GOP Congressman, who pressured his patient & mistress to abortion, is...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:16:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP Congressman, who pressured his patient & mistress to abortion, is...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP Congressman, who pressured his patient & mistress to abortion, is...  (Read 1334 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »

... renominated for his job, winning his primary electon by 38 votes.

http://news.yahoo.com/mistresses-abortions-werent-enough-topple-pro-family-rep-155301758.html

Seriously?

Congressman DesJarlais slept with his patients, and encouraged both his wife and a mistress to get abortions.

He calls himself a family values Republican.

I hope he loses in the general. What scum.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:50:16 PM »

He will win reelection.  It's sad, but true.  Hopefully we can primary him in 2016, and I will make sure personally he is.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »

As much as I would love a new (D) Congressman from my homestate, it would make no sense for a Republican to dump him in the general just for being a bad person. Smart people vote on policy. Especially in the House where there are so many members, personality makes no difference.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:14:04 PM »

So much for being one of the Class of 2010... and I'm disappointed Jim Tracy didn't primary him Sad
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »

As much as I would love a new (D) Congressman from my homestate, it would make no sense for a Republican to dump him in the general just for being a bad person. Smart people vote on policy. Especially in the House where there are so many members, personality makes no difference.

You don't think a very basic standard of ethics is a prerequisite to holding a public position?

Or at the very least, holding yourself to the same standards you want to use the letter of the law to impose on others?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »

So much for being one of the Class of 2010... and I'm disappointed Jim Tracy didn't primary him Sad

You mean you're disappointed that Jim Tracy lost to him by 35 votes?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »

Despite 2009, the thing about Jim Tracy is that he's never been a particularly good manager.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:52:04 PM »

You don't think a very basic standard of ethics is a prerequisite to holding a public position?

Or at the very least, holding yourself to the same standards you want to use the letter of the law to impose on others?
We choose members of Congress to vote for us in Washington. If a member is a nice person, that's great, and it's a factor in a primary election, where there's often not a lot a real difference between candidates,  but at the end of the day, it's not all that important to the job. I certainly wouldn't support a candidate whose views are different than mine just to make some statement. This is not about who gets to be Prom King. It's about whose vision for America is best.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:26:11 PM »

We choose members of Congress to vote for us in Washington. If a member is a nice person, that's great, and it's a factor in a primary election, where there's often not a lot a real difference between candidates,  but at the end of the day, it's not all that important to the job. I certainly wouldn't support a candidate whose views are different than mine just to make some statement. This is not about who gets to be Prom King. It's about whose vision for America is best.

It would be more understandable if a Prom King got some random chick pregnant and tried to talk her into getting an abortion so it wouldn't mess with his life.

Given what DesJarlais has done, is someone of his character really above trading his votes for bribes and influence or using his office in otherwise illegal ways?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »

I certainly wouldn't support an abominable hypocrite just to make some statement.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 09:15:53 PM »

Who is running against him?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »

The district is R+18, so no chance he loses the general.
GaussLaw
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »

DeJarlais is an awful person, but most people view Congressional elections as if both candidates were talking cyborgs whose biggest power is to vote with either the GOP or the Dems.  Thus, he's safe.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »

Is DesJarlais pro-choice politically? If not, why didn't the state party force him to resign when this scandal broke, and/or refuse to put him on the primary ballot? Seems like a pretty obvious move for a Southern Republican party...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »

It had a Blue Dog in the seat until 2010, though they may have changed the boundaries since then.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 09:29:57 AM »

Is DesJarlais pro-choice politically? If not, why didn't the state party force him to resign when this scandal broke, and/or refuse to put him on the primary ballot? Seems like a pretty obvious move for a Southern Republican party...

No you see, he is a Republican so abortions are okay so long as you still vote to take everyone else's rights away.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »

I feel genuinely upset about this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »

It had a Blue Dog in the seat until 2010, though they may have changed the boundaries since then.
The old TN-4 was mostly rural and drawn by the old TN legislature to be as Democratic as possible. Since then, rural people have become substantially less willing to consider a Blue Dog and the Republican legislature redrew the boundaries to be much more of a suburban district, whose voters (wisely) vote more on policy than an entrenched good old boy network. Tom Delay's district elected a Democratic reprrsentative after a scandal, so I don't want to say it's impossible, but it's extremely unlikely.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 09:30:23 PM »

Unfortunately you can't expect primary voters to actually bother figuring out who their candidates are. For some reason Tennessee seems to have a worse problem than the nation as a whole with this. But it's bad everywhere. Other than the Atlas types no one has a clue who their primary/lower level office candidates are.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »

Unfortunately you can't expect primary voters to actually bother figuring out who their candidates are. For some reason Tennessee seems to have a worse problem than the nation as a whole with this. But it's bad everywhere. Other than the Atlas types no one has a clue who their primary/lower level office candidates are.
This is not an Alvin Greene situation. He's the incumbent.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »

Tennessee definitely has the dumbest primary electorate of any state in the country. Must be something in the water there.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »

This is not an Alvin Greene situation. He's the incumbent.

I am aware. I just don't think most of the people of his district actually realized all the stuff he's done when they voted for him.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 10:11:12 PM »

I have responded to this but my response keeps on getting deleted.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 06:50:53 AM »

Let me try again.  You are "pro-choice" (ick, I don't want to use that term), yes? What do you find upsetting here, then?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 07:28:24 AM »

Let me try again.  You are "pro-choice" (ick, I don't want to use that term), yes? What do you find upsetting here, then?

Uh, maybe because forcing a woman to have an abortion is the very opposite of "choice"?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies