Making what is "bad" not bad? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:12:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Making what is "bad" not bad? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Making what is "bad" not bad?  (Read 5502 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:20 PM »

He's got a gun!!!!!

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »

The crazy thing about this is that Reaganfan laments a time that never existed, one that only exists in the nostaglia of the bitter. There were more murders under Reagan, more homelessness, a crack cocaine epidemic, more teen pregnancies.  The morning in America motif was all a rhetorical device. 

Simply put, the Reaganfans of the world would rather condemn "bad" people than get people the help that they need. Theyve built a poweful American myth that everyone can simply pull themselves up out of the more by their bootstraps and get ahead. This is simply not true. Real Christianity and a moral policy calls for providing a boost when our society fails. 

It is the hypocrisy of it all that gets to me. The Reaganfan archtype lament the social ills of our society out of one corner of the mouth, while cutting programs that actually help in the other- in the name of fiscal responsibility of course.  If you are ok with that fine, but don't pretend that you actually care. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:13 PM »

The crazy thing about this is that Reaganfan laments a time that never existed, one that only exists in the nostaglia of the bitter. There were more murders under Reagan, more homelessness, a crack cocaine epidemic, more teen pregnancies.  The morning in America motif was all a rhetorical device. 

Simply put, the Reaganfans of the world would rather condemn "bad" people than get people the help that they need. Theyve built a poweful American myth that everyone can simply pull themselves up out of the more by their bootstraps and get ahead. This is simply not true. Real Christianity and a moral policy calls for providing a boost when our society fails. 

It is the hypocrisy of it all that gets to me. The Reaganfan archtype lament the social ills of our society out of one corner of the mouth, while cutting programs that actually help in the other- in the name of fiscal responsibility of course.  If you are ok with that fine, but don't pretend that you actually care. 

Okay, I'll concede that these things shouldn't be vilified, if you will concede they shouldn't be happily justified.

I won't concede on the articles of clothing bit. Wearing a hoodie or baggy pants should not equate to being a criminal or a thug.  A white lawyer or football coach wouldnt be singled out for this treatment and I see no reason why a young person of color should be.

On the drugs front, you seem more concerned with punishment or enforcement than getting people treatment or addressing the social conditions that lead to drug use.  It's all very fire and brimstone mentality. The fact is that warehousing a generation of people for many drug offenses is a waste of money and resources that could be better spent fixing out many problems. There is also the huge problem of selective enforcement which correlates to the clothing example.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies