The Demonstrations Act of 2014 (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:52:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Demonstrations Act of 2014 (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Demonstrations Act of 2014 (Tabled)  (Read 1527 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:40 AM »

While I certainly understand the motives behind Cassius's proposal, this would most likely be unconstitutional and given the Atlasian context quite hard to enforce.

To give an external perspective, the Constitution set by the military government in my country during the 80's does protect the right to protest in a peaceful way, but an Executive Order was approved in 1983 which required all major protests or public mobilizations to request an authorization from the local Governor in order to make the protest legal. During the past years and thanks to the student protests across Chile we've had an endless debate about the nature of these protests, the legality of the Executive Order that regulates them (and some agree it is unconstitutional, which doesn't stop others from defending its use and so forth) and the thin line between a "pacific" and a "violent" protest (which is very open to interpretation), a debate that would probably be a thousand times worse here given the much higher emphasis on civil liberties that Atlasia has, hence why I think this would be unpractical as well.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies