Oil Pipeline Funding Expungement Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:17:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Oil Pipeline Funding Expungement Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Oil Pipeline Funding Expungement Act (Law'd)  (Read 5400 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »

May I ask you why in particular you oppose this? What is wrong with this bill in your eyes?

Are you aware of the current gas prices? Higher gas and energy prices make for less discretionary income. As our (Atlasian) economy hasn't fully recovered. We should be about promoting growth economically. Allowing the Keystone pipeline and opening ANWAR for drilling will reduce prices in the long term. In addition I suggest converting our vehicles to natural gas which we have enough of(several hundred years if not more) to utilize until we can find an efficient and cheap means of using green energy to fuel our vehicles.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »

We already have some of the lowest energy prices in the word. Even with Atlasia's modest carbon tax, these prices do not fully reflect the social costs associated with burning fossil fuels.

Reducing energy prices across the board encourages waste and discourages conservation. Lower per unit prices should not be a goal of our energy policy.

Those carbon taxes are turned into higher prices. In a sense forcing conservation. That is not the governments place.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »

We already have some of the lowest energy prices in the word. Even with Atlasia's modest carbon tax, these prices do not fully reflect the social costs associated with burning fossil fuels.

Reducing energy prices across the board encourages waste and discourages conservation. Lower per unit prices should not be a goal of our energy policy.

Those carbon taxes are turned into higher prices. In a sense forcing conservation. That is not the governments place.

Then whose is it?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 02:16:00 AM »

May I ask you why in particular you oppose this? What is wrong with this bill in your eyes?

Are you aware of the current gas prices? Higher gas and energy prices make for less discretionary income. As our (Atlasian) economy hasn't fully recovered. We should be about promoting growth economically. Allowing the Keystone pipeline and opening ANWAR for drilling will reduce prices in the long term. In addition I suggest converting our vehicles to natural gas which we have enough of(several hundred years if not more) to utilize until we can find an efficient and cheap means of using green energy to fuel our vehicles.

The only thing, and really the only thing we are doing here is to cancel funding for newly built pipelines. This bill probably is the most toothless piece of legislation regarding that issue, in forever, and still you oppose it because "muh gas cheap, muh gas cheaper, muh gas brilliant". First of all, shouldn't it be that you as a Libertarian must be content with cancelling funding? Secondly, how in earth should gas prices increase but a tiny little tad, if we keep the funding for the delivery of gas and oil and the funding for existing pipelines?
You may very well suggest these things, if I may then suggest for you to live either in the desert of Arizona or no higher than 1m above the sea level, for, I guess the next twenty years should suffice.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »

I believe JCL's position on the veracity of climate science is important here.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 10:06:02 PM »

Cranberry's amendment has been adopted.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 09:07:11 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Senators have 24 hours to object.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 02:26:55 AM »

I object.
This just disables the bill even more, and it is at self a very toothless piece of legislation. We could call it then the "let's do everything that JCL is happy because muh gas act".
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 12:19:43 PM »

In light of Senator Cranberry's objection, a vote is now open on the proposed amendment. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 12:21:34 PM »

Aye

I don't like gutting this portion either, but I do think that, in light of some comments made by the SecIntAffairs and others, we should tread carefully in disabling federal funding for NatGas pipelines. NatGas isn't my first choice for energy, either. I want to see a fully renewable grid, too, but at this point, I wouldn't want to risk resuming coal production on a massive scale and thus undermining the entire point of this bill by cutting off funding for NatGas pipelines.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »

Aye.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »

Nay

I don't like gutting this portion either, but I do think that, in light of some comments made by the SecIntAffairs and others, we should tread carefully in disabling federal funding for NatGas pipelines. NatGas isn't my first choice for energy, either. I want to see a fully renewable grid, too, but at this point, I wouldn't want to risk resuming coal production on a massive scale and thus undermining the entire point of this bill by cutting off funding for NatGas pipelines.
But we don't cut off funding for NatGas... The only thing we do with this bill is to do not fund any new natural gas pipelines, we keep the funding for all existing pipelines, and for all existing and new delivery. Heck, am I completely understanding this bills wrong or what? It says clear: "No new (..) pipelines shall be constructed with federal aid (...)." So, in what way does that affect our energy security? In no way. Just because Exxon or BP now have to pay for their new pipelines themselves, that doesn't dismantle all existing pipelines, and stops them from further sourcing gas and oil.... I really don't get your opinions there...
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »

Aye
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »

The reason I am defending the current funding on natural gas is we need a transition point between what we are utilizing right now and the renewables with regards to our transportation industries. Natural gas is one of the cleanest non-renewables and we have enough of it to cover any transition time needed to a strictly renewable set up (like hydrogen fuel cells).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »

Nay
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »

Thank you Wink
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 06:57:37 PM »

AYE
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »

Aye
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 09:08:48 AM »

The amendment has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 12:02:41 PM »

The amendment has been adopted.

Would anyone like to add anything else, or are we prepared to take this to a final vote?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

Since no one seemed to care to respond to my arguments presented against the amendment, I guess no one has any problems with this, but that just as a side note.
While I of course support the objectives of this form of the bill as well, I don't think this bill deserves the name "Clean Energy Act". What do we do? We cut of funding for new oil pipelines in Atlasia. How much of our energy funding numbers goes to that process? Not that much. How much cleaner do we make our energy with this? Not that much. One can call this bill many names, but it certainly does not deserve the name "Clean Energy Act" anymore.
Hence, the following amendment:

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »

Amendment is friendly. Senators have 24 hours to object.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »

Aye FTR on the previous Amendment vote.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »

The Amendment has been adopted.

Unless anyone is opposed, I would like to move that we have a final vote on this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies