the PVI concept is crap

PVI might not be perfect, rarely things like it are, but it does give a good indication on where the state stands.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 05:44:54 PM »

I predict (for now) CO & IA will stay Democratic, and AR will flip. LA will also likely flip if the Senate hangs in the balance for a runoff (but may still flip regardless). The others......Huh
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »

and they keep nominating silly people. ^^
GaussLaw
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:03:09 PM »

I would say the same thing about Missouri and secular, pro-abortion Democrats, but the reality is that PVI is just a reflection of election results.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »

Harry Enten is awful at analysis. I have no idea why Silver hired him.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »

Makes sense. 
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 07:39:38 PM »

Harry Enten is awful at analysis. I have no idea why Silver hired him.

I refer you to my "soulless" comment
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »

Well, not really.  Gardner and Beauprez were considered the two most ideal statewide candidates the GOP has in Colorado, unless Bill Owens or John Elway were to run.  You might think they're not particularly good candidates, but the consensus is that the GOP did a phenomenal job recruiting in Colorado.
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 08:11:32 PM »

PVI might not be perfect, rarely things like it are, but it does give a good indication on where the state stands.

I'm not sure about that.  PVIs don't stump on the campaign trail. They don't pick up endorsements.  They don't raise money.  They don't gaffe and charm voters.

Real candidates do that, and it is surely why Pat Toomey and Ron Johnson won in blue states in 2010 and why Heidi Heitkamp and Joe Donnelly won in red states in 2012. 

Interestingly, not a ton of people thought that any of those races would turn out that way precisely because they were stumbling over PVI numbers.

I suspect that Iowa and Colorado are more likely to flip this year than Alaska and North Carolina, and that is especially because of candidates and local dynamics that the PVI won't necessarily account for.
backtored
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:27 PM »

Well, not really.  Gardner and Beauprez were considered the two fairly favorable statewide candidates the GOP has in Colorado, unless Bill Owens or John Elway were to run.  You might think they're not particularly good candidates, but the consensus is that the GOP did a phenomenal job recruiting in Colorado.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »

Well, not really.  Gardner and Beauprez were considered the two fairly favorable statewide candidates the GOP has in Colorado, unless Bill Owens or John Elway were to run.  You might think they're not particularly good candidates, but the consensus is that the GOP did a phenomenal job recruiting in Colorado.

Which doesn't say that much. They will win iff (if and only if )they campaign very well or Udall and Hick campaign badly. I'm sure the GOP will do very well with cabinet positions.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »

Fortunately they will release their real model before September (words of Enten).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »

Fortunately they will release their real model before September (words of Enten).

Inch'Allah.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 08:04:39 AM »

538's sterile, soulless approach to politics is really kind of off putting. It's like they don't really understand its "soul," yet treat it like this exact science. It's like a bunch of high schoolers writing a report about a topic, but not really having any passion for it but thinking they're experts.

They've made an effort to carve out a niche in projecting election winners/losers by utilizing algorithms instead of gut-feeling--which has paid dividends through more accurate projections than those done by "experts" like George Will, Paul Begala, Peggy Noonan, and Alex Castellanos.

Their model is predicated upon removing "feeling" and "soul" from the process, because those create biases.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »

As expected. I think the order of likeliness of each being the tipping point is this:

1. Alaska
2. North Carolina
3. Louisiana
4. Iowa
5. Arkansas
6. Colorado
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies