Top 3 most hostile states to win a senate seat as a Democrat or Republican?,
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:46:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Top 3 most hostile states to win a senate seat as a Democrat or Republican?,
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top 3 most hostile states to win a senate seat as a Democrat or Republican?,  (Read 743 times)
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »

Its very hard to know what the democratic ceiling is in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah and Alabama in a competitive race.

Most difficult state to become a democratic senator
1 Idaho 
2 Alabama
3 Utah

I was going to put Texas with the expensive market and the sheer number of votes needed to get over the top but these states have so many more problems like even getting a grassroots on the ground to get out a vote. Utah is 3rd simple because there is at least one plausible candidate that could make it competitive. Idaho and Alabama there is nobody.

Most difficult state to become a republican senator
1 New York
2 California
3 Hawaii

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »

Worst for Democrats:
Kansas (no Democrat elected to the Senate since the 1930s)
Utah
Wyoming or Idaho

Worst for Republicans:
Hawaii
Maryland
California perhaps
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:21:28 PM »

On paper, I'd say Utah is one of the most hostile states for Dems, but I could easily see Jim Matheson getting elected to something statewide within the next decade.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:03:41 AM »

On paper, I'd say Utah is one of the most hostile states for Dems, but I could easily see Jim Matheson getting elected to something statewide within the next decade.

What, though? I mean, for sure one of the safe Dem seats in the State Senate or State House, but I would doubt that would be up his alley.

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:07:00 AM »

Wyoming, Utah, and (now) Oklahoma for democrats.

Hawaii, Massachusetts, and (now) Vermont for republicans.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »

User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25:36 AM »

There are other states where democrats have nobody and zero chance. At least Utah there is a candidate.

When was the last time democrats were competitive in Idaho?
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »

There are other states where democrats have nobody and zero chance. At least Utah there is a candidate.

Their last Democratic Senator was defeated in 1980.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »

They won one of the two house seats in 2008, though that was an anomaly for obvious reasons. I guess the closest to becoming competitive they've gotten in recent years is the 2006 governor race.

Yeah, forgot about that. Brown would've lost against any non-Coakley candidate anyway and hes going to lose in a big defeat in New Hampshire this year. I guess New York or Maryland could be another state if not Massachusetts.
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »

They won one of the two house seats in 2008, though that was an anomaly for obvious reasons. I guess the closest to becoming competitive they've gotten in recent years is the 2006 governor race.

Yeah, forgot about that. Brown would've lost against any non-Coakley candidate anyway and hes going to lose in a big defeat in New Hampshire this year. I guess New York or Maryland could be another state if not Massachusetts.

Michael steele was unlucky in 2006 and they have voted for republican governors this century.

I am curious to know what a democratic win in Idaho would look like from a county map perspective.

Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »

Michael steele was unlucky in 2006 and they have voted for republican governors this century.

I am curious to know what a democratic win in Idaho would look like from a county map perspective.

IDK how to make a map, but mostly a Democratic win in Idaho would have the Dem winning all of Boise and suburbs along with most of North Idaho.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »

Here's what a 49.93-48.99% win looks like:

User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How did you do that? What data are you using considering the changing demographies and increase in population?

Thanks though Smiley
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »

^ Its the 1986 Gov. election.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 02:14:48 PM »

Republicans - Vermont, New York, Hawaii
Democrats - Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »

Democrats - Wyoming, Idaho, Kansas.

Republicans - Maryland, New York, California.

MA and VT have such huge Independent populations that a liberal Republican can still squeak out a victory in the right circumstances.  Brown won in 2010 and VT had a Republican governor 5 short years ago.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »

Democrats: Oklahoma, Wyoming, Alabama
Republicans: California, New York, Maryland
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length