Which party would other countries vote for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:47:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which party would other countries vote for?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Which party would other countries vote for?  (Read 3379 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »

Sure, we know how much the GOP loves Muslims and wants to make nice with Iran.   

Maybe if Rand Paul is nominated.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »

I didn't say Iran was a perfect fit for the GOP, but they only have two choices. The typical beliefs of the average Iranian line up a lot better with the Republicans than with the Democrats.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »

Seriously, there are very few countries that would vote for the Republicans. In most countries, they would be a fringe far-right party. Like the FN in France or whatever.

This is absolutely correct. Republicans would win most, if not all, African countries. There might be a couple of outliers though, including South Africa. Republicans would also win most, possibly all, muslim countries. The only muslim countries in question would be the less staunchly so, like Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, Bosnia, Albania, Kosovo, Turkey. Asia would probably be a mixture of Democratic and Republican, yet with a slight edge for Democrats. Australia would probably be toss up, or close to it, yet all other Western countries, including Canada and basically the entire Latin America (countries like Jamaica and Haiti might perhaps go Republican at first) will be more or less heavily Democratic. In Western Europe, the only countries which would even consider voting Republican would be Malta, Greece and Italy. In Eastern Europe, a majority would vote Republican, but definitely not all. Estonia and Czech Republic almost certainly would vote Democratic for instance.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 08:17:24 AM »

The idea that any European country would vote Republican is ludicrous.

Maybe Belarus.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 11:50:35 AM »

The idea that any European country would vote Republican is ludicrous.

Maybe Belarus.

If Republicans were to start making anti-gay rhetoric a big issue again, be certain that the vast majority of Eastern European countries would immediately vote Republican. There are some exceptions though, luckily. Like Estonia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, perhaps Slovakia and Croatia.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 05:31:27 PM »

The Republicans probably wouldn't win any European countries but they wouldn't be quite as fringe as many seem to believe, take for example the fact that when John McCain was holding a Senate hearing for Obama's appointment to be ambassador to Norway he asked some questions that implied strong disapproval of the Progress Party, which was in government and for awhile was even the largest right wing party in Norway. The guy's bungling of the questions got more press, but regardless you have the party's 2008 candidate condemning a mainstream right wing party as too extreme.

The real reason the Republicans couldn't exist in any other country is they are too big and diverse. For example it's not too difficult to see both Merkel-esque asuterity forcing neoliberal supporters and anti-EU UKIP types as Republicans in the US and you can think of plenty of examples of Republicans that would be both, but both clearly can't be in the same party if those were the issues. The same is also true of the Democrats, who are probably the most ideologically diverse party in the world aside from parties that are really just essentially ideology-less political machines.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 08:38:36 AM »

Of course, in the real world, other countries care about American politics in large part because of US foreign policy.  The Republicans are the more nationalist of the two major parties, so they're less popular in other countries, just as nationalist parties in other countries are also less popular outside their home nation's borders.

If we're now imagining a scenario in which foreign countries can vote in US elections….how does that work?  Is the scenario that they're now US states, and so they have to live with whatever domestic policies the Democrats or Republicans they elect support?  In that case, they probably wouldn't care nearly as much about foreign policy as they do now.  The whole hypothetical doesn't really make much sense, so not sure how to answer.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:48 PM »

I think most of the Middle East would vote Republican, as well as much of Eastern Europe and parts of Asia. Western Europe, South America, Africa, parts of Asia, and the remainder of North America would vote Dem.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 06:16:09 PM »

I didn't say Iran was a perfect fit for the GOP, but they only have two choices. The typical beliefs of the average Iranian line up a lot better with the Republicans than with the Democrats.

I have no idea what you think the "typical beliefs of the average Iranian" are but I suspect they'd be trumped by not wanting to be bombed or have economic sanctions against their country.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »

Seriously, there are very few countries that would vote for the Republicans. In most countries, they would be a fringe far-right party. Like the FN in France or whatever.

As fringe as France's biggest party, you mean? Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 06:57:39 PM »

I have no idea what you think the "typical beliefs of the average Iranian" are but I suspect they'd be trumped by not wanting to be bombed or have economic sanctions against their country.

Iran would be a state, not a country.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 08:41:57 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2014, 08:46:32 PM by MurrayBannerman »

Not Atlas Colors

England: blue
Canada: purple
Mexico: blue
India: red at first, descend into purple
Australia: red
Japan: blue by mistake
Russia: red. I'm so punny

Any others?
Australia is very conservative.

EDIT: Just saw what you said at the top.

I think Mexico would vote Republican out of social conservatism.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »

Not Atlas Colors

Any others?

Australia is not very conservative in the American sense. It's pretty conservative compared to other Western nations though. It's one of the few country's where the Republicans could be a serious party.

As for Mexico, they already have a local version of the Republican Party and it's never come anywhere close to a majority (although it has won a plurality in the past).
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 10:36:41 PM »

Not Atlas Colors

Any others?

Australia is not very conservative in the American sense. It's pretty conservative compared to other Western nations though. It's one of the few country's where the Republicans could be a serious party.

As for Mexico, they already have a local version of the Republican Party and it's never come anywhere close to a majority (although it has won a plurality in the past).
In its current state, it is, especially with the Abbott led government. But, what do I know, I just lived there.

Ah, I stand corrected there.
GaussLaw
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 10:44:22 PM »

First, Obama vs Romney may not be a great comparison just because this would assume these countries would be assimilated into American politics (name recognition and popularity as head of a country would be possible confounders here), but obviously those that show a high margin would be more Democrat.

My opinion: 
North America:  Canada D, Mexico Tossup (social conservatism + tough on crime vs economic populism), Haiti D, DOminican Republic D, many of the small islands:  wealthier ones R poorer ones D
South America:  Argentina-D (they have a real command economy there and are socially liberal, I'm surprised others put R), Chile-R, Uruguay-D, Bolivia/Peru/Ecuador/Venezuela-D
Africa:  All D except Botswana, pockets of South Africa, Namibia, Ecuatorial Guinea, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt (which would all range from Toss-up/Tilt D to lean R)
Europe-East is conservative, West is all D except for Ireland
Middle East-assuming that the US is a country annexing all others, the Middle East would lean R due to a "North Dakota Effect"(having all the oil) plus social conservatism, even if it's a different religion.  Poorer countries like Pakistan would likely lean D though, as would Yemen.  UAE, Qatar, and Kuwait would be R strongholds. 
Asia:  Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan - Strong R; China-R in the cities, D in the countryside; India-probably quite D; Australia/New Zealand-Probably both lean R; Russia-Lean R I guess
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 04:05:25 PM »

Israeli is maybe the only country that would vote Republican.

Somalia and Yemen would support Republican positions on gun rights, gays and womens issues. Saudi-Arabia and the Gulf states would also be solidly GOP due to oil and social conservatism.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 05:22:29 PM »

Not Atlas Colors

Any others?

In its current state, it is, especially with the Abbott led government. But, what do I know, I just lived there.

The last election was about 53.5% for the Liberal/National coalition vs. 46.5% for the ALP. Even with 90% of the Liberal/National voters, the Republicans still lose.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »

Why do Americans seem to be under the apprehension that their country has reached a level of conservatism hitherto unknown to the world?

Sure I think the Tea Party are a bunch of sillies, but the sort of things that they complain could be heard from any right-wing nut on the planet.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2014, 06:12:36 PM by MurrayBannerman »

Not Atlas Colors

Any others?

The last election was about 53.5% for the Liberal/National coalition vs. 46.5% for the ALP. Even with 90% of the Liberal/National voters, the Republicans still lose.
The Liberal Coalition won so the Republicans would lose? Que?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 10:24:32 PM »

Not Atlas Colors

Any others?

The Liberal Coalition won so the Republicans would lose? Que?

No the point is they didn't win by all that wide of a margin. And they lost the last two elections, even if not hugely. But the ALP candidates were also not all that appealing.

Let's just put it this way, what percentage of the Coalition voters do you think would vote Republican? Obviously if it's 100% then they win. But I don't think it's a stretch to say there's enough people in places like affluent north Sydney suburbs that wouldn't stick with the Republicans. Remember it doesn't even have to be a majority or even close, if the Coalition loses even 10% of their voters, then they lose the last election.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies