Who do you think is more strongly disliked in Kansas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:44:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who do you think is more strongly disliked in Kansas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who do you think is more strongly disliked in Kansas at this moment?
Sam Brownback

Barack Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Who do you think is more strongly disliked in Kansas?  (Read 2492 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:14:36 PM »

Who do you think is more strongly disliked in Kansas at this moment?

I'm going with option two because I'm not a Forum Dem hack.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »

Obama is probably more intensely disliked.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

Probably Obama, because he's Obama.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:39:15 PM »

Black President + lots of angry rural whites = no contest, Obama.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »

Black President + lots of angry rural whites = no contest, Obama.

Race baiting at its finest
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »

Obama
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:31:53 AM »

Well, there's Obama's white relatives in Kansas. Although maybe they don't count, since they might be part black, too.

http://corporate.ancestry.com/press/press-releases/2012/07/ancestry.com-discovers-president-obama-related-to-first-documented-slave-in-america/
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 05:33:10 AM »

Obama. But Paul Davis is not Barack Obama, and Sam Brownback is Sam Brownback, so the fact that he's a bit less disliked than Obama doesn't make the race SAFE GOP!11!!!!!1!!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »

According to recent polling, Obama and Brownback have near identically poor approval/disapproval ratings. Obama is surely more intensely disliked because in almost any state voters care more (whether positively or negatively) about their president than their governor. While that dynamic will certainly help Roberts's re-election to the Senate, it won't have as much impact on the governor's race. Simply put, voters' disapproval of their governor matters more than their disapproval of the president while casting their ballots for governor.

One other point I noticed: Among the near quarter of KS voters who are very or somewhat liberal, over a fifth disapprove of Obama. Davis, meanwhile, doesn't have nearly the same disapproval rating among that contingent (particularly among the more numerous "somewhat liberals"). I know Democrats like to claim that a notable share of Obama's disapproval comes from voters who feel he hasn't been liberal enough, but in KS that actually may be case to the tune of about 4-5% points. Conversely, it's difficult to envision many, if any, conservative Kansans (outside some rare Phelps family-like extremists) who seriously believe Brownback isn't conservative enough.

KS's strong conservative Republican lean still gives Brownback a chance with Obama in the White House, but he's still got quite the hole to dig himself out of.
NHLiberal

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »

According to recent polling, Obama and Brownback have near identically poor approval/disapproval ratings. Obama is surely more intensely disliked because in almost any state voters care more (whether positively or negatively) about their president than their governor. While that dynamic will certainly help Roberts's re-election to the Senate, it won't have as much impact on the governor's race. Simply put, voters' disapproval of their governor matters more than their disapproval of the president while casting their ballots for governor.

One other point I noticed: Among the near quarter of KS voters who are very or somewhat liberal, over a fifth disapprove of Obama. Davis, meanwhile, doesn't have nearly the same disapproval rating among that contingent (particularly among the more numerous "somewhat liberals"). I know Democrats like to claim that a notable share of Obama's disapproval comes from voters who feel he hasn't been liberal enough, but in KS that actually may be case to the tune of about 4-5% points. Conversely, it's difficult to envision many, if any, conservative Kansans (outside some rare Phelps family-like extremists) who seriously believe Brownback isn't conservative enough.

KS's strong conservative Republican lean still gives Brownback a chance with Obama in the White House, but he's still got quite the hole to dig himself out of.

Everything you just said is spot on
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 04:21:09 PM »

It depends on how you interpret the question. Brownback's specific policies are better known to most Kansans and have a more direct affect. That being said, if you gave them an option and told them they could remove one from office, the vast majority would go with Obama.

Does that make sense?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »

Who said that Brownback was more disliked? Certainly not me. Wink
KCDem

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »

This poll is dumb and tells us nothing about the Kansas gubernatorial race. Nice try, Keystone.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 07:58:27 PM »

This poll is dumb and tells us nothing about the Kansas gubernatorial race. Nice try, Keystone.

It wasn't meant to tell you about the Gubernatorial race. Well, other than combating the hackery that has run wild in that thread about how Obama and Brownback are basically disliked with the same intensity.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »

Brownback is more disliked because he's had an actual negative effect on people's lives, while Obama has had an actual positive effect through Obamacare/Medicade expansion, improved economic conditions and smarter use of military powers abroad.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 09:41:01 PM »

Brownback is more disliked because he's had an actual negative effect on people's lives, while Obama has had an actual positive effect through Obamacare/Medicade expansion, improved economic conditions and smarter use of military powers abroad.

Right. I'm sure that's exactly how most Americans, and especially Kansans, see it!
NHLiberal

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 09:43:02 PM »

I don't think people in Kansas (or a lot of people in almost every state) see it like that. And I'm not sure I agree with that last example.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 09:43:56 PM »

It wasn't meant to tell you about the Gubernatorial race. Well, other than combating the hackery that has run wild in that thread about how Obama and Brownback are basically disliked with the same intensity.

I'm curious about the real numbers for that. Might be a question worth asking in their next poll.

Agreed. I'd actually anticipate it being somewhat close, probably with a small lead for Obama. But unfortunately for Brownback, Obama isn't on the ballot and he is.

A "small lead" for Obama. In a safe GOP state, you really think Brownback is that viciously hated that Obama would only have a "small lead" in the "Disliked More" category. Oh man.

P.S. - Bush wasn't on the ballot in 2006. Obama wasn't on the ballot in 2010.

Uh, yes? Maybe not small overall, but small relative to what one would expect. It wouldn't take very many "crossovers" to keep it within single digits, for instance.

The fact that this thread was started based on a comment nobody made is pretty funny.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:32 AM »

I'm curious about the real numbers for that. Might be a question worth asking in their next poll.

Agreed. I'd actually anticipate it being somewhat close, probably with a small lead for Obama. But unfortunately for Brownback, Obama isn't on the ballot and he is.

A "small lead" for Obama. In a safe GOP state, you really think Brownback is that viciously hated that Obama would only have a "small lead" in the "Disliked More" category. Oh man.

Uh, yes? Maybe not small overall, but small relative to what one would expect. It wouldn't take very many "crossovers" to keep it within single digits, for instance.

The fact that this thread was started based on a comment nobody made is pretty funny.

I said "Obama and Brownback aren't equally hated." Sawx said he'd like to see the numbers on that. That led me to asking what the Forum thinks. Poor attempt at a "Gotcha!," Icespear.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »

I said "Obama and Brownback aren't equally hated." Sawx said he'd like to see the numbers on that. That led me to asking what the Forum thinks. Poor attempt at a "Gotcha!," Icespear.

I said I think Obama would have a smaller than expected lead. As far as I can tell, Sawx never said what he thought the result would be, just that it would be an interesting question to ask. So you're attacking a strawman here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »

I said I think Obama would have a smaller than expected lead. As far as I can tell, Sawx never said what he thought the result would be, just that it would be an interesting question to ask. So you're attacking a strawman here.

Let me repeat: Sawx said he was curious about the result. I never said what he thought the result would be. I wanted the Forum's take. I made a poll. Please, get over it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »

Phil is right.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

Obama and Brownback are probably about equally disliked, but the dislike for Obama is obviously of a stronger vintage and it's ridiculous to argue otherwise.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »

Let me repeat: Sawx said he was curious about the result. I never said what he thought the result would be. I wanted the Forum's take. I made a poll. Please, get over it.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? You just stated in your last post you made this thread to "combat the hackery about Obama and Brownback being equally disliked", when literally nobody in that thread said they were.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 03:53:05 PM »

Here's what I actually said:

"It wasn't meant to tell you about the Gubernatorial race. Well, other than combating the hackery that has run wild in that thread about how Obama and Brownback are basically disliked with the same intensity."

Let's focus on the last few words there: "basically disliked with the same intensity." That means some people were suggesting that the level of dislike for both was pretty close to even. 

Don't misquote me and expect to get away with it.

Now let's look at a comment from the poster known as IceSpear: "Agreed. I'd actually anticipate it being somewhat close, probably with a small lead for Obama. But unfortunately for Brownback, Obama isn't on the ballot and he is."

The bolded text suggests that you believe the level of distaste for both might not be equal but would be pretty close to even. And almost no one here agrees with you. Again, get over it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies