Doctor Who - Series 8 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:10:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who - Series 8 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Doctor Who - Series 8  (Read 3199 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: August 22, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »

I've soured considerably on current Doctor Who over the past five years or so, but Capaldi is one of my all-time favorite actors, so I'll definitely be giving this a watch.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:25:17 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2014, 06:33:56 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Classic Moffat Doctor Who - a succession of gimmicks threaded together by innuendo, ridiculous characters and general strangeness. What's more, it appears that the incredibly-incompetent-not-at-all-frightening-yet-somehow-considered-to-represent-the-gold-standard-of-villainy Daleks will be making yet another appearence next time round. I mean, going back to this episode, is the programme's name 'Doctor Who' or 'Madame Vastra', because, you know, it was looking like the latter for much of it Tongue.

I completely agree. I'm appalled that he wasn't wearing a gharish costume or resorting to pop culture cliches. His assistant didn't do enough screaming and this episode was only what, 75 minutes long? I was expecting this to last at least four weeks. Not one single quarry shot either. I don't know why I pay my license fee. It's insulting.

'Good eras of Doctor Who are all alike*, but every sh**tty era of Doctor Who is sh**tty in its own way.'

N.B. I'm pretty sure I don't agree with Cassius's reasons for being down on the Moffat era. I like Madame Vastra, and Daleks are less overused than they were under RTD.

*Obviously this isn't actually true.

EDIT: Capaldi is brilliant as always.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:21:45 AM »

Classic Moffat Doctor Who - a succession of gimmicks threaded together by innuendo, ridiculous characters and general strangeness. What's more, it appears that the incredibly-incompetent-not-at-all-frightening-yet-somehow-considered-to-represent-the-gold-standard-of-villainy Daleks will be making yet another appearence next time round. I mean, going back to this episode, is the programme's name 'Doctor Who' or 'Madame Vastra', because, you know, it was looking like the latter for much of it Tongue.

I completely agree. I'm appalled that he wasn't wearing a gharish costume or resorting to pop culture cliches. His assistant didn't do enough screaming and this episode was only what, 75 minutes long? I was expecting this to last at least four weeks. Not one single quarry shot either. I don't know why I pay my license fee. It's insulting.

'Good eras of Doctor Who are all alike*, but every sh**tty era of Doctor Who is sh**tty in its own way.'

N.B. I'm pretty sure I don't agree with Cassius's reasons for being down on the Moffat era. I like Madame Vastra, and Daleks are less overused than they were under RTD.

*Obviously this isn't actually true.

EDIT: Capaldi is brilliant as always.

For me, Moffat get's sh@t on undeservedly, but so too did RTD. It seems part of the territory Smiley

Eras and even individual seasons of this show tend to look better to me in retrospect than while they're happening or while I'm first discovering them. And I'm aware that this probably counts as a cognitive bias.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies