WaPo's "Election Lab 2014" Senate Ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:59:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WaPo's "Election Lab 2014" Senate Ratings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WaPo's "Election Lab 2014" Senate Ratings  (Read 2908 times)
njwes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »

Does anyone know offhand why the Washington Post's Election Lab 2014 feature has had such wildly different ratings than all the other prediction models this cycle? Are they using a model that's markedly different than the other half-dozen other "quantitative" forecasts?

Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate that they're really going balls to the wall and claiming a 90+% chance of Republican takeover, and haven't been boringly wandering around between 40-60% for the last several months like those other milquetoast forecasts, but it seems like they could at least include a note of explanation somewhere.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »

Because  its metrics weight current poll numbers less, and underlying fundamentals more. In other words, the model "predicts" where the polls will end up rather than the current numbers, more than other forecasters do.
njwes
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »

Because  its metrics weight current poll numbers less, and underlying fundamentals more. In other words, the model "predicts" where the polls will end up rather than the current numbers, more than other forecasters do.

Thank you, that makes sense. Though the forecast also seems to have the quirk of moving VERY sharply between extremes in the individual Senate races--e.g., Iowa and Colorado careening between parties at 80+%. North Carolina and Alaska have also seen huge and fast swings, though not as extreme. Not sure why that should happen in a model that emphasizes fundamentals.

That said, I guess you can see the effect of underlying factors in, say, Kansas, which I don't think has ever fallen below 85 or 90% Republican even in the last couple months.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:59:11 PM »

Those percentages gave me a good laugh, thanks.
Princess Nyan Cat
nyancat
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: 4.35

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »

Their methodology has some odd quirks, especially in House race ratings. I've been watching them closely, and it's not unusual for a seat to jump from 75% Republican to 85% Democrat (or vice versa) overnight.

Nevertheless, all the various predictions I follow are generally converging to the same results.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:13:40 AM »

Their methodology is weird, but it sure makes me happy. I think it's different due to how they calculate everything.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 02:32:01 AM »

They have had a horrible right-wing bias throughout the entire cycle, but that is giving way to a more bi-partisan ridiculousness as election time draws nearer. They've been more willing than others throughout thick and thin in this cycle to classify a variety of races as one candidate having 90%+ chance of victory, in an abnormally fluid year. Certainly, many races would solidify in the run-up to the election, but 99% chance for Shaheen and Rounds? A 96% chance for Cassidy and Hagan? A 95% chance for Roberts? 87% for Ernst and 83% for Gardner? These projections don't seem to be based in reality. According to them, Nunn has a better chance of winning than Braley, Udall or even Orman.

I'm wondering if they've just threw that out, because as outlined above, their rankings have shifted by very large amounts very rapidly. The only way that should happen given a consistent formula is if they were weighing polls very heavily, and not the opposite.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:34:24 AM »

Junk Senate ratings!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 03:46:45 AM »

SD is still > 99% Republican? Toss it.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:13:07 AM »

This is the election equivalent of HOT SPORTS TAKES. Gut-based opinions that are meant to stir a reaction.

Washington Post is garbage, and so is this map.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 07:48:38 AM »

That was WaPO who had Michigan as a pick up not a long time ago
KCDem

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »

Hahaha this model is a joke.
njwes
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 06:04:05 PM »

Here's the explanation, hadn't seen this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/10/10/the-washington-posts-election-model-says-republicans-have-a-95-chance-of-winning-the-senate-um-what/

"At this point, we're almost 100 percent weighted toward the polls, except in races where the polling is extremely light."

That would explain the insane swings.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies