For Gully Foyle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:18:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  For Gully Foyle
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For Gully Foyle  (Read 1464 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2014, 03:18:25 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisr414d8a71a/post-structuralism-explained-with-hipster-beards-xwfz

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisr414d8a71a/post-structuralism-explained-with-hipster-beards-2-xwfz

Presented without comment.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »

Part 1 is a good introduction to semantics for non-linguists.  Part 2 is terrifying.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:50:17 AM »

Are you saying you want to contact our support hotline?

Oh ftr, I'm not a post-structuralist. Actually the whole thing is seen as something of an intellectual embarassment these days. Although part 2 does contain a bit of truth.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 02:38:26 PM by traininthedistance »

Oh ftr, I'm not a post-structuralist. Actually the whole thing is seen as something of an intellectual embarassment these days. Although part 2 does contain a bit of truth.

Wasn't trying to imply that you were- just that you might appreciate... er, "appreciate" this.

I'd say (and presumably agree with you?) that the movement qua movement is a punchline more often than not, but that there are some babies floating in that bathwater which are worth salvaging.  I'd actually extend that to say most intellectual movements are like that, which probably sounds very mealy-mouthed and Moderate Heroish but whatev.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »

Wasn't trying to imply that you were- just that you might appreciate... er, "appreciate" this.

I'd agree that the movement qua movement is a punchline more often than not, but that there are some babies floating in that bathwater which are worth salvaging.

Yeah I'd go along with that. It was the philosophy of a future which never arrived (this should panic the 'Rise of the Robots' people).

Worth noting that part 2 doesn't mention Jacques Lacan, there are some things that I can't be mentioned (nor Claude Levi-Strauss, who is probably more responsible for it than anyone else).
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »

I'd agree that the movement qua movement is a punchline more often than not, but that there are some babies floating in that bathwater which are worth salvaging.

Yeah I'd go along with that. It was the philosophy of a future which never arrived (this should panic the 'Rise of the Robots' people).

Worth noting that part 2 doesn't mention Jacques Lacan, there are some things that I can't be mentioned (nor Claude Levi-Strauss, who is probably more responsible for it than anyone else).

Levi-Strauss is mentioned at the end of Part 1.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 03:02:06 PM »

Levi-Strauss is mentioned at the end of Part 1.

Oops... missed that. Still that he pretty much invented Structuralism is given short shrift in 'the literature' these days.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies