The Demonstrations Act of 2014 (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:44:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Demonstrations Act of 2014 (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Demonstrations Act of 2014 (Tabled)  (Read 1536 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »

I do not expect for this act to be passed without any modifications; indeed, I welcome proposals to better this bill and hope that it can be fine-tuned. However, my basic motivation for introducing this bill was that, as we have seen over recent weeks, demonstrations and protests have the capacity to get... out of hand, shall I say. Now, not only is this bad for the community as a whole (think of the disruption that large and impromptu demonstrations can cause), but it some caes, the demonstrators themselves, as it can lead to a ruckus with the police.

My view is that the introduction of a nationwide permit system would act to reduce the size of demonstrations (due to the fact that many people will, most likely, not go to the trouble of getting a permit) which will make them easier for local law-enforcement to control. Secondly, a nationwide permit system will allow local authorities to bar known troublemakers (those with a history of violent offences for example) from attending demonstrations, and thus reduce the likelihood of demonstrations being pushed into violence by the actions of a small minority. I hope this measure would help strengthen public security.

I am open to amendments and additions to this bill. But, as a starting point at least.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:01:22 AM »

Well, thank you for all of your feedback. I would like to withdraw this bill from consideration by the Senate, as you seem united in opposition to it, and because it would have a fair chance of being declared unconstitutional even if it were passed.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:18:44 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies