Opinion of Pancakes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:42:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Pancakes?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Food

Horrible Food

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of Pancakes?  (Read 5550 times)
Lurker
Norway
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 11:04:29 PM »
« edited: August 25, 2014, 11:13:02 PM by Lurker »

All forms of pancake are good, obviously.

Yes, though the Scandinavian type is superior to what the Americans call a pancake.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 08:00:47 PM »

One year ago, my last post on this forum was about scones, I come back almost one year later day for day, and what now?!

Pancakes...

What a progression...

Well, I thought those were Canadians in the 1st place, part of the food which also is almost absent of our shelves here, you mainly have this...

...for the country as whole.

Which are some kind of over greasy suggared blinis.

Though recently I found some that looked more decent in Monoprix (a kind of French equivalent to Marks and Spencer, in which they have a kind of little line of - over expensive - British products), but I decided to have to wait to have some money to waste to afford the about 4 bloody euros, for those 4 bloody pancakes. And those 4 dry bloody bagels (other rather rare thing in France) that I already tried there didn't help me to be particularly friendly with those expensive British stuffs.

(ok, I have to confess, I enjoyed that 12 months mature cheddar Tongue, regardless the 13€/kg)

Oh, how it is wonderful to find that cute circonflexe accent over here. Smiley

A French word lost in all those English words always is like a ray of sun...

[/'awwwwww patriotism']

In France, crêpes definitely are the stuff, very popular, for both salted and suggared contexts, but, paradoxally, it's not so often you have it, it's more something a mother will make for her young kids something like once a week at most, or for some family/kids parties, stuffs like that.

Because here it's not something you buy, it's something you do. Even if recently enough supermarkets try to sell some ready made ones, they are too expensive and not good enough compared to home made ones.

That's a total swinddle for those you can find in street/fast foods, and overall in touristic stuffs indeed. There's been a TV investigation on that recently enough, iirc even for those who use decent ingredients they can easily make something like at least 60% benefits (don't remember exactly but it was truly amazing) on those products, and then those who use cheap ingredients...

(greetings to all those wonderful tourists that makes this country the most touristic in the world for decades while spending 4 euros for a poor cheap crêpe made with a fake cheap mixture that isn't even flour with a little bit of sugar down the Eiffel tower Grin)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »

That's the case in most places, mind. Certainly is here.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »

Well, I thought those were Canadians in the 1st place, part of the food which also is almost absent of our shelves here, you mainly have this...

Is that a package of pre-made pancakes? That's definitely not the typical way to do it in North America, including Canada. Brioche Pasquier (I had to Google it) is a French company, so the maple leaf must be some weird marketing idea.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 11:00:38 PM »

OK, but waffles are clearly better
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »

I don't know why someone would eat pancakes when they could have waffles.

Pancakes are simplicity, that's why. The batter is essentially the same, and it's not always worth getting out a waffle iron for a hot breakfast. Pancakes are the clear choice on a camping trip. Charity fundraisers will go with pancakes because you can make more to feed more in the same amount of time. If made well pancakes tend to hold more moisture inside since they have less surface ares for the volume of batter. Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy waffles, but I would never dis pancakes as some inferior cousin to waffles.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 02:34:21 AM »

Is that a package of pre-made pancakes? That's definitely not the typical way to do it in North America, including Canada. Brioche Pasquier (I had to Google it) is a French company, so the maple leaf must be some weird marketing idea.

Well, as I said it's not part at all of our food habits, so yeah, I guess we deal with it with a small handfull of clichés and then 'whatever'.

So yeah, here pancakes are Canadians and have to be eaten with mapple syrup.

Though reading this thread maybe it kinda have the same place that crêpes would have in France, I might be wrong but I'd still assume it's more casualy consumed than we consume crêpes, thus why I also assumed that in the Anglo world (not that one would be fully uniform when it comes to its pancake consumption either, is it?) pancakes would more something you buy than something you do, especially since it also seems to be more adaptable to food industry than crêpes, since it's thicker and quite smaller, while crêpes are rather thin and can be quite large, less easy to preserve (quickly becomes dry) and to package (they make big flat flabby packages that I found rather uneasy), I can try several stuffs from the wonderful food industry, but this I never dared so far.

Oh the best way to sell 'crêpes' they found would be this:

But then we're no more speaking about 'crêpes'...

And yeah, Brioche Pasquier is the biggest French company for everything about viennoiseries/brioche, you would find them anywhere here from the random supermarket to the smallest general grocery. Not the worst industrial quality, but not the best either, the 'middle consensual quality for the middle consensual middle-class', something like that, moreover they use palm oil in most of their products, while some others that are slightly more expensive use butter.

But you know, nowadays what matters the most is PRICE PRICE PRICE...CRISIS CRISIS CRISIS...we're all so poor...unemployement...we need to save money...and all the blahblahblah of anyways ever complaining people, no matter they really have money or not, and that makes that money is also slowly replacing taste...(ok, let's not start on this).

And to think that according to stats French are some of those who spend the most money for food, iirc that's at least the case for all the Western world, I guess only Japanese can beat us on that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 12:58:38 PM »

Though reading this thread maybe it kinda have the same place that crêpes would have in France,

Well, yeah. In English 'pancake' just means a cake cooked in a pan, and so can refer to thin crack-like creations like crêpes or English pancakes, the big stodgy things that North Americans like for breakfast (you can get these in cafes here now: generally sold as 'American Pancakes' or the like), and also to other forms of pan cooked battery delight.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2014, 10:19:33 AM by angus »

My wife made pancakes this morning so it's relevant.  I think it's the first pancake I've had in a long time.  My son likes his drenched in honey.  My wife likes hers with pickled turnips and garlic hot sauce.  I like mine with shredded pork and Cholula, or Melinda's hot sauce if I don't have any Cholula.  I also wrap mine around the pork and hot sauce and eat them as hand food, sort of like a soft taco, whereas my son and my wife use a fork with theirs.

We generally take ours on the thin side, and we use only gluten-free batter.  We don't make them often but when we do I enjoy them very much.  FF
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »

What's the difference between a crepe and an "English pancake"? They look the same to me.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »

What's the difference between a crepe and an "English pancake"? They look the same to me.

There are some very minor differences in the way that they're cooked, but the only meaningful difference is that crêpe is a French word and pancake is an English one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »

Another form of pancake eaten here is the Staffordshire Oatcake.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2014, 05:35:42 PM by Badger »

You put enough syrup and butter on anything it'll taste good.

It's a lesser choice among breakfast foods like sausage, bacon, biscuts and gravy, bagels with lox and cream cheese, scrambled eggs w/ salsa, any omelet under the sun, and even crepes.

So vastly overrated. There, I said it.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »

There are some very minor differences in the way that they're cooked, but the only meaningful difference is that crêpe is a French word and pancake is an English one.

Well, maybe, let's see:

Here are the classical French crêpes:

On the second picture, it's the most classical way to eat it once you've put something in it, or you can just roll it, but it's less convenient.

Crêpes are at least 20 cm diameter (and it can go to about 40 when you have the good material for it) and are totally thin.

I don't know whether French crêpes and English pancakes are that close, there might as well be an eventual 'Old world'/'New world' divide about that, but, the 4 € bloody pancakes I saw in Monoprix were only 10 cm diameter and quite thicker than our crepes, they are not called 'English pancakes', but well, seems that's what they mean:

Well, they call it 'petites crêpes' too Grin.

And I wonder why we have such clichés about pancakes, overall connected to Canada, maybe due to the fact that the main connection we have with North America is Québec, which also are a big producer of mapple syrup, thus they might overall eat it this way there.

And to think that at one point we were majoritary in a big part of Canada, might eventually come from that epoch too...

Heck, we also had 1/3 of the current US territory and we sold it to finance our bloody wars against those bloody Germans on the continent, while British only had to manage their little island in Europe...

Gosh, if ever we had kept all of this, everybody would be speaking my mother language, we'd be all working in public function or nationalized companies, the whole world would also be directly directed from Paris, and overall, we would all be eating some bloody...CREPES!

If ever someone knows when and where pancakes appeared, whether it was before the 'New World' or not...

I don't know for crêpes personally, but a lot of sweetened things appeared after we enjoyed all that new 'cheap' sugar from all over the world (and maybe 'pans' aren't that old either, dunno)...

And to be complete with that matter, you also have the crêpes/galettes bretonnes...

Those are inherently bigger than classical French crêpes and would also be inherently eaten with salty things, while the classical French ones are almost inherently eaten with sweet things.

The almost only way to find French crêpes with salty stuffs is that:

...sexy isn't it?

It's almost something you never do at home but alsmost only buys, and 80% of the time frozen in supermarkets I'd say. Remained quite popular but it's also quite associated to an image of 'lazy ready made not great quality but whatever' food.

Bretonnes crêpes/galettes are, on the other hand, almost inherently something you have in stuffs like food trucks or Breton restaurants, you can also eat them with more different salty stuffs than the preceding ones, which only vary between ham/cheese/béchamel/mushrooms.

They are about 30-40 cm diameter, slightly less thin than French ones, and inherently with buckwheat floor (otherwise they are not Breton but French Tongue, which are with wheat floor), they also have a far more decent and appealing look than the rolled French salty ones, enjoy yourself:

(I haven't even found some good enough pics)

And to finish with that giant sandwich of pancakes/crêpes/galettes, you have to pay attention to not mix the latter galettes bretonnes with those...

...which have the same name.

A lot of different things can be called galette in French, but enough now, there gonna be an indigestion otherwise.

(Gosh, I wouldn't have expected I was engaging myself into a thesis about 'flat food in the Western world'...)

Oh and by the way...

'pancake' just means a cake cooked in a pan

Guess what?

Before your post I don't think that I had ever realized this:

Pancakes...pancakes...pancakes...pan-cakes...pan cakes...pan cakes!!

Some bloody f**king cakes made with a bloody f**king pan!!

Well, thanks.

Oh and, while we are with Canada, the 'New World', and my pan-cake discovery.

A short time after this genius flash into my mind, there's been a TV documentary about beavers on arte, that French-German TV.

Guess what again?

On arte, what's written on the screen, such as who people are under their name, is written in both French and German, and at one point they interviewed a trapper (in Argentina, where beavers make problems), French kinda 'frenchized' the English word 'trapper' and it gaves 'trappeur', what we often do with English words like that, but Germans, as often too, apparently kept the English word 'Trapper'...

And then my mind enterred into this crazy mechanism again and made me realize something I don't think I had realized before either...

Trappeur...Trapper...trapper...trapper!

A guy who make some bloody f**king traps!

You might have opened a new world full of new possibilities to me!

Well, thanks.

(interesting, isn't it?)

But, let's be back on pancakes/crêpes.

And, on pacakes I don't know, but on crêpes what I'd personally gladly put is a fine confiture (jam) of mûres (mulberries) or some compote (stewed fruit) of apple, pear, peach, or plum, with eventually a thin ray of red fruits syrup over the compote.

And, if your crêpes are still hot some melting butter with a little bit of sugar, would be perfect.

Let's avoid insane stuffs such as Nutella and the like (though over popular in France, especially with crêpes...).

breakfast foods like sausage, bacon, biscuts and gravy, bagels with lox and cream cheese, scrambled eggs w/ salsa, any omelet under the sun, and even crepes.

There really is a misunderstanding about breakfast food between France, and, well, maybe the rest of the world...

Ironically that's us who call it petit-déjeuner (literally 'small-lunch') while we overall eat it sweet and it's not that big, even traditionally I'd say, and you call it breakfast (and why not fast-break?) while it'd be far more salty and copious than us, which would precisely be like a...small lunch Grin.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »

Findus is still in business?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2014, 05:12:34 PM »

That looks horrible, man.  I mean really, really nasty.  I don't generally require that absolutely all food be prepared immediately before eating, and I'm not totally against processed foods, and I'm not given to antipathy, on principle, to frankenfood and gluten and the like, but I must say that there's no way I'd ever buy that.  Ever.  Call me a bigot if you want, but that has no appeal whatsoever.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies