Doctor Who - Series 8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:13:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who - Series 8
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Doctor Who - Series 8  (Read 3146 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »

One more sleep Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »

I've been watching the BBCA DW marathon and I watched In the Loop. I am ready for Twelve. Smiley
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »

I've soured considerably on current Doctor Who over the past five years or so, but Capaldi is one of my all-time favorite actors, so I'll definitely be giving this a watch.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 03:18:15 AM »

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 03:25:35 AM »

Classic Moffat Doctor Who - a succession of gimmicks threaded together by innuendo, ridiculous characters and general strangeness. What's more, it appears that the incredibly-incompetent-not-at-all-frightening-yet-somehow-considered-to-represent-the-gold-standard-of-villainy Daleks will be making yet another appearence next time round. I mean, going back to this episode, is the programme's name 'Doctor Who' or 'Madame Vastra', because, you know, it was looking like the latter for much of it Tongue.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:24:35 AM »

Classic Moffat Doctor Who - a succession of gimmicks threaded together by innuendo, ridiculous characters and general strangeness. What's more, it appears that the incredibly-incompetent-not-at-all-frightening-yet-somehow-considered-to-represent-the-gold-standard-of-villainy Daleks will be making yet another appearence next time round. I mean, going back to this episode, is the programme's name 'Doctor Who' or 'Madame Vastra', because, you know, it was looking like the latter for much of it Tongue.

I completely agree. I'm appalled that he wasn't wearing a gharish costume or resorting to pop culture cliches. His assistant didn't do enough screaming and this episode was only what, 75 minutes long? I was expecting this to last at least four weeks. Not one single quarry shot either. I don't know why I pay my license fee. It's insulting.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »

It was a pretty good episode, but I'd like to see where this series is going. I hope to see it distinguish itself from the past three series. I did appreciate the reference to Series 2's The Girl in the Fireplace (though I think I've already made clear my strong preference for RTD Era Doctor Who, which is ultimately the show I really fell in love with).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 06:33:56 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I completely agree. I'm appalled that he wasn't wearing a gharish costume or resorting to pop culture cliches. His assistant didn't do enough screaming and this episode was only what, 75 minutes long? I was expecting this to last at least four weeks. Not one single quarry shot either. I don't know why I pay my license fee. It's insulting.

'Good eras of Doctor Who are all alike*, but every sh**tty era of Doctor Who is sh**tty in its own way.'

N.B. I'm pretty sure I don't agree with Cassius's reasons for being down on the Moffat era. I like Madame Vastra, and Daleks are less overused than they were under RTD.

*Obviously this isn't actually true.

EDIT: Capaldi is brilliant as always.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 07:37:45 PM »

Madame Vastra + Jenny were wonderful in the most recent episode, the Doctor is scaring me, and Clara actually had character traits!  Generally pleased with the episode, I must say... but it would have been nice to have seen the Doctor offer the villain any chances to redeem himself (hence the Doctor scaring me).

But, most of all: ditto on the callback to The Girl in the Fireplace, which is definitely one of my favorite Who episodes ever.  Have Moffat and RTD finally reached a truce?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »

But, most of all: ditto on the callback to The Girl in the Fireplace, which is definitely one of my favorite Who episodes ever.  Have Moffat and RTD finally reached a truce?

That was Moffatt's episode, and RTD said he never re-wrote his scripts so it's all his and he just wrote a sorta sequel to it.

As for the new series, I love Capaldi. Smith will always be my Doctor, loved his performance and thought he was brilliant. I thought it was time for a older Doctor, and I was right, and we also will be getting a darker Doctor too which can't be bad.

Just love the Paternoster Gang too, Strax is always comedy gold. Can't wait until next week and the full 12 episodes in a row too!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 05:47:52 AM »

'Good eras of Doctor Who are all alike*, but every sh**tty era of Doctor Who is sh**tty in its own way.'

N.B. I'm pretty sure I don't agree with Cassius's reasons for being down on the Moffat era. I like Madame Vastra, and Daleks are less overused than they were under RTD.

For me, Moffat get's sh@t on undeservedly, but so too did RTD. It seems part of the territory Smiley

I liked the pace of the episode. I think Capaldi is amazing in everything he puts his mind to and I was really pleased he was given good chunks of dialogue to work with. It means they can start writing for him, rather than for a generic doctor. I've always liked Clara but felt they didn't know what to do with her until now. Jenna Coleman was exceptional and the scene where she had to hold her breath was in itself so simple but very tense. I don't like or dislike the Paternoster Gang but they worked here. Because Doctor Who handles such things so well, I didn’t even notice the kiss. I did notice the declaration of love which is how it should be really.

Big applause in the cinema for them getting lost in Glasgow at the end. Glasgow still has lots of police boxes dotted around the city so it’s not an unusual sight. I think it’s even supposed to ‘be’ one of them on Buchanan Street.

I do wonder what Paradise/Heaven is? In keeping with the humanist slant of the show (Clara name checked Marcus Aurelius again), I wonder what they are going to do with the concept? The Doctor acts as the independent intelligent observer that we currently lack who, if he were available, could confirm or deny the reality of human perception and understanding. Obviously ‘Paradise’ is a ruse but I hope it’s approached/’rumbled’ in a somewhat philosophical way, like Rings of Akhaten.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »

Looked like Queens Street in Cardiff to me Tongue
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
« Edited: August 25, 2014, 02:35:50 PM by CrabCake »

You'd think if a dinosaur appeared in the Thames, most Victorians would have reacted slightly more than with vague curiosity.

Reasonable episode, although the plot was inane and silly. The lesbian fanservice was fine, but awkwardly and cheesily written in.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 11:52:40 AM »

Five year old me would like to point out that the Tyrannosaurus Rex was way bigger than in reality.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »

Looked like Queens Street in Cardiff to me Tongue

Yes it was. Not a bad stand-in Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 01:40:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, I'm very curious about what they do with that.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 06:47:26 PM »

For all of you talking about the dinosaur: there was a giant cyberman that didn't cause that much ruckus in Victorian London. I'd probably freak out more about the robot than the dinosaur. Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 01:21:45 AM »

For me, Moffat get's sh@t on undeservedly, but so too did RTD. It seems part of the territory Smiley

Eras and even individual seasons of this show tend to look better to me in retrospect than while they're happening or while I'm first discovering them. And I'm aware that this probably counts as a cognitive bias.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »

Episode 2 was rather good. It was also quite different. Murray Gold is more electronic, less bombastic. It's less frantic too. I tend to hate Dalek episodes (2005's 'Dalek' excluded) but I enjoyed this.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »

I like Capaldi a lot already!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 05:36:28 AM »

In case you didn't know, the first five episodes of this season leaked several weeks ago, so you can find them on the various streaming websites or bit torrent or whatever.  (That is, the first three have already aired, but the leaked episodes 4 and 5 are out there as well.  These are rough cuts though, and don't have all the FX completed yet.)

So I broke down and downloaded episodes 4 and 5 yesterday.  Good stuff.  Definitely liking the Capaldi version of the character more and more.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 03:26:24 PM »

Listen was brilliant. Probably one of the best stories of the new series.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »

It was a very well crafted episode. For me that's four very good episodes in a row now.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 09:28:55 AM »

I agree. Last night's episode was really good. Did anyone else find it somewhat reminiscent of Midnight?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »

Yes... and I didn't like that one either.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies