Elizabeth Warren: I'm not "Ready for Warren"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:33:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Elizabeth Warren: I'm not "Ready for Warren"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren: I'm not "Ready for Warren"  (Read 769 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/index/266928/speedreads-elizabeth-warren-officially-rejects-the-ready-for-warren-2016-activist-group
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »

Won't stop people from bringing her up
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »

Absolutely amazing that I am only the second person to post in this thread. Why do people refuse to just let go of a Warren run?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 04:45:01 AM »

Absolutely amazing that I am only the second person to post in this thread. Why do people refuse to just let go of a Warren run?

Obama in 2006

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10909406/ns/meet_the_press/t/transcript-january/#.U_mzv_SwLiA
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:02:22 AM »

Obama in 2006

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10909406/ns/meet_the_press/t/transcript-january/#.U_mzv_SwLiA

Right.  But in general, people who say "I'll decide on whether to run for president early next year" are far more likely to run than those who publicly rule it out.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 05:06:17 AM »

Obama in 2006

Right.  But in general, people who say "I'll decide on whether to run for president early next year" are far more likely to run than those who publicly rule it out.

In January 2006, he completely ruled it out. It was only in October that he reopened the door a bit.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 05:11:34 AM »

Obama might have been genuine in early 2006. I mean it seemed like SUCH an incredible long shot for a first term senator, but then the buzz just grew and grew and he decided to go for it. Not implausible.

Also, despite what some people say, Hillary did not seem as inevitable in 2006 as she does in 2014.

I genuinely don't believe that Warren has any inclination to run.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 05:27:42 AM »

Obama in 2006

In January 2006, he completely ruled it out. It was only in October that he reopened the door a bit.

I know.  Obama's one example of someone who completely ruled it out, and then "changed his mind".  Others have done so as well.  What I'm saying is that, in general, people who claim that they're thinking about it are far more likely to end up running than those who rule it out.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 05:32:41 AM »

Obama might have been genuine in early 2006. I mean it seemed like SUCH an incredible long shot for a first term senator, but then the buzz just grew and grew and he decided to go for it. Not implausible.

Also, despite what some people say, Hillary did not seem as inevitable in 2006 as she does in 2014.

I genuinely don't believe that Warren has any inclination to run.

You never know when a 6.1 political earthquake will hit, just like California got hit just now.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »

Obama in 2006

Not to mention ruling it out in Jan '14 and ruling it out in Aug '14 are entirely different beasts. Most people would've at least cracked the window open by now and started laying some groundwork. The only way I see Warren running is if Hillary sits it out.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »

jfern, you're forgetting that Obama is a career politician with an incredible entitlement mentality.

Warren never ran for political office until she was 62 years old. You need an obsession for power to run for president, and Warren just doesn't have it. She cares about the issues, I'm not sure she cares for the daily rough and tumble of politics.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 12:59:33 PM »

Yeah, Warren was angling for an insider regulatory job in Washington, not an elected position, until that was derailed.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »

I don't want her to run because she's a fraudulent progressive and a fraudulent anti-Hillary candidate, with her out of the way she won't suck all the anti-Clinton air out of the primary room. Leave room for Schweitzer, Sanders or someone else
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »

Warren wouldn't really be running against the main criticism for Hillary anyway. Hillary may not be economically leftist enough, but that doesn't matter when her foreign policy is worse. Warren is an economic leftist warrior (with the exception of the estate tax), but her foreign policy is not only barely existent, but what exists of it puts her in Hillary range. A real challenge to Hillary would be able to challenge her on the foreign policy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 04:21:25 PM »

I imagine how the midterms turn out will be more consequential than you imagine. Some people say that Republicans fall short yet again. Others say that Republicans will win more seats than they have at one sitting since at least 1994. I think this election's momentum will carry more than 1986, 1994 or 1998 and by more like 2006, 1966 or 1918. McConnell has a very ambitious agenda and if he has the political capital to make it work, it will, if he barely wins the senate (especially by picking off AK or NC), he may overextend and set up a 2000-type situation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies