Government social program for low income families regarding automobiles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:16:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Government social program for low income families regarding automobiles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should the government offer free cars and gas for low income families?
Yes

No

The last thing we need is more pollution

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Government social program for low income families regarding automobiles  (Read 1616 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »

Cars are a big expense for folks, so what do you think?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »

Nope.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »

Definitely no, but I do think government can assist to help people eventually get cars (through job training and such).
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »

Definitely no, but I do think government can assist to help people eventually get cars (through job training and such).
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »

No more non-cash benefits
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »

Free? No. Some kind of means-tested subsidy for insurance and paying for a used car? Yes.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »

Cars should be discouraged in general. They're unhealthy.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 03:47:03 AM »

The last thing we need is more pollution (and congestion for that matter).

The way to help the poor move is public transportation and cheaper Uber-like services.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 03:59:11 AM »

The money would be better invested in the development of affordable public transportation.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:31:16 AM »

The money would be better invested in the development of affordable public transportation.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:32 AM »

What about people who live in rural areas?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 12:03:25 PM »

Let the public transit crowd listen to the sound of their own echo. They do not wish to be inconvenienced by considering the lives of people who do not live in densely populated areas.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 01:16:56 PM »

Rural people need trucks. Trucks are not cars. They do work only individual vehicles can do.

Urban cars are a luxury. Even in the rare case you need one, it's easy and economical to use a rental or taxi for the task.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »

Rural people need trucks. Trucks are not cars. They do work only individual vehicles can do.

Urban cars are a luxury. Even in the rare case you need one, it's easy and economical to use a rental or taxi for the task.

I was also talking about people who live in small towns. Also, no everyone in rural areas "need trucks".
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »

Obviously transportation policy needs to take into account the needs of people who live in sparsely-populated or far-flung areas, and obviously most of those people need and will continue to need individual vehicles. To pretend that this somehow means that people who do live in densely-populated areas shouldn't be enabled and encouraged to rely primarily on mass transportation is chimerical.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »

Obviously.

Let the public transit crowd listen to the sound of their own echo. They do not wish to be inconvenienced by considering the lives of people who do not live in densely populated areas.

Heavens forfend we inconvenience the exurban crowd by considering the lives of people who do live in densely populated areas.  Or, hell, even so much as acknowledge the concept of externalities.

CrabCake's suggestion of subsidized ride-sharing for those in truly rural areas is a good one.  As for the suburbs, many of them can and should be retrofitted to become transit-friendly, and let ride-share be a bridge to that if necessary.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 04:00:11 PM »

No, if we're doing transport subsidies, we should be giving out free bus passes or something.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »

Obviously transportation policy needs to take into account the needs of people who live in sparsely-populated or far-flung areas, and obviously most of those people need and will continue to need individual vehicles. To pretend that this somehow means that people who do live in densely-populated areas shouldn't be enabled and encouraged to rely primarily on mass transportation is chimerical.

That wasn't what I was saying, for the record. I just thought that the idea that public transportation alone isn't the solution to the this issue which seemed implied by previous posts. It's part of the solution but there are vast swaths of lower-income Americans who will not be helped by it and their needs should also be taken into consideration when dealing with transportation-enabling policy.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »

That wasn't what I was saying, for the record. I just thought that the idea that public transportation alone isn't the solution to the this issue which seemed implied by previous posts. It's part of the solution but there are vast swaths of lower-income Americans who will not be helped by it and their needs should also be taken into consideration when dealing with transportation-enabling policy.

I know, and I agree. The person I thought might be (disingenuously as always) making that claim was AggregateDemand.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »

I know, and I agree. The person I thought might be (disingenuously as always) making that claim was AggregateDemand.

I said non-cash benefits are inappropriate. I avoid the tragedy of the plebs altogether by adhering to modern economic virtue of decentralized decision-making.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 07:02:41 PM »

I said non-cash benefits are inappropriate. I avoid the tragedy of the plebs altogether by adhering to modern economic virtue of decentralized decision-making.

That isn't the only thing you said in this thread.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:05 AM »

This and perhaps there be ways, if possible, to encourage/subsidize the rural poor to relocate to more developed areas.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2014, 06:11:37 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

This and perhaps there be ways, if possible, to encourage/subsidize the rural poor to relocate to more developed areas.

Or we could identify and pursue policies that genuinely help rural areas, instead of encouraging rural communities and cultures to (continue to) self-destruct because rectifying their problems seems too hard. The more I think about the subject matter of this thread the more I come around to the subsidized ride-sharing concept, for example. Comparatively well-settled countryside--as in, northwestern Massachusetts and east-central Iowa rather than northern Maine or western Kansas--could also sure as the sunrise have better bus service than it generally does; trains aren't the only kind of mass transportation available. The unsustainable environment that ought to be crusaded against is, and I think traininthedistance (who's the only real expert on transportation policy I'd say we have here) would agree with me on this, the cul-de-sac, not Rural Route Insert-Number-Here or the holler. Not that this is where suburban development in this country actually originated conceptually, but 'eliminating the distinction between town and country' was one of the ideas where Marx, while well-intentioned, went disastrously wrong.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »

Nope, sorry.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »

As a potential beneficiary of this, I would agree with this statement. (I'd get my mom's car after she got a free one)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies