Should Colorado have to pay for neighboring state's marijuana prohibition? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:28:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Colorado have to pay for neighboring state's marijuana prohibition? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?Should Colorado have to pay for neighboring state's marijuana prohibition?
Yes

No

lolwut

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Should Colorado have to pay for neighboring state's marijuana prohibition?  (Read 2838 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: August 20, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2014, 11:14:45 AM by True Federalist »

In this article, Sherrif's from counties bordering Colorado tell their sob story of having to spend money to incarcerate those in possession of Marijuana. It's not as if anyone is forcing them to arrest these people....The best part about the article was the lady who thought 13 year olds shouldn't know about weed. Seriously?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »

What do you think of their opinion that Colorado subsidize their unproductive behavior of locking up people with Marijuana?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »

Definitely think it will be part of the Republican agenda if Republicans sweep this year.

I don't think even drug warriors would want the tax revenue to leave the state. If the republicans tried something, there would be a backlash. Also, are there any Rand Paul style Republicans in the legislature?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:13:05 PM »

How much discretion do local sheriff departments have? I don't think Rural County, Kansas has the option of disregarding the laws that come from Topeka. I'm not at all sympathetic to prohibition, but I can see where local law enforcement may be in a difficult place as well.

They can always look the other way.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 08:48:56 AM »

The problem is many of these sheriff's departments are defining "probably cause" as "has a Colorado license plate". Considering how easy it is to transport marijuana and not get caught, I doubt the increased arrests are all solely due to the greater supply. That's basically why the whole bit about the sheriff's departments not making the laws doesn't really hold up. For comparison Pennsylvania gun laws are far more lax than in New Jersey or New York, but that doesn't mean police in those states constantly pull over and search Pennsylvania cars and assume all are carrying guns.

I take your point, but that dog just isn't going to hunt in court.

No but driving "erratically" or "looked like he wasn't wearing a seatbelt" will. It's not probable cause to search the car though. Can saying they smelt marijuana constitute probable cause to search the car?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »

If Arizona legalised hand grenades, and young people had a habit of lobbing hand grenades, would California police be wrong to arrest people who had purchased hand grenades in Arizona? Or would you advise that California legalise hand grenades as well?

Do you understand the concept of victimless crimes?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »

If Arizona legalised hand grenades,

and young people had a habit of lobbing hand grenades, would California police be wrong to arrest people who had purchased hand grenades in Arizona? Or would you advise that California legalise hand grenades as well?

Do you understand the concept of victimless crimes?

If you lob a grenade in the woods, does it have a victim?

If you smoke marijuana in front of someone who is bothered by the stench,  is there a victim?

Do you hold marijuana smoke to a different standard than cigarette smoke?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »

You can easily ban the act of smoking in public or in the presence of other people while still making marijuana legal for the public to consume in the privacy of their own homes.

Which is exactly what Colorado has done.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »

Can't they just increase the amounts required for bail or add additional local civil penalties?

Typical Inks
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 08:15:23 PM »

Can't they just increase the amounts required for bail or add additional local civil penalties?

Typical Inks

I fully support legalization, but that's not something the sheriffs can change.  There's absolutely no reason Colorado should pay for it, so the remaining options are to not enforce it (which could have its own negative ramifications and cops could lose their jobs if the state still wants it enforced) or offset the costs.

If the state wants it enforced, they should pay for it then. In any case, I highly doubt any cop is going to lose his job because he didn't incarcerate some dude with weed.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:02:29 PM »

Typical Inks

I fully support legalization, but that's not something the sheriffs can change.  There's absolutely no reason Colorado should pay for it, so the remaining options are to not enforce it (which could have its own negative ramifications and cops could lose their jobs if the state still wants it enforced) or offset the costs.

If the state wants it enforced, they should pay for it then. In any case, I highly doubt any cop is going to lose his job because he didn't incarcerate some dude with weed.

But if the state doesn't increase county jail funding, counties can't force it.

If the state makes a big deal about border counties not enforcing marijuana laws, there will be pressure on them to fund these counties jails.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies