DNC adopts imaginary primary calendar with Iowa on Feb. 1st
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:54:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  DNC adopts imaginary primary calendar with Iowa on Feb. 1st
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DNC adopts imaginary primary calendar with Iowa on Feb. 1st  (Read 556 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2014, 12:23:12 AM »

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268743/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=mXrw9Ty5

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is pure fantasy, or course, because, regardless of what the South Carolina Dems do, the SC GOP is never going to agree to hold their primary as late as Feb. 27, with Super Tuesday coming up on March 1.  Which means that every date on this calendar will move up at least one week.  Iowa at least will be in January, when all is said and done.

The DNC is also decreasing the number of delgates for the 2016 convention:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »

Why can't they simply hold all the primaries on one and the same day?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:24:09 PM »

I never thought I'd end up as a fan of the Iowa caucuses, but they may represent our best chance to stop Hillary's inevitableness.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »

Because having smaller states first gives "minor" candidates a chance to gain name recognition and momentum.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »

Because having smaller states first gives "minor" candidates a chance to gain name recognition and momentum.

What about implementing runoff elections? Every candidate that have gotten 5% in the first round is allowed to take part in the final ballot.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »

I like that, but it's pretty ridiculous that Iowa and New Hampshire ALWAYS get to go first.

There should be some kind of rotating schedule if we don't do it all on the same day.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »

I like that, but it's pretty ridiculous that Iowa and New Hampshire ALWAYS get to go first.

There should be some kind of rotating schedule if we don't do it all on the same day.

Yeah, but at the same time we have to make sure the early states are smaller (i.e, not California/Texas/ect.) so minor candidates can't as easily just be spent into the ground.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »

Btw, on the subject of the primary calendar, looks like Arizona has moved its primary into March:

http://frontloading.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/so-it-turns-out-arizona-has-actually.html

So, there are still some "problem" states that are defying the national party rules at the moment, but I think most of them will blink.  Michigan is the one that might stick to its guns by remaining on Feb. 23rd.  So, a possible early primary calendar might go something like this:

Jan. 25th: Iowa caucus
Feb. 2nd: New Hampshire primary
Feb. 13th: Nevada caucus
Feb. 20th: South Carolina primary
Feb. 23rd: Michigan primary (maybe)
Mar. 1st: Super Tuesday

This is an "optimistic" scenario from the perspective of those who want a later start.  If Michigan stays where it is, and South Carolina wants more breathing room, they might go a week earlier, causing the other states to go earlier as well.  And other states might cause mischief as well, so it's possible that we'll see Iowa earlier than Jan. 25th.  Jan. 25th is about the latest I can imagine it going.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »

I don't think it's fair to always have Iowa and New Hampshire go first.

My suggestion is to have a system where more change is possible. The state that goes first could be based on whatever matched the General Election results most closely in the previous election.

You won't always get the same demographics. In 2000, it was Oregon. In 2004, it was Florida. In 2008 and 2012, it was Virginia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies