U.S. Media Coverage Of Israel-Gaza Conflict Gets An 'F'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:32:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. Media Coverage Of Israel-Gaza Conflict Gets An 'F'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. Media Coverage Of Israel-Gaza Conflict Gets An 'F'  (Read 358 times)
Simon Feltser
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:59:01 AM »

Who would have thought?
Glenn Greenwald lambasted the U.S. government's approach to the Gaza conflict in an article published Monday by The Intercept, but his criticism extends to America's media practices -- for which he gives U.S. journalists a failing grade.
"There's no question that the way that the American media covers this conflict is based on the principle that Israeli lives are just inherently more valuable than Palestinian lives," he told. According to Greenwald, almost as many Palestinians have been killed as Americans on 9/11, and the media has remained "essentially calm about it."
I think there's a racist element to it. I think there's an ethnocentric element to [the media coverage]
Has anyone surprised by this?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:37:17 AM »

It's difficult to come to a different conclusion. I understand there will be a certain pro-Israel bias in the States, but even so, it's odd that the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza would be almost completely ignored.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »

It's difficult to come to a different conclusion. I understand there will be a certain pro-Israel bias in the States, but even so, it's odd that the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza would be almost completely ignored.

I don't think the damage done in Gaza has been ignored in the US media. Be careful not to confuse the public statements of our officials, and the judgments people make, with ignorance of what's happening. For a variety of reasons more Americans sympathize with Israel than Gaza even while acknowledging that Gaza has been pulverized.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »

I think there's a racist element to it. I think there's an ethnocentric element to [the media coverage]
Has anyone surprised by this?

What do you mean by ethnocentrism in this context?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies