Favorite Major City in the Mountain West
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:55:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Favorite Major City in the Mountain West
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Your Favorite Mountain West City?
Phoenix, AZ

Denver, CO

Las Vegas, NV

Albuquerque, NM

Tucson, AZ

Colorado Springs, CO

Anchorage, AK

Reno, NV

Boise, ID

Salt Lake City, UT

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Favorite Major City in the Mountain West  (Read 942 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »

Suburbs like Mesa, Henderson, or Aurora are NOT included for convience. I'll say Colorado Springs, with Las Vegas and Denver close in. I would love to move to this area of the country sometime in my lifetime.
Panda Express

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:48:06 PM »

Suburbs like Mesa, Henderson, or Aurora are NOT included for convience. I'll say Colorado Springs, with Las Vegas and Denver close in. I would love to move to this area of the country sometime in my lifetime.

Colorado Springs? WTF? Seriously, Colorado Springs is terrible even if you put politics aside. As for me, it's probably a tie between Las Vegas and Denver.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »

Colorado Springs? WTF? Seriously, Colorado Springs is terrible even if you put politics aside. As for me, it's probably a tie between Las Vegas and Denver.

Why is Colorado Springs terrible? For starters its right next to beautiful mountains and many national parks. I've never been there, so what have you faced when you went there? (or do you live there?)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:26 PM »

I almost feel obligated to Reno, because I was born there, but I can't stand the winters there. I went with Las Vegas, but Phoenix and Tucson are also good choices.
Panda Express

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »

Why is Colorado Springs terrible? For starters its right next to beautiful mountains and many national parks. I've never been there, so what have you faced when you went there? (or do you live there?)

Yeah, I've lived in several places in Colorado including Colorado Springs.

Colorado in general has many beautiful mountains and national parks. Even if you choose to live in Denver or around that area, you're still still relatively close to famous national park areas like Garden of the Gods. So if you're looking for beautiful mountains and national parks, Colorado Springs doesn't really have an "advantage" over, say, Denver.

Politically speaking, it is a pretty strong Jesus land. After all, Focus on the Family is headquartered there. As a libertarian, Colorado Springs is presumably the "wrong" kind of conservatism for you. (Unless you are a fundamentalist). It's also a huge military and police town. If you like that, then maybe you should choose the Springs to live. But if you aren't a "military" person, you're likely going to feel uncomfortable. This is because much of the town is designed to accommodate the military.

There is nothing to do in the city. It's one of the most boring cities to have ever existed in the entire history of this planet. All of the things to do (music scene, bar scene, events etc) are all in Denver. Yeah, there are some hippies, musicians, and ski bums but the culture of the city is pretty dry for a city of its size. 

The transportation is notoriously bad. It's designed for a city of about 200,000 people yet the city is approaching 500,000 people. The city is famous for having traffic back-ups and other traffic problems. This actually becomes a big problem in winter because Colorado Springs is slower than the rest of the state when it comes to clearing snow and ice off the road.  There isn't much in terms of bus or rail systems (the exact opposite of Denver). Colorado Springs is known for having terrible drivers and also not a great record when it comes to crime.

In conclusion, CO Springs sucks.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »

Boise, SLC and Denver are the only ones I'd live in...but went with SLC because I feel like I'll end up actually living there at some point.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »

I'd probably vote for Boulder if that was an option, voted for Denver.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:51:25 AM »

Denver by a mile.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:56:29 AM »

Albuquerque seems neat.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 01:04:38 AM »

Denver. 
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 09:08:48 AM »

Denver #milehigh
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 10:34:57 AM »

Denver
Phoenix is worth a second thought though (it seems I'm quite alone with that opinion..)
As is Albuquerque
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »

Anchorage, though it's not in the Mountain West, IMO.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »

Denver. Very few Mountain West cities can get past my general distaste of having an actual cold winter. If I'm going to have a cold winter, I want to be in the mountains.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies