Opinion of Kate Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:12:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Kate Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of Kate Bush  (Read 417 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »

No poll on this one.

Just magical.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »

Great music, and she was also pretty hot back in the day.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »

My favourite Bush.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »

^

One of the best. As I said when I did make this as a poll a while back, she's one of the most fecund and influential artists of the past thirty or forty years, and if you narrow it down to solo artists (women or otherwise, really), that expands to all time, at least in the realm of popular music.

The Dreaming and Hounds of Love are obviously magisterial achievements, but I'm very fond of Never For Ever as well and don't believe that it gets as much attention as it deserves.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »

^

One of the best. As I said when I did make this as a poll a while back, she's one of the most fecund and influential artists of the past thirty or forty years, and if you narrow it down to solo artists (women or otherwise, really), that expands to all time, at least in the realm of popular music.

The Dreaming and Hounds of Love are obviously magisterial achievements, but I'm very fond of Never For Ever as well and don't believe that it gets as much attention as it deserves.

There's something very maternal about Never For Ever which for some people makes it, quite rightly a challenge. It not the first to deal with such themes but it's very direct. Song wise, I've forgotten how much I love 'Sat in your lap' the video of which piqued my adolescent sexuality some twenty years ago (which I would be happy to psychoanalyse 'but I don't have no energy' Wink ) And more recently 'Wow' which is just luscious.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:06:03 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2014, 06:09:02 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

There's something very maternal about Never For Ever which for some people makes it, quite rightly a challenge. It not the first to deal with such themes but it's very direct.

That makes sense. ('Breathing' is the obvious song here but come to think of it some of the undertones of 'Army Dreamers' strike me too.) As a matter of fact it's an album that I used to listen to with my mother (who introduced me to Bush, as well as to Joni Mitchell, Johnny Cash, Leonard Cohen, Joan Jett, Peter Gabriel, Billie Holiday...) quite a bit, and she's mentioned that she associates several songs on it with my grandmother in turn.

As far as specific songs not on Never For Ever go, in addition to the obvious classics--'Wuthering Heights', 'Running Up That Hill', 'Hounds of Love', 'Cloudbusting', 'The Dreaming' to an extent--I really like 'Waking the Witch'.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies