"Having children is a human right that should not be denied by society." Really? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:25:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "Having children is a human right that should not be denied by society." Really? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Having children is a human right that should not be denied by society? Agree or Disagree
Agree

Disagree

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: "Having children is a human right that should not be denied by society." Really?  (Read 4130 times)
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« on: August 22, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
« edited: August 22, 2014, 09:10:01 AM by BlondeArtisit »

A work colleague made the suggestion that "having children is a human right that should not be denied by society". I objected fairly strongly to this because there will always be a case where a famliy have more children than they can afford and demand that Government pays for it. Decision makers in Government are left with difficult decisions to make as there are children involved and are obliged to follow due process in making the decision.  I asked my colleague if a woman has 12 children and can't afford anymore, should society step in not medically but socially? He said no, she can have as many as she likes as there is no real cost to the taxpayer. Hmmm

Its incredible difficult to write a law that doesn't impact on the child due to parental irresponsibility. The cost to the taxpayer is very, very minimal but the image it creates is the most damaging as it creates resentment with people who take nothing from Government but still raise a family.

Is having children a human right..yes...is having children that you can't afford still a human right...no.

I'm to stupid to solve this problem.

I guess I'm looking to find any posters who have good ideas on how to design a policy that addresses people who think its ok to breed but can't afford it.

User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »

No woman with basic sex ed and access to birth control wants 12 children.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2728767/Mother-eight-lives-2k-month-benefits-says-use-surrogate-TWO-children.html

she has eight and wants more. she has never worked in her life.
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »

It shouldn't be denied of course, but the state shouldn't give the usual benefits for children beyond two*. Sounds awful, but we can't deny that government should not subsidise an unsustainable population (especially in Westerners, who are a net drag on the planet's ecosystem).

* Not applying to those families already with multiple children, I'm not a monster.

I'm really uncomfortable with people introducing arbitary numbers like you dont get benefits for the 3rd child but only the first two. Why 2? Why not just one? What about triplets?  Why should parents with teenagers get money from the state?

Majority of state handouts for children are not spent on the child or its development.

I would be more supportive of a policy that allowed parents to receive money if they have children below the age of 10. People joke that children use to work down the mines at 10 but they did. Teenagers should be allowed to work if they want. I worked from the age of thirteen got paid in cash but it was great
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies