should kids be allowed to wear clothing with these pictures on them to school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:23:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should kids be allowed to wear clothing with these pictures on them to school?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: should kids be allowed to wear clothing with these pictures on them to school?
A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

none of these

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: should kids be allowed to wear clothing with these pictures on them to school?  (Read 3809 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2005, 12:19:30 PM »

No, this is not the same as my previous thread because I'm posting specific pictures here. Check all you think should be allowed:

A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

F:

G:

H:
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 12:31:01 PM »

What's up with pic C?
I voted before I even looked at the pics, btw.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 12:34:10 PM »

doesn't appear for you? well, it's just a typical swastika.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 12:43:40 PM »

In a public school, any of them.  In a private school, whatever the rulebook says, including none of them, is fine with me. 

I should say that that's my answer for a generic student.  As in, I don't think there should be rules against it.  For my own son, I don't want him wearing pictures of Chairman Mao, of CSA battle flags, of Schwastikas, or one that calls Bush a terrorist.  Actually, the cross is a bit creepy for me too, but I suppose if he found some cult he really wanted to be a part of, and they didn't seem too harmful, then I'd accept his judgement.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 12:44:46 PM »

The Confederate flag would obviously be allowed in any reasonable school, but public schools should not exist.

The international terrorist pic is fine for special ed.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 12:46:06 PM »

The international terrorist pic is fine for special ed.

Cheesy

Timmy!  Timmy says Bush terrorist.  Timmy!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 01:26:29 PM »

They're all fine as far as I'm concerned. As far as policy, it should be consistent - either all of them should be allowed or none of them(and this includes other political statements).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 01:26:48 PM »

In a public school, any of them.  In a private school, whatever the rulebook says, including none of them, is fine with me. 

I should say that that's my answer for a generic student.  As in, I don't think there should be rules against it.  For my own son, I don't want him wearing pictures of Chairman Mao, of CSA battle flags, of Schwastikas, or one that calls Bush a terrorist.  Actually, the cross is a bit creepy for me too, but I suppose if he found some cult he really wanted to be a part of, and they didn't seem too harmful, then I'd accept his judgement.

Thank you! Smiley
Altough I'd be proud if my son wore a confederate flag.

EDIT: Oh, and public schools should not exist.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 01:28:43 PM »

All of the above.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 09:09:08 PM »

Same here.
Cashcow

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 09:16:42 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2005, 09:18:40 PM by Alcon »

All of the above, however, I would personally beat the living daylights out of anyone wearing the Arrowcross. I'm stunned that it's recieved more votes than the swastika; clearly, no one is aware that they were worse than the Nazis.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 09:19:44 PM »

All of the above, however, I would personally beat the living daylights out of anyone wearing the Arrowcross. I'm stunned that it's recieved more votes than the swastika; clearly, no one is aware that they were worse than the Nazis.

I'm suprised someone recognized it. Kudos for being historically aware.
Cashcow

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 09:21:59 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2005, 09:41:39 PM by Cashcow »

I'm surprised it was posted. Kudos to you for the same! I'm Hungarian, FYI. Wink

Edit: Alcon, are you having some sort of personal problems? Is the word "sh**t" really more offensive than the picture in someone's signature calling Rick Santorum a fag, or NixonNow's death threats? Angus and Bob say things much worse than that several times a day. You are clearly biased against me as a user. Find something better to do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 09:24:31 PM »

I'm surprised it was posted. Kudos to you for the same! I'm Hungarian, FYI. Wink

ah, that explains it. Didn't you say you were Jewish too? That's probably the one symbol a Hungarian Jew would hate most.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 09:25:58 PM »

Only E, along with any other religious symbols.  The rest are symbols of hate groups or are used by fascists/communits.  Schools shouldn't encourage that. Students can wear this crap when they're busting up car windows or smoking crack outside of school. School is for learning, not political statements.
Cashcow

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 09:29:33 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2005, 09:37:52 PM by Cashcow »

ah, that explains it. Didn't you say you were Jewish too? That's probably the one symbol a Hungarian Jew would hate most.

Yes, the Arrowcross is personally responsible for killing 30% of my family tree (in that generation) and driving many of my immediate ancestors into starvation for years. I try not to be biased, but anyone who has read about similar German groups and the Arrowcross would know which one was more brutal. They had no regard for our cities, they destroyed the towns, farms, and villages; they raped the entire nation of Hungary in a way that no Russian bombing ever could. No Jew or other detested minority was even given a chance to survive or labor, they were simply taken out into the street and shot. Over a period of just a few months, almost none survived. The Nazis never came close to that.

However, people can wear what they want, as long as they don't expect to be left alone for it.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 09:37:53 PM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 09:41:30 PM »

Only E, along with any other religious symbols. ... School is for learning, not political statements.

School is for learning, not religious statements. Wink

Just pointing out that this isn't very consistent reasoning, Jake, that's all.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 09:45:34 PM »

Only E, along with any other religious symbols. ... School is for learning, not political statements.

True, but a cross will not cause an uproar like a hateful shirt like those would. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 09:47:34 PM »

A, B, D and H aren't hateful.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 09:48:36 PM »

True, but a cross will not cause an uproar like a hateful shirt like those would. 

Depends what school, and the time period. You shouldn't allow something simply because it isn't as controversial.
Cashcow

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 09:48:57 PM »

Though I don't have a political problem with hateful shirts, I agree with Jake on this one. Religious symbols are sometimes required - swastikas are not. The excuse "it's part of my religion" is not acceptable in that situation. Some things are just wrong.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 09:51:13 PM »

Neither is a swastika by that logic.  Hitler=Stalin=Mao, Swastika=Sickle & Hammer=Arrowcross, Nazis=Maoists=Communists.

And Akno, like I said, school is about learning, not "expressing yourself" or "making a statement". That's why uniforms are a good idea. Let kids learn and let them weat whatever they want when they leave school.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 09:53:33 PM »

If you think uniforms would stifle all expression, you are sadly mistaken. Earrings, shoes, hair-style, there are plenty of things that will still be different about the kids. And the idea of making everyone the same is not one we need to impress on students. Uniforms wouldn't solve the problem. You're always going to have good kids and bad kids, rich kids and poor kids, unforms won't change that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 09:53:52 PM »

Neither is a swastika by that logic.  Hitler=Stalin=Mao, Swastika=Sickle & Hammer=Arrowcross, Nazis=Maoists=Communists.

And Akno, like I said, school is about learning, not "expressing yourself" or "making a statement". That's why uniforms are a good idea. Let kids learn and let them weat whatever they want when they leave school.

OK, I'll give you A, but B and H are symbols of Communist organizations that did NOT kill anyone, and that still doesn't cover D.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies