Which Batman director is your favorite?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:53:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which Batman director is your favorite?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which?
Burton

Schumacher

Nolan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Which Batman director is your favorite?  (Read 1219 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »

Well?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:15:07 PM »

Nolan

Burton

Schumacher   
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »

Nolan.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »

Basically this.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »

Burton by process of elimination.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 04:05:57 PM »

LOL @ no votes for Schumacher so far.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »

Nor does he deserve any.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »

Burton > Nolan > Schumacher, though Dark Knight Rises is the worst Batman movie.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »

Burton > Nolan > Schumacher, though Dark Knight Rises is the worst Batman movie.

Agreed. Batman & Robin at least has legitimate entertainment value.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »

I would rank Batman Forever as the worst one. It wasn't bad enough to be funny like Batman & Robin or Bane's voice in TDKR. It was just annoyingly bad.

Nolan's a better director than Burton.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 05:25:40 PM »

Nolan

Burton

Schumacher (though I loved what he did with Phantom of the Opera... of course Batman and Phantom of the Opera are totally different  things)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »

Lambert Hillyer
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 07:04:28 PM »

Nolan. I DO NOT see the appeal of the 89 movie
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »

Of course Atlas would slobber all over the 3dark5me Nolan films.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »

Nolan. I DO NOT see the appeal of the 89 movie

... you did not just write that.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 10:30:17 PM »

Chris Nolan is a mediocre film director.  He makes movies with a few cool shots, but no plot, no characters and no heart.  He sometimes has a decent action scene, although his fight scenes are generally terrible and too quick with the camera. 

The third batman movie was total garbage.  The characters made no sense, the plot was stupid and the movie was dreary and extremely boring.  Nolan just tricks people into thinking his movies are profound and raise important questions.  Unfortunately, they just sort of hint at big questions, but never explore those questions or use the story to advance characters through a journey.  A character will just blatantly say, "I represent this theme!"  I think the Joker just actually says, "I represent chaos."  That's merely a simulacrum of drama and serious filmmaking for unsophisticated dullards.  Maybe that sounds mean, but it's the truth. 

So, if you're going to fail so spectacularly at making a serious movie, just make it fun and exciting.  The Burton movies are fun, stylish and well-paced.  The art direction is great and Michael Keaton is  an extremely charming actor.  And say what you will about Batman & Robin, at least it was super homo-erotic. 
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »

It's not BAD, I just don't get it. It's aged like cheese
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »

Burton, especially since he directed the Batman movies in his heyday.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »

schumacher is actually pretty good director for what he does and i admire his sense of humor. also love the bizarre combo of elements he went with for his gotham. dayglo paint and black lights, cgi, cheesy low budget plastic sets and costumes alongside multimillion dollar pieces, expressionist looking cities, homoeroticism, alicia silverstone even if she was sort of wasted... really interesting blend of trashy alongside the elegant. with that said a batman movie more along the lines of falling down or at least flatliners would have obviously been better... but i really do enjoy the campy '90s batman. certainly more inspired than the last nolan film (not being a contrarian hipster f**k i liked the first 2 he did and bane at least). or the absolutely cringe worthy looking batman vs superman movie coming our way. ugh
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »

I'm not a fan of Schumacher direction. Even in decent script movies he's made like Falling Down, he tends to overstuff his shots. There's always too many extras doing weird things everywhere and strange props scattered around the sets.

He's the practical effects Michael Bay.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »

I'm not a fan of Schumacher direction. Even in decent script movies he's made like Falling Down, he tends to overstuff his shots. There's always too many extras doing weird things everywhere and strange props scattered around the sets.

He's the practical effects Michael Bay.
i've noticed that and it actually works for me. i'd rather have a lot of clutter (which is fairly true to life) and strange easter eggs than sparse, dehumanized environments like nolan tends towards.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »

Chris Nolan is a mediocre film director.  He makes movies with a few cool shots, but no plot, no characters and no heart.  He sometimes has a decent action scene, although his fight scenes are generally terrible and too quick with the camera. 

The third batman movie was total garbage.  The characters made no sense, the plot was stupid and the movie was dreary and extremely boring.  Nolan just tricks people into thinking his movies are profound and raise important questions.  Unfortunately, they just sort of hint at big questions, but never explore those questions or use the story to advance characters through a journey.  A character will just blatantly say, "I represent this theme!"  I think the Joker just actually says, "I represent chaos."  That's merely a simulacrum of drama and serious filmmaking for unsophisticated dullards.  Maybe that sounds mean, but it's the truth. 

So, if you're going to fail so spectacularly at making a serious movie, just make it fun and exciting.  The Burton movies are fun, stylish and well-paced.  The art direction is great and Michael Keaton is  an extremely charming actor.  And say what you will about Batman & Robin, at least it was super homo-erotic. 

Nolan has a 86 average on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.3 average on IMDB and 4 of his movies are on Empire's 500 greatest films of all time. That doesn't scream mediocre film director to me.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »

Nolan has a 86 average on Rotten Tomatoes, 8.3 average on IMDB and 4 of his movies are on Empire's 500 greatest films of all time. That doesn't scream mediocre film director to me.

Those are averages that include people with no taste.  If someone doesn't know anything about beer and they've only had Bud and Miller, you wouldn't ask their opinion on beer, right?  If you look at actual movie critics, I'm sure Christopher Nolan is not that well respected.  And, in terms of that list of the top 500 movies, give me a break.  That list is obviously garbage.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »

I'd say it narrowly goes to Burton. The Dark Knight narrowly beats Batman 89 in my view (though both are amazing movies), but the other two DK saga movies are mediocre, so overall I must choose Burton.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 02:31:12 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2014, 08:29:32 PM by SJoyce of Harrenhal »

Martinson, of course. Surprised nobody mentioned him yet.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies