Which denomination best fits me?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:04:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which denomination best fits me?  (Read 1906 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »

I believe:
1. God is a Trinity, and Jesus is the Incarnation of God
2. in Jesus's moral teachings, to see the good and truly love one another
3. in Jesus's suffering and death on the cross, and resurrection on Easter Sunday,
4. that Jesus's sacrifice, which he could have escaped from but chose not to because he so loved us, enable us to be reunited with God and loved in blissful eternal life after death

...and I also believe:
-hell is not eternal or a judgment/punishment/torture forced upon us by God, but that it's temporary and a natural result of us burning with shame when we first experience just how far we've missed the mark of perfection and stand "naked" before the eyes of God... but this feeling can be overcome with help from God's love and moving beyond our own ego and forgiving ourselves... heaven/hell are more of a state of mind than actual places, post-death
-the Bible is inspired by God, but imperfect, and that truth from God can come from non-biblical sources too
-that no individual/family/ethnicity/race/people/nation is inherently favored or loved by God more than any other, though of course we may have different destinies and challenges
-in science
-in the equality of men and women
-in homosexuality and same-sex marriages not being sinful
-priests and rituals and traditions and organizations, while potentially helpful to some people, are not necessary for God to love us or for us to love God
-love is the supreme virtue, not faith, and that following Jesus and receiving eternal life are possible simply by truly loving, that believing Jesus is the Son or was resurrected is not necessary for Jesus to save you
-it is good to  learn from different points of view

I think people who are "Christian" who are motivated by fear of hell, or greed for heaven, instead of being Christian out of love for God, miss the point.. as well as fail to use their critical thinking abilities that God gave them, too swayed by their particular church or priest to question their interpretation, because of this fear or greed (that the priest or church probably instilled in them to begin with). And while it captures some by their fear and greed, it pushes away others who would otherwise consider a "loving God" -motivated Christianity.

I don't belong to any denomination (though I went to a Congregationalist Sunday School until I was 12 and a Catholic High School), and don't feel that great of a need to belong to one. But still I wonder, and occasionally research, which denomination would be the best fit for me in case I ever did want to join one.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:28:21 PM »

Congregational, UCC, and Disciples of Christ are the ones that come to mind most readily, all three use a congregational model, so you'd need to consider each church individually there.  Possibly ELCA as they are a match for you on social issues, tho they are somewhat more conservative than you are theologically.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:39:22 PM »

Episcopalianism or UCC.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:11:45 AM »

What are your liturgical views Starwatcher?

If you like smells and bells go Episcopalian. If not, go UCC or DoC.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »

Judaism -- but I'm not Jewish. About the only connection that I have to Judaism is a German-sounding surname. 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:55:58 AM »

Judaism -- but I'm not Jewish. About the only connection that I have to Judaism is a German-sounding surname. 

Well there's the whole Jesus is God thing... Might not be the best fit for him Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies