Carson vs. Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:52:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Carson vs. Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Carson vs. Democrat  (Read 2730 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »

I wonder how Carson would appeal to African Americans and to withe racists.
If he runs against a Southern Democrat (say Clinton), he might even lose Mississippi, which has been trending (media) blue for a long time.
The election map would look odd ...

When in the holy hell has MS been trending media blue?Huh? Oh, and way to race bait
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »

If he runs against a Southern Democrat (say Clinton), he might even lose Mississippi, which has been trending (media) blue for a long time.

When in the holy hell has MS been trending media blue?Huh? Oh, and way to race bait

Um...

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 11:11:51 PM »

LoL.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 11:35:07 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2014, 07:22:29 PM by MATTROSE94 »

This is what the map between Ben Carson and Hillary Clinton could potentially look like IMO (especially if Carson runs a particularly bad campaign):

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Senator Mark Warner (D-VA): 428 Electoral Votes
Neurosurgeon Ben Carson (R-MD)/Former Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA): 110 Electoral Votes
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »

I don't think racists would have a problem voting for a black person as long as they disowned their own race.

I keep forgetting that any Black Republican who doesn't obey White liberals' handbook for how Black people should think is disowning his or her own race.  Wow, seems like kind of a racist line of thought at first, but then I feel silly because I remember that the Laws of Physics prevent liberals from being racist.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 01:31:49 PM »

This is what the map between Ben Carson and Hillary Clinton could potentially look like IMO (especially if Carson runs a particularly bad campaign):

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Senator Mark Warner (D-VA): 420 Electoral Votes
Neurosurgeon Ben Carson (R-MD)/Former Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA): 118 Electoral Votes

Lol why in the world would he pick Santorum?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Senator Mark Warner (D-VA): 420 Electoral Votes
Neurosurgeon Ben Carson (R-MD)/Former Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA): 118 Electoral Votes

I wasn't really sure on a running-mate for Carson and figured that Santorum would have been the most likely choice for him.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 02:39:39 PM »

I wasn't really sure on a running-mate for Carson and figured that Santorum would have been the most likely choice for him.

Carson is very conservative, but I suspect he is the kind of candidate who would be willing to choose a more moderate running mate in order to balance the ticket. Cathy McMorris Rodgers wouldn't overshadow him too much, and neither would Kelly Ayotte; unfortunately I'm not sure how the Republican base would accept a ticket comprised of a black man and a white woman Sad

Also, one comment about your map: why wouldn't Louisiana vote Democratic in your map, especially since Hillary Clinton is the party's nominee? Louisiana is more urban than Mississippi, and both have a significant minority presence, so if the latter flips, the former should as well.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »

Carson is very conservative, but I suspect he is the kind of candidate who would be willing to choose a more moderate running mate in order to balance the ticket. Cathy McMorris Rodgers wouldn't overshadow him too much, and neither would Kelly Ayotte; unfortunately I'm not sure how the Republican base would accept a ticket comprised of a black man and a white woman Sad

Also, one comment about your map: why wouldn't Louisiana vote Democratic in your map, especially since Hillary Clinton is the party's nominee? Louisiana is more urban than Mississippi, and both have a significant minority presence, so if the latter flips, the former should as well.
Good point about Louisiana. If Hilary Clinton is carrying Mississippi, she would probably win Louisiana as well.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »

For all we know he could have the same positions as Ted Cruz or be a quieter version of Allen West it's very difficult to see how well someone would do when they've taken so little policy positions. All we really right now is he doesn't like Obama or Obamacare and doesn't believe in evolution either.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »

I can't see him winning. He's one of my more preferred Republicans right now (he's not annoying to me).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »

I don't think racists would have a problem voting for a black person as long as they disowned their own race.

I keep forgetting that any Black Republican who doesn't obey White liberals' handbook for how Black people should think is disowning his or her own race.  Wow, seems like kind of a racist line of thought at first, but then I feel silly because I remember that the Laws of Physics prevent liberals from being racist.

There's a reason why most prominent black Republicans tend to be like Allen West and Herman Cain, as opposed to say, Colin Powell.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2014, 05:40:45 PM by Zyzz »

Would be fun to see the trend map between 2012 (black Democrat vs. white Republican) and 2016 (black Republican vs. white Democrat).

Take a look at the totally non racist results in Northern Louisiana in the 2003 Gubernatorial election. The brown Republican Jindal mysteriously lost a bunch of very conservative counties in the north of the state.

Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 11:03:53 PM »

Nah, Carson is a complete fool and novice when it comes to politics and believes his generic far right paternalistic nonsense actually reflects the views of mainstream Americans if only they weren’t distorted by the politically correct media, etc.  I could see him thinking someone like Santorum would be a perfect fit actually.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Reagan was basically a celebrity politician, yet even he felt it was a good idea to balance his ticket with George H.W. Bush. Carson might surprise us all with his vice-presidential pick if he somehow becomes the Republican nominee. I just don't see Santorum as being the perfect fit for Carson (a plausible fit, yes...). Santorum seems more combative than Carson, and some of Santorum's past comments, like calling President Obama a snob regarding the subject of college education, probably wouldn't align with Carson's way of thinking.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies