What is your relationship with your siblings like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:16:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is your relationship with your siblings like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is your relationship with your siblings like?  (Read 577 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »

I have one older sister, and I get along with her OK overall.  She's mostly nice and caring, but she has a bossy personality and is often rude.  It's good that we can visit each other, and communicate by phone and online, but tbh, it's good that we don't live in the same place anymore.  She fusses about little things, such as occasionally eating too much dessert.

How well do you get along with your sibling(s)?  If you're an only child, do you think you'd want any brothers or sisters?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »

My sister and I just try and stay out of each other's way.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 05:19:07 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2014, 05:33:24 PM by politicus »

I have a 10 year  older sister who is mentally ill, who I don't have any contact with, because she is insanely jealous and also can be quite verbally aggressive, which I am not good at handling.  She used to be an artist of sorts, when she was less ill.
My younger sister is a reporter and movie reviewer. She is a creative and nice person, but very convinced that her own opinions and bobo lifestyle is the only way to think and act, which can be annoying at times. She is also extremely busy, having 100s of balls in the air at the same time with lots of private projects. We don't see each other that often. Maybe once every 3 months.
No brothers, alas.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »

I have two much older siblings (from my dad's previous marriage). We were never really that close because of the distance between PA and NH, but I started bonding with my sister when she had to move back in (because of a really bad emergency that I won't get into the details of). Actually I've started to bond more as I got into adulthood in general.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »

We're best buds!

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 08:38:37 PM »

Hockeydude, why is your family terrible with hockey?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »

I was very close with my middle brother until his demons took him to the point that he was at. I don't think I'll ever be particularly close with him again, but of course he is my brother and I love him, nor am I angry or upset about everything that has went down.

My youngest brother has severe autism, so there is a whole dynamic there. He is the glue that has kept my family together and despite all the stress that has accompanied his condition, he has ultimately strengthened us. While we all regret the struggles he deals with, I also think that he is the best thing that has ever happened in our lives and I love him to death. He lives in a group home but stays with us on the weekends, and has advanced beyond our wildest dreams. I don’t think I’ll ever worry about him as long as care facilities exist, though I do hope to outlive him because the thought of him being in his early eighties and developing Alzheimers on top of what he already has or realizing that my brother and I are no longer around really disturbs me.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »

Hockeydude, why is your family terrible with hockey?

NJ is truly an amazing state.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »

My brother is 10 years older than me, and my sister is almost nine years older.

Growing up, I didn't get along with my brother at all. From the time I was born through him leaving the house, he was a typical 11-to-18 year old boy ... mischievous and almost fascinated with tormenting me. I was VERY happy when he left the house.

I'm not sure when things changed between us, and to be honest, we're not exceptionally close ... but when we're together, we do get along really well. Aside from him being a sports fan and me not so much, we have a lot in common in terms of interests and are constantly joking around.

I was a lot closer to my sister when I was growing up. She played a bit of a motherly role and took care of me often. After she left the house, we kept in close touch. She was a lot of fun, made sure to treat me with a lot of respect and attention, and I was crushed when she went through some difficult times in her life. We're still really close, and even though she has quite a bit of drama in her life, I try to be there for her when I can to be stable and steady support.

When the three of us go out together, we have a really great time. You don't find that with too many siblings.

^^^
I'm the tall one.
Hamster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 10:46:49 PM »

A good friend and a stranger.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 12:04:19 AM »

My sister is two and a half years younger than me. As we've gotten older she finally seems to have learned her place.

Tongue

In all seriousness, we get along okay despite having some pretty drastically different interests. For one, I don't spend four hours a day watching Achievement Hunter on YouTube. Ugh.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 12:26:41 AM »

2 sisters, one 8 years older whom I get along with fine, but we're not close and never were.  And one sister 3 years older, we get along better, but still not close.  Maybe we talk on the phone once a year and I'll see her when I visit the folks (also about once a year).  I probably talk to my parents once every month, month and a half.  I don't really have a lot in common with any of these people other than genetics, (not that I keep in touch with people I do have a lot in common with).  I'm just not very good at "staying in touch" with people, whether I care about them or not.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:17 AM »

Generally good, with a couple of exceptions. I've always been very close to my older brother, whose personality and interests are very close to my own, albeit he's a bit more sporty and went off to study Economics at Uni. I also get on well with my youngest (12) brother, and okay with my sister, though I don't have that much to do with her. On the other hand, I don't get along at all with my other younger brother, which probably stems from that fact that I and my elder brother used to pick on him remorselessly until he (my older brother) went off to uni in 2008. Since then, we've become two totally different people; he's a self-proclaimed atheist, he occasionally gets drunk, he signs Green party petitions, he studies Physics and Chemistry at school; he's basically the stereotypical black sheep of the family (although I worry that my sister is becoming too influenced by him). But yeah, I generally get on well with my siblings.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »

You're cute, but your sister has way better taste in hockey teams. Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »

It markedly improved after she moved away to Philadelphia.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 01:48:02 PM »

I have 2 older brothers and an older sister.

My relationship with them is excellent, they sometimes come for a visit or we'll meet at their home if my nephew and my nieces have birthday etc.

During the year, I don't have much contact with them as they are living a bit further away from where I live (1 brother lives in another state), but I sometimes just call them.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 01:52:49 PM »

He's 8 years younger than me. So when our "growing up" phases overlapped, we might as well have been on different planets. And he was 10 when I went away to college.

We're also very different in terms of personality and temperament and appearance. I've always been quiet and brooding; he's gregarious and upbeat. I was always the loner/outcast in school; he is/was, from my observations, one of the popular kids in the in-crowd. He's well over six and a half feet tall; I will stubbornly refer to my height as 5' 10.5"
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 02:29:57 PM »

I have a younger brother who's 19. We mostly get along well, though he has grown somewhat cold and distant over the last couple years (impossible to have serious discussions, sometimes hard to discuss at all). Anyway he's generally nice, cool, fairly smart (and works harder than I'll ever be able to), and he generally manages his life much better than I do. My parents say he looks up to me, but I see no reason why he should.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »

I'm an only child.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 01:53:18 PM »

I have a brother and a sister, my sister is ten years older than me and my brother is 20 minutes younger, I've never been very close to my brother, even when we were toddlers, we've always had different interests, different ways of doing things, we just weren't able to bond on anything. My sister and I are extremely close, we really should've been the twins, I keep in touch with her all the time, it's really nice when she visits us in Florida.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies