Opinion of Irish abortion laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:28:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Irish abortion laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Positive (D)

Positive (R)

Positive (I/O)

Negative (D)

Negative (R)

Negative (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Opinion of Irish abortion laws  (Read 2586 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
« edited: April 02, 2017, 11:34:39 AM by TDAS04 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Life_During_Pregnancy_Act_2013

Irish law allows abortion if the mother's life is deemed to be in danger, but not for rape or any other reason.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 03:34:27 PM »

Generally positive although the laws needs to improve its process for allowing abortions for ectopic pregnancies and the like to go through.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:34:59 PM »

Here we've mostly learnt that the term 'danger' is a very ambiguous one.

Obviously they're awful, but awful in kinda interesting way. The pro-life movement unintentionally helped to slightly liberalize our laws on this recently, to much lulz all round.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »

Horrifying. Women should be able to choose a safe and legal abortion, free of charge and on demand, for any reason and without any questions asked or artificial hoops constructed for her to jump through in order to exercise that right (i.e. waiting periods or mandatory viewing of a sonogram, etc.)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »

Negative, too restrictive.

Horrifying. Women should be able to choose a safe and legal abortion, free of charge and on demand, for any reason and without any questions asked or artificial hoops constructed for her to jump through in order to exercise that right (i.e. waiting periods or mandatory viewing of a sonogram, etc.)

Ha, I would love to see you and TJ debate on abortion.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 05:03:17 PM »

Generally positive although the laws needs to improve its process for allowing abortions for ectopic pregnancies and the like to go through.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »

You guys realise literally no-one thinks Irish abortion laws are "generally positive"? Even the pro-life lunatics dislike them.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »

Obviously crap.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »

Obviously terrible laws.

Abortion restrictions inevitably endanger the mother, even when the exception for her life supposedly exists.  I'm not sure who decides or how they decide whether or not the mother's life is threatened.  When women need an urgent, lifesaving procedure, abortion restrictions result in them being burdened by having "prove" that their lives are at risk.  Doctors may still be afraid to treat them because they're afraid of the law. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »

Obviously terrible laws.

Abortion restrictions inevitably endanger the mother, even when the exception for her life supposedly exists.  I'm not sure who decides or how they decide whether or not the mother's life is threatened.  When women need an urgent, lifesaving procedure, abortion restrictions result in them being burdened by having "prove" that their lives are at risk.  Doctors may still be afraid to treat them because they're afraid of the law. 

Exactly.

And the particular amendment in the constitution states that both the unborn fetus and the mother must be treated 'equally'. We live with the consequences.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »

They make me sad, to say the least.  You would think that one of the first nations to have women actively involved in their government would show them a little more respect in regards to their own bodies.

You would think wrong.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »

The suicide exception is odd, to say the least.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »

Clearly has a lot of problems, but far superior to the situation in much of the world.  There's not an easy way to come up with good law on this issue that deals with all the interests and concerns involved.  The times when the health of women are threatened by the law are concerning and important but rare, with Ireland having one of the lowest maternal mortality rates in the world.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »

Clearly horrific
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 03:55:03 PM »

You guys realise literally no-one thinks Irish abortion laws are "generally positive"? Even the pro-life lunatics dislike them.

My view is that they're a heck of a lot better than the laws in my barbarous nation. They may not be ideal, but they're a Western laws that significantly restrict abortion, and for that I am glad.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 06:52:41 PM »

My view is that they're a heck of a lot better than the laws in my barbarous nation. They may not be ideal, but they're a Western laws that significantly restrict abortion, and for that I am glad.

Well, that is the first and probably only time I will see "barbarous" used in reference to Canada. 

And of course these laws are disgusting.  TNF has it right.  See his post above. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »

A little milquetoast but better than ours.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 12:50:27 AM »

Well, that is the first and probably only time I will see "barbarous" used in reference to Canada. 

What about with regards to hockey? Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 04:01:24 AM »

This.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 10:30:34 AM »

What would you prefer? I quite like them as is.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »

What about with regards to hockey? Wink

Getting one's aggression out through a sport as fun and challenging as hockey is hardly barbarous!
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »

This.

Do you agree with TNF on legalized abortion on demand up to birth, Antonio?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 03:58:26 AM »

This.

Do you agree with TNF on legalized abortion on demand up to birth, Antonio?

No, I support reasonable time limits based on viability (which I think would translate in 25-30 weeks, though I'm not very versed in the details). I'm thankful TNF left that bit out of his post.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 02:19:42 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2014, 02:32:00 PM by MooMooMoo »

Negative, too restrictive.

Ha, I would love to see you and TJ debate on abortion.

Not really. They would probably just moo at each other for 25 minutes. No land wars in Asia. No "debates" about abortion.

Obviously terrible laws.

Abortion restrictions inevitably endanger the mother, even when the exception for her life supposedly exists.  I'm not sure who decides or how they decide whether or not the mother's life is threatened.  When women need an urgent, lifesaving procedure, abortion restrictions result in them being burdened by having "prove" that their lives are at risk.  Doctors may still be afraid to treat them because they're afraid of the law.  

It will be interesting to see how someone gets a legal abortion through a rape exception. Obviously, you don't wait until you have an adjudication of guilt of the perp.

Further, who provides exception to personhood laws/abortion bans? Only 5-10% of abortions in this country can be considered forensic (rape, incest?(I find this exception from moderate pro-personhooders to be odd), pregnancy caused by a felony?) or critically therapeutic (threat to mother's life). No abortion clinic will stay open just to perform maybe a few dozen abortions a year (There are 500 abortionists and 1,000,000 abortions in the US..and after such a law, there would be like 100,000?).  Maybe what separates personhoods from those that are moderate antiabortionists is that they don't support exceptions for forensic abortion. Critically therapeutic abortions are probably 2%-3% of all abortions...and that's pushing it. Who will perform them? Who performs them in Ireland?

I'm against personhood.

In total, these are bad laws. Because this is basically a personhood law, how does this constitutional amendment change birth control access and stem cell transplants?

Who determines if the criteria for an exception is satisfied and how does one redeem their sanctioned abortion? I'm guessing its all done at the hospital and there is an emergency hearing in front of a judge or that the local prosecutorial officer signs an affidavit to not prosecute once he talks to the doctors at the hospital?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »

Strange.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: