Is this post racially insensitive? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:15:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is this post racially insensitive? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this post racially insensitive?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 75

Author Topic: Is this post racially insensitive?  (Read 7662 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 24, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »

I didn't catch that his roommate was black the first time I read that. Plenty of gangsta white jocks in the South that like to use the n-word.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:38:21 PM »

What is it Scott should have said that would have carried anything like the same meaning?  "I have a roommate who fits the stereotypical image of monolithic black culture held by the Atlas Anti-Racism League"?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:30:52 AM »

What is it Scott should have said that would have carried anything like the same meaning?  "I have a roommate who fits the stereotypical image of monolithic black culture held by the Atlas Anti-Racism League"?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Alternatively, something like "inner city black kid from Charleston".  You can refer to someone as dark-skinned and from a less-than-ideal neighborhood (although who knows if he is) without calling him "gangsta-type" and saying he's from "some hood".

So "gangsta" and "inner city black" mean the same thing to you?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:10:01 PM »

Alternatively, something like "inner city black kid from Charleston".  You can refer to someone as dark-skinned and from a less-than-ideal neighborhood (although who knows if he is) without calling him "gangsta-type" and saying he's from "some hood".

So "gangsta" and "inner city black" mean the same thing to you?

No, of course not.  "Gangsta...from the hood" implies things (mostly, er, about himself) that I don't think Scott meant to imply.  Racial insensitivity is in the form, not the meaning.  As Gustaf said:

Your attempt at providing an example what Scott could have said that would be racially sensitive eviscerates not just the form but also the meaning of his post. The fact that his roommate is black does not in itself explain why he and Scott would be "polar opposites."  If Scott is not supposed to use terms associated with a certain subculture, what terms should he use to indicate that subculture?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2014, 01:46:43 AM by shua »

Also, the idea that Scott saying he gets annoyed by the use of the n-word is racially insensitive is bizarre to say the least.  Even if you believe that black people saying the n-word shouldn't be a problem, to say that a person is in the wrong to be affected by a word they have been enculturated to treat as taboo and consider the worst word in their language is fundamentally incompatible with the basics of human psychology.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies