Could Democrats be divided again at the 2016 DNC over Israel & Religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:14:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Could Democrats be divided again at the 2016 DNC over Israel & Religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could Democrats be divided again at the 2016 DNC over Israel & Religion?  (Read 569 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2014, 10:52:21 PM by Starwatcher »

I remember that during the 2012 Democratic convention, a move was made to include a reference to God somewhere in the platform (after it was pointed out by someone).

The chairman, the Mayor of LA, motioned to insert it in by voice vote, treating it as a standard procedure that would pass without a single nay.

But then he was visibly shocked when the people who made up the convention started shouting no, arguably more of them and louder than the ones saying their support. Surprised, he asked to do it a second time, thinking they were just hecklers and the majority of the convention would support it.

The second time, I remember the "no's" sounding just as loud or louder. Did it a third time, same result. He then judged that the measure was approved anyways, as if he couldn't hear the "no's."

The same thing happened when stronger language in support of Israel was inserted (it could have been at the same time, I don't remember exactly).

This rebellion by the base at the 2012 convention went pretty much unreported, once Bill Clinton and Michelle Obama gave their speeches later that day or a day later.

But could these issues flare up again during the 2016 convention, and get more coverage? How would the Democratic Party handle another outburst like this, but more widely reported?

EDIT:

Some links on it:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/05/democrats-restore-references-to-god-jerusalem-in-platform/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/dnc-god-jerusalem-platform_n_1859200.html
KCDem

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 10:53:21 PM »

Maybe but, just like in 2012, it will have no effect.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 11:06:12 PM »

Nobody cares what the party platform says.  It's basically meaningless.
Hamster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »

More evidence that voice votes are bullsh**t
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:38 AM »

I can't think of any prominent Democrats that is against Israel even Bernie Sanders supports them. There may be a divide among the base but not among politicians who are pretty united in their support for Israel.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 12:47:39 AM »

Nobody cares what the party platform says.  It's basically meaningless.
I know, but the people at the convention didn't think so once they were given the opportunity to voice their feelings.

I'm just wondering if the Democratic party could see a real split between the establishment and the politicians, and the actual voters. Since there are so many super-pro-Israel Democrats, the only way I see it coming to light is at another convention (or the primaries).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »

Nope
KCDem

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 08:03:36 PM »

I know, but the people at the convention didn't think so once they were given the opportunity to voice their feelings.

I'm just wondering if the Democratic party could see a real split between the establishment and the politicians, and the actual voters. Since there are so many super-pro-Israel Democrats, the only way I see it coming to light is at another convention (or the primaries).

True-leftists don't vote for Democratic candidates anyway.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »

I can't think of any prominent Democrats that is against Israel even Bernie Sanders supports them. There may be a divide among the base but not among politicians who are pretty united in their support for Israel.

Define "Against Israel". Bernie Sanders and I basically have the same view on Israel, but many, many people, Democrats included, would interpret our views as being "Anti-Israel" because we don't worship the shoes Netanyahu walks in.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »

True-leftists don't vote for Democratic candidates anyway.

Yes, they write-in dead people. Tongue
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 12:17:28 PM »

Not likely. I expect American Jews to 100% anti-ISIS. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »

Not likely. I expect American Jews to 100% anti-ISIS. 

What's ISIS have to do with the Israel/Palestine issue?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies