Waiting for the 538 real model about Senate and Governor races...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:19:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Waiting for the 538 real model about Senate and Governor races...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Waiting for the 538 real model about Senate and Governor races...  (Read 1728 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2014, 06:37:47 AM »

Enten said that 538 "should release the real model before September".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:00:54 AM »

This new 538 is really made of fail. And I say this as one of Nate's earliest fans.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 07:07:25 AM »

This new 538 is really made of fail. And I say this as one of Nate's earliest fans.
Are you only saying that because it doesn't show Democrats to have an advantage?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:14:53 AM »

Are you only saying that because it doesn't show Democrats to have an advantage?
No. I think that isn't for this.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »

I think he's saying that because the new 538 has still not launched their official model of the 2014 midterm elections - yet they still have time to run articles about the statistical accuracy of tarot readers and the effects of binge-watching the Simpsons on the human brain.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »

I think he's saying that because the new 538 has still not launched their official model of the 2014 midterm elections - yet they still have time to run articles about the statistical accuracy of tarot readers and the effects of binge-watching the Simpsons on the human brain.

dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:22:25 AM »

Election forecasting and predictions is what made Mr. Silver famous--whether or not he realizes it, that is what his appeal is built upon. Instead, he's traveling the country to find America's Best Burrito.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »

And sports, which none of his early friends care about
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:38:43 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2014, 12:40:14 PM by dmmidmi »

And sports, which none of his early friends care about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PECOTA
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2659
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »

Election forecasting and predictions is what made Mr. Silver famous--whether or not he realizes it, that is what his appeal is built upon. Instead, he's traveling the country to find America's Best Burrito.

Under flawed methodology too.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »

Didn't Nate state a while ago he didn't really care about 2014 since it would "be boring"? I think he's forgotten what gave him his prominence.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »

Personally, I find 538's current set articles way more interesting than yet another update of "who do we think is gonna win today!!!!1"
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »

Personally, I find 538's current set articles way more interesting than yet another update of "who do we think is gonna win today!!!!1"
GaussLaw
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 10:35:23 PM »

Agreed.  The World Cup series was fantastic.

538 needs a sports section, and it definitely needs a Life/Science section.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »

dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/sports/

They have an affiliation with ESPN--even though most of the FiveThirtyEight articles probably fly over the heads of a large share of ESPN's viewership.

Their sports section could probably be stronger--Nate first got people's attention by developing PECOTA, and has repeatedly exhibited that he's incredibly knowledgeable about baseball. However, their NFL season previews are pretty thorough, as was their article about Tim Duncan's value to the Spurs over the course of his career.

But, articles about measuring the speed of NFL teams, and then going on to say that it really isn't all that important, is kind of a head-scratcher.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 07:33:10 AM »

GaussLaw
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »

They have an affiliation with ESPN--even though most of the FiveThirtyEight articles probably fly over the heads of a large share of ESPN's viewership.

Their sports section could probably be stronger--Nate first got people's attention by developing PECOTA, and has repeatedly exhibited that he's incredibly knowledgeable about baseball. However, their NFL season previews are pretty thorough, as was their article about Tim Duncan's value to the Spurs over the course of his career.

But, articles about measuring the speed of NFL teams, and then going on to say that it really isn't all that important, is kind of a head-scratcher.

I know 538 has a sports section.  I was just praising the new 538 format in which it covers more than just politics.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 06:24:14 PM »

I know 538 has a sports section.  I was just praising the new 538 format in which it covers more than just politics.

I do like that FiveThirtyEight is currently covering more than just politics - I also really loved their World Cup series - but I'd much prefer they release an official model similar to the one they had back in 2012. The unscheduled updates on the midterms are a little underwhelming to be honest.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 03:18:24 PM »

Under flawed methodology too.

What methodology? Effectively it amounts to nothing little more than one woman tasting 64 different burritos (or something like that) and deciding which one she likes the best. Though that's not even the worst, or least interesting, part of the new 538...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 09:27:39 PM »

Maybe they have a time and place before, but the fact that very few of the articles are about politics when we're two months away from an election is shameful. And I find it hard to believe that people who are big enough political junkies to have tens of thousands of posts on the Atlas Forum are more interested in rating burritos as opposed to political analysis.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 09:43:16 PM »

Still no sign of the real model, and it'll be September on the east coast in an hour and 17 minutes. Instead of releasing the model today, 538 is promoting an article elsewhere on the web about limited toilet access in third-world countries.

Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »

Maybe they have a time and place before, but the fact that very few of the articles are about politics when we're two months away from an election is shameful. And I find it hard to believe that people who are big enough political junkies to have tens of thousands of posts on the Atlas Forum are more interested in rating burritos as opposed to political analysis.

I guess that's what happens to a site when it's owned by ESPN. I mean, it's not like political junkies are the only audience FiveThirtyEight is trying to serve. I'm fine with the site as now it is because politics isn't my only avid interest. I'd probably end up rather unhinged if that were my only focus. Tongue Burritos and sports are a welcome diversion, and even the most politically obsessed posters here would probably find Mona Chalabi's articles interesting. I don't think I'd visit FiveThirtyEight daily if it just rehashed political updates constantly with only minor tweaking; my distaste of tireless repitition in the news is the same reason why I only find it necessary to visit Upshot once or twice a week.
GaussLaw
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »

I guess that's what happens to a site when it's owned by ESPN. I mean, it's not like political junkies are the only audience FiveThirtyEight is trying to serve. I'm fine with the site as now it is because politics isn't my only avid interest. I'd probably end up rather unhinged if that were my only focus. Tongue Burritos and sports are a welcome diversion, and even the most politically obsessed posters here would probably find Mona Chalabi's articles interesting. I don't think I'd visit FiveThirtyEight daily if it just rehashed political updates constantly with only minor tweaking; my distaste of tireless repitition in the news is the same reason why I only find it necessary to visit Upshot once or twice a week.

Yeah, but I check Upshot Senate rankings daily, as I take them pretty seriously (sorry, KCDem).  But there's only so much original content you can have daily for political stuff.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies