Teddy Kennedy, 5 years gone
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:57:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Teddy Kennedy, 5 years gone
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Teddy Kennedy, 5 years gone  (Read 4397 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »

I've always been a little disturbed at how easily some you just casually dismiss Chappaquiddick. He obviously was not a good person.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »

CAPS WILL NOT GET YOU ATTENTION
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »

My feelings about Ted Kennedy are mixed.  I'm not his biggest fan (Chappaquiddick was shameful).  I would have preferred Jerry Brown in the 1980 primaries, and maybe Carter too. 
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »

Not big on disrespecting the dead in death threads, but it is 10 years later so those complaining about the disrespect are really just complaining that someone dare say something bad about King Reagan the Great.

Yay.  10 years without that waste of oxygen. 

Well, let the tributes to the great Senator Kennedy pour in! Not only was a he world-class Senator, but an excellent swimmer as well Wink.

Why would I whine? Kennedy never accomplished anything. He never was elected to the Presidency. He is mostly remembered for being JFK's brother, giving a damn good speech at the DNC, and Chappaquiddick. About where he should be.

How to sound uneducated and incredibly bitter in the same comment, by Chairman Sanchez.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 07:34:48 PM »

You seem to have glossed over the 1962 election. The charge that Edward Moore (Kennedy) inherited the Senate seat was made by prominent white liberal Eddie McCormack in the 1962 primary.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 10:26:02 AM »

Five years ago today, Teddy Kennedy passed away in Hyannis Port. I have changed my avatar for the next week in respect.

The liberal wing of the party and defenders of universal healthcare have certainly lacked a voice since he left.

Mary Jo Kopechne - Dead 44 years
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »

Five years ago today, Teddy Kennedy passed away in Hyannis Port. I have changed my avatar for the next week in respect.

The liberal wing of the party and defenders of universal healthcare have certainly lacked a voice since he left.

Mary Jo Kopechne - Dead 44 years

A Dead Horse - Dead 44 years
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »

Well, it isn't though is it? We aren't talking about some youthful misdemeanour or a non-scandal scandal here, but appalling behavior that ought to have led to a manslaughter conviction and a spell in prison.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 03:54:56 PM »

Well, it isn't though is it? We aren't talking about some youthful misdemeanour or a non-scandal scandal here, but appalling behavior that ought to have led to a manslaughter conviction and a spell in prison.

At the very least, it should have been the end of his political career. The car accident itself, while obviously a terrible error and tragedy, could of course be forgiven. His behavior in the aftermath of the accident on the other hand, was totally despicable and it's very hard for me to understand how he got away with it so easily, politically speaking (even when taking into account the Kennedy name, and the family's huge losses in the few years beforehand).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 04:17:07 PM »

You seem to have glossed over the 1962 election. The charge that Edward Moore (Kennedy) inherited the Senate seat was made by prominent white liberal Eddie McCormack in the 1962 primary.

I believe McCormack said that if his name was Edward Moore instead of Edward Kennedy, no one would take his bid seriously. Somewhat ironically, McCormack himself was a nephew of then-Speaker of the House John McCormack, though he had already been an established politician on his own.

I'm a huge fan of Ted Kennedy, but it's undeniable he was, basically, handed the Senate seat. It was decided already in 1960, when JFK resigned to become President and urged the Governor to appoint a placeholder, his former roomate, till Ted reached 30. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

Teddy Kennedy, with the most famous family name in Massachusetts,  was able to win a Senate seat in one of the most Democratic states in the nation, a seat held by his very famous brother and President, John F Kennedy, who made it clear he wanted his little brother to inherit the seat.

However, he was not able to defeat the President and Georgia peanut farmer, when it came to running outside his personal little enclave of liberalism and Kennedyism, and wrest the nomination from a bumbling Chief Executive.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »

Teddy Kennedy, with the most famous family name in Massachusetts,  was able to win a Senate seat in one of the most Democratic states in the nation, a seat held by his very famous brother and President, John F Kennedy, who made it clear he wanted his little brother to inherit the seat.

However, he was not able to defeat the President and Georgia peanut farmer, when it came to running outside his personal little enclave of liberalism and Kennedyism, and wrest the nomination from a bumbling Chief Executive.

Is this supposed to be new information to anyone?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »

Is this supposed to be new information to anyone?

It might be to you.  I'm not sure.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies