Who will win in Rhode Island's Democratic primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:05:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who will win in Rhode Island's Democratic primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will win the Democratic nomination for Governor of Rhode Island?
Angel Taveras

Gina Raimondo

Clay Pell

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Who will win in Rhode Island's Democratic primary?  (Read 2661 times)
NHLiberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:48:26 PM »

I honestly have no idea. Also specify who you think will win 2nd and 3rd if you feel like it. And if you're a Democrat/Democratic-leaning independent, who are you rooting for?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »

I think that Gina Raimondo will pull it out and win, with Clay Pell being a close second, and Angel Taveras in third.

As to who I want to win? Clay Pell seems like a swell guy, has a interesting background, and seems to genuinely care about RI.

Angel Taveras looks sleazy, but I guess he'd be fine too. He seems to be backed by alot of the unions in Rhode Island.

I don't know much about Gina Raimondo, but she seems especially fit for dealing with Rhode Island's economy, as she is the State Treasurer.

Ought to be an interesting race for sure.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »

I think Raimondo will put it out. She's already been elected statewide which is to her benefit, and to play "that" card, she's a woman which I think makes her stand out.

I think Taveras will come in second primarily because he is the mayor of the state's largest city and he will probably receive the vote of most of the Hispanic vote (which is ever increasing in the state of Rhode Island).

Clay Pell has some name recognition (well... his grandpa's name... and his wife's) but I think he's too young and too inexperienced and either of the other two would be better. I think he should work his way up through Rhode Island politics and in the future run. And most likely win.

That being said, I would love a moderate/liberal Republican to win; someone like a Jodi Rell or a William Weld that neighboring states have elected, unlike Carcieri.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:53:07 AM »

I (reluctantly) want Taveras to win but my gut tells me Raimondo is going to win. Clay Pell is the closest to my views but he is far too progressive for this state and lacks any experience.

If Raimondo wins and the GOP nominates Block, I will vote for Block. If Raimondo wins and the GOP nominates Fung I will abstain from voting for governor.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:43 AM »

Lean Pell due to a late surge, but it's very close.

My prediction:

34% Pell
32% Raimondo
31% Taveras
  3% Giroux
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:15:51 AM »

I (reluctantly) want Taveras to win but my gut tells me Raimondo is going to win. Clay Pell is the closest to my views but he is far too progressive for this state and lacks any experience.

If Raimondo wins and the GOP nominates Block, I will vote for Block. If Raimondo wins and the GOP nominates Fung I will abstain from voting for governor.

What's the deal with the Republican primary? Who's the better candidate? I was thinking Fung, but what's your opinion?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »

I am genuinely torn, on both who I want to win and who I think will win.

Taveras has some good accomplishments, and has stood up for public service and education, but he's been very negative in campaigning.

Pell might be inexperienced and grew up rich, but I almost want someone who has no connection to corrupt RI politics and who can just fund himself so he's not prone to special interests. He's also very progressive, and the policies on his website for the economy and education are very thought out. I don't think you really need that much experience to be RI Governor.

Raimondo has got stuff done that needed to be done, even when it might be unpopular, which I like. But there were some questions about her finance connections. I think she's the better campaigner.

I (regretfully) helped campaign for Cicilline for Congress in the 2010 primaries. Never really liked him, but his economic platform was good. Then all the dirt about him came out after the election. In 2012, I just felt disgusted with him, and voted for the Republican. I regret not voting for the idealistic progressive with less experience. So I think I'm leaning towards Pell, as a vote I at least won't regret.

(Block is the better candidate for the GOP, see this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=196736.0 )

They are having a live debate right now.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2014, 05:35:43 PM by Starwatcher »

The primary is on Tuesday.

I ended up voting for Gina (early voting), but I hope Clay runs for something in the near-future and wins. Maybe challenge Cicilline in 2016.

I just ended up liking Gina's education plan better (though I hope the Hope Internship and the marine economy proposals still pass), I have respect for the tough decision she made on pension reform, and I think she's ready to hit the ground running to help our economy (while Pell would need more coaching in the beginning).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »

Raimondo by less than 5%
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »

As a Republican, who do I want to win (in other words, who's the weakest GE candidate)?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »

As a Republican, who do I want to win (in other words, who's the weakest GE candidate)?

Probably Clay Pell.
NHLiberal

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »

You want Angel Taveras to win, because you aren't from or anywhere near Rhode Island, and you aren't at all affected by the state's governance, so you want it to have the best Governor possible Smiley

But in all seriousness, probably Pell.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 11:43:01 AM »

Raimondo. NYT looked at the primary today.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »

Raimondo sounds like the candidate who will do the best for the state, it'll be interesting to see how the union divide works, whether it pushes Pell over the edge, or if Raimondo beats back both challenges.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how any of them do against the Republican in a head to head match-up.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »

Chafee endorses Pell. Interesting development.
NHLiberal

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »

Well...that's good news for Taveras. This is going to hurt Pell, and any potential Pell voters turned off by this will go Taveras over Raimondo. If this had happened earlier though it would make more of a difference.
KCDem

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »

Well...that's good news for Taveras. This is going to hurt Pell, and any potential Pell voters turned off by this will go Taveras over Raimondo. If this had happened earlier though it would make more of a difference.

What the hell are you talking about?
NHLiberal

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »

What the hell are you talking about?

Chafee is incredibly unpopular, and this confirms notions that have existed throughout the campaign that the two are very similar (which is mentioned in the article). It may be too late to make much of a difference, but this isn't a good thing. Even Pell gave Chafee a "C" on his economic performance.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 07:53:36 PM »

RIP Pell
NHLiberal

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »

"What the hell are you talking about?" - KCDem
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »

You forgot to include Todd Giroux on your list. He'll be the real winner, no matter what they say!!!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »

You forgot to include Todd Giroux on your list. He'll be the real winner, no matter what they say!!!

Lol Giroux surge!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »

After reading up a bit on the candidates, I'd probably have to cast an unenthusiastic vote for Pete Campbell here.

I think the Clinton clone will probably end up winning though.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:52 PM »

Anyone who thinks RI is a liberal state should remember that we just voted for a Mitt Romney Clone for governor and anti-public education advocate for lt. governor.
njwes
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2014, 11:01:31 PM by njwes »

Anyone who thinks RI is a liberal state should remember that we just voted for a Mitt Romney Clone for governor and anti-public education advocate for lt. governor.

Probably because of all those awful Italian- and Irish-Americans Progressives love to demonize so much Wink

Realistically, is there any hope of Fung winning this race? Is it notable that Raimondo's win was pretty decisive?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies