How do Dems gain net House seats this election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:04:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How do Dems gain net House seats this election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do Dems gain net House seats this election?  (Read 529 times)
GaussLaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/2014-house/

I see quite a few people saying Dems will gain House seats this cycle.  I just don't see how that's possible   

The GOP gets two automatic pickups (Matheson, McIntyre) and so do the Dems, though a bit less so (Grimm, Miller-open).

Republicans only have 3 tossup seats while Dems have 10.  I know Sabato gets a lot of flack here, but it seems like there just aren't enough races for the Dems to gain seats.  Besides, the electorate will be more GOP-friendly in 2014 than in 2012, so the idea of gaining seats just doesn't make sense.
KCDem

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:22:07 PM »

Easy, because there are fewer competitive Democratic-held districts than Republican-held ones. Also, you didn't really explain away Sabato's joke ratings in your post, so...nice try.
GaussLaw
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »

Easy, because there are fewer competitive Democratic-held districts than Republican-held ones. Also, you didn't really explain away Sabato's joke ratings in your post, so...nice try.

Sabato gets bad ratings for a few select Senate races.  House races I don't see this for, other than Rahall when he had it at Lean R.  

None of Sabato's ratings seem apart from forum consensus when it comes to the House.  Most people agree with his ratings, more or less.  So I find it odd that people agree with his ratings yet think the Dems will pick up seats.  It just doesn't make sense that the electorate will be more Democratic in 2014 than in 2012.

Also, at KCDem, 10 vs 3 is a pretty big discrepancy.  Which races are rated inaccurately on the 'Tossup' line to make you think this?
KCDem

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »

Sabato gets bad ratings for a few select Senate races.  House races I don't see this for, other than Rahall when he had it at Lean R.  

None of Sabato's ratings seem apart from forum consensus when it comes to the House.  Most people agree with his ratings, more or less.  So I find it odd that people agree with his ratings yet think the Dems will pick up seats.  It just doesn't make sense that the electorate will be more Democratic in 2014 than in 2012.

Also, at KCDem, 10 vs 3 is a pretty big discrepancy.  Which races are rated inaccurately on the 'Tossup' line to make you think this?

Remind me the last time the consensus on an internet forum reflected reality on a consistent basis?

Also 2014 doesn't have to be more Democratic than 2012. There are multiplicity of factors at play: voter targeting, candidate quality, fundraising, etc that could enable the Democratic party to gain seats.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:33:18 PM »

Do people think Dems will gain seats? I haven't really seen that. Most people seem to predict a single digit Republican gain in seats.
KCDem

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:35:41 PM »

Do people think Dems will gain seats? I haven't really seen that. Most people seem to predict a single digit Republican gain in seats.

Are these the same people that expected Dems to lease the Senate in 2012?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:11:43 PM »

No. The people indicating that a small republican gain is more likely than a small democratic gain include such folks as Mr. Rothenberg and Mr. Sabato, neither of which predicted the democrats would lose the senate in 2012, although both felt the democrats would end up with less seats than they actually did.
KCDem

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »

No. The people indicating that a small republican gain is more likely than a small democratic gain include such folks as Mr. Rothenberg and Mr. Sabato, neither of which predicted the democrats would lose the senate in 2012, although both felt the democrats would end up with less seats than they actually did.

So they were wrong last time too. Thanks!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 11:49:08 PM »

What individual seats do you see flipping, if you expect Democrats to make a net gain?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:53:17 PM »

They don't. It would take another government shutdown.

So by your logic, because they were R-slanted last time we should assume they are R-slanted this time?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »

I thought Dems were going to make gains in the House, but I didn't really look at the races in contention. It looks like Republicans may add to their majority after all (though I'd move Lee Terry to toss-up, Carol Shea-Porter to Leans Dem, Mike Grimm to likely Dem, Tim Bishop to Likely Dem, and Rahall to Leans R)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:32 AM »

Although it'd be nice to have the Democrats remain in the 200s in the House, that isn't likely at all.

R+8.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »

My official prediction would be:

D pickup: CA-31, NY-11, CO-06, IA-03, AR-02
R pickup: NC-07, UT-04, AZ-02, CA-52, FL-26, IL-10, NY-21

For a net of R+2.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 04:40:56 PM »

As was almost the entire world on the exact outcome of the 2012 senate elections. Hietkamp's victory was a surprise to almost everyone, Tester's win was considered an upset (particularly in terms of the margin of victory), and the few who managed to predict both wins were equally surprised by Heller's win in NV.
GaussLaw
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »

KC Dem, the point was, I'd like to see you post your predictions of each individual House race to show how the Dems gain House seats, and which forecasts are wrong and why.
KCDem

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 07:44:18 PM »

What individual seats do you see flipping, if you expect Democrats to make a net gain?

I could see the Democrats picking up: IA-03, CO-06, CA-31, NY-11, FL-02, NJ-03,  and VA-10.
The Republicans pick up: NY-21, UT-04, NC-07, AZ-01

Net change: D+3

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies