Any State Parties in Disagreement on Big Issues?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:27:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Any State Parties in Disagreement on Big Issues?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any State Parties in Disagreement on Big Issues?  (Read 1270 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »

On simple, hot button issues (e.g., gay marriage or abortion), are there any state parties that openly disagree with the national platform?  For example, is the state Republican Party in some liberal states in support of marriage equality or are there state Democratic Parties in some Southern states that have a pro-life platform?  I know I can look this up (and I will eventually), but I was wondering if anyone knew any outliers off of the top of their heads!
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »

I believe Nevada's Republican Party dropped opposition to gay marriage and abortion from its platform?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:54:12 PM »

I'm sure the Democratic parties in OK/KY/WV/AR openly disagree with the DNC as much as possible, on abortion, gay marriage and on oil/coal/environmental issues where applicable.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rhode Island's GOP were openly opposed to the national line on most social issues.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:51:50 AM »

The RI GOP state senators voted to support gay marriage unanimously.

And RI Democratic state lawmakers tend to be anti-union and pro-life. They also led the way on our state's Voter ID law.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:44:34 AM »

And RI Democratic state lawmakers tend to be anti-union and pro-life. They also led the way on our state's Voter ID law.

Beat me to it. I can't stand the RI Democratic Party.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »

What is the source of their relative conservatism? What makes them different from MA/CT?
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 09:21:18 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2014, 09:23:02 PM by NerdyBohemian »

What is the source of their relative conservatism? What makes them different from MA/CT?

On social issues, most of them do whatever the Vatican tells them to do. We have the highest percentage of Roman Catholics in the country so whoever is the Bishop of the Diocese of Providence has a lot of sway. That's why all opposition to marriage equality came from Democrats. One of the reasons it took so long for us to pass marriage equality was our Senate president cared more about what the Vatican had to say about marriage equality than what her own constituents thought.  I also believe it's about 50/50 pro-choice/anti-choice in Democratic caucus in the state house.

On economic issues, it stems from being a one party state since the 1930s. It is extremely difficult to be elected to any statewide office (sans governor) unless you are a Democrat. Most state legislature districts are the same way. Due to this, everyone runs as a Democrat regardless of their political views. In most suburban and rural districts (and even urban if you're in Woonsocket!) the Democratic primary boils down to "who can be the most conservative?" These of the sort of areas that in a more purple state like Pennsylvania or Ohio would easily go to Republicans, but due to party loyalty people keep voting for Democrats.

The chair of the RI Democratic Party is also inept and a coward. If a large chunk of Democrats in say Ohio or Wisconsin started pulling the anti-union and tax cuts for the wealthy crap the Democrats do in this state, you can bet there'd be a primary challenge.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »

I believe Mississippi has the most conservative Democrats in the country.

I don't know if it's like Rhode Island where there is almost no difference.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 10:54:48 PM »

On social issues, most of them do whatever the Vatican tells them to do. We have the highest percentage of Roman Catholics in the country so whoever is the Bishop of the Diocese of Providence has a lot of sway. That's why all opposition to marriage equality came from Democrats. One of the reasons it took so long for us to pass marriage equality was our Senate president cared more about what the Vatican had to say about marriage equality than what her own constituents thought.  I also believe it's about 50/50 pro-choice/anti-choice in Democratic caucus in the state house.

On economic issues, it stems from being a one party state since the 1930s. It is extremely difficult to be elected to any statewide office (sans governor) unless you are a Democrat. Most state legislature districts are the same way. Due to this, everyone runs as a Democrat regardless of their political views. In most suburban and rural districts (and even urban if you're in Woonsocket!) the Democratic primary boils down to "who can be the most conservative?" These of the sort of areas that in a more purple state like Pennsylvania or Ohio would easily go to Republicans, but due to party loyalty people keep voting for Democrats.

The chair of the RI Democratic Party is also inept and a coward. If a large chunk of Democrats in say Ohio or Wisconsin started pulling the anti-union and tax cuts for the wealthy crap the Democrats do in this state, you can bet there'd be a primary challenge.

So who are the Republicans in Rhode Island? Where does their base of support lie?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2014, 02:44:25 PM by Starwatcher »

I think there's 6 elected Republicans in the General Assembly.

Also, when they just elected a new Speaker of the House, the Democrats made a big deal about getting the unanimous support of the few Republicans. Which even I found to be quite weird.

EDIT: There are 11 elected Republicans at the state level. 5 in the 38-member Senate (6 if you include the Independent), and 6 in the 75-member House. And like I said, the RI Republican Senators unanimously voted to support gay marriage.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »

The WV Democratic Party is actually stunningly more liberal than you'd expect. Very partyline because the leadership are closeted Obama-lovers.

The WVGOP actually endorsed the Fairtax in their 2008 platform. I was there when they adopted the plank. Huckabee supporters dominated the convention, thus the Fairtax.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »

It almost sounds like a reverse Wyoming.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 05:24:03 PM »

It almost sounds like a reverse Wyoming.

Republicans in WY try to out-liberal each other?
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The areas with the most Republican support tend to be the very rural (by RI standards) towns of the RI/CT border. Whenever a town votes Republican in presidential elections it is always a town from this region. Almost all of the Republican representation in our legislature comes from this area as well.

This area is inhabited by "swamp yankees" which is a phrase used to describe WASPs along the RI/CT border. This area tends to have less Roman Catholics and "ethnic" whites which makes it different from the rest of RI which is inhabited by Roman Catholic Italians, Irish, Portuguese and French-Canadians.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 12:22:17 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The areas with the most Republican support tend to be the very rural (by RI standards) towns of the RI/CT border. Whenever a town votes Republican in presidential elections it is always a town from this region. Almost all of the Republican representation in our legislature comes from this area as well.

This area is inhabited by "swamp yankees" which is a phrase used to describe WASPs along the RI/CT border. This area tends to have less Roman Catholics and "ethnic" whites which makes it different from the rest of RI which is inhabited by Roman Catholic Italians, Irish, Portuguese and French-Canadians.
Isn't East Greenwick very Republican too? 
They tend to be very upper-middle-class.
Same with the Portsmouth/Bristol/Barrington region.
Somewhat with Smithfield/Lincoln too, and Warwick.
Along with the western region, as you mentioned.
Not sure how that happened, though.

Yet like I said, the Republicans only have 6 seats in the 38-member Senate and 6 seats in the 75-member House.

So I really wouldn't say the Republicans in RI have a base region at all.

Here's a map to see:

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 05:26:20 AM »

I know that the Hawaii Republican Party is identical to the national Republican Party. They probably should change that, too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies