How can anyone say the GOP isn't favored to win the Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:03:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How can anyone say the GOP isn't favored to win the Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: How can anyone say the GOP isn't favored to win the Senate?  (Read 5144 times)
KCDem

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »

The Republicans have to have a very good night in order to take the Senate.  I think they are more than likely to, but it's by no means a guarantee.  Anything can happen in the next two months.  Most Americans feel that Obama has been a complete disaster in his second term so that should help the Republicans, but then again Obama is not on the ballot nor will he be in 2016, although that's a different topic for a different board.  I agree with an earlier poster on this thread saying that the national mood doesn't favor one party over the other very strongly.  I'd give the edge to Republicans in that arena, but that's only because of the catastrophe that's occupying the White House.  Another poster also rightly mentioned that the Republicans have a very gifted talent to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Romney had the 2012 election almost in the bag, but he made a few too many 4th quarter gaffes that were insurmountable.

One also has to consider that it really doesn't matter who controls the Senate come January as the margin will be so small that nothing will get done.

Hahahahaha...no.

A slim majority of American's disapprove of the President, but to say that a majority think it has been "a disaster" is preposterous and ludicrous.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2014, 01:36:22 AM »

The Republicans have to have a very good night in order to take the Senate.  I think they are more than likely to, but it's by no means a guarantee.  Anything can happen in the next two months.  Most Americans feel that Obama has been a complete disaster in his second term so that should help the Republicans, but then again Obama is not on the ballot nor will he be in 2016, although that's a different topic for a different board.  I agree with an earlier poster on this thread saying that the national mood doesn't favor one party over the other very strongly.  I'd give the edge to Republicans in that arena, but that's only because of the catastrophe that's occupying the White House.  Another poster also rightly mentioned that the Republicans have a very gifted talent to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Romney had the 2012 election almost in the bag, but he made a few too many 4th quarter gaffes that were insurmountable.

One also has to consider that it really doesn't matter who controls the Senate come January as the margin will be so small that nothing will get done.

A fair point. My thing is that the numbers are really good. You basically have 3 seats locked down, and 2 that are locking up. That leaves 1 more for a majority, and to lose all of the remaining competitive races would require serious mess ups and Democratmentum. A Republican congress wouldn't mean anything since Obama is too partisan to sign anything they would pass, but the point of it would be to make him a lame duck- so that he can't just go stomping over the Constitution using Reid as his attack dog.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »

BUMP

My, my, my; how the consensus has changed
KCDem

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »

BUMP

My, my, my; how the consensus has changed

Nope, still not favored. If anything, Democrats have improved their position from late August.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »

It's hard to say we are favorites when we can't even sure up Kansas, South Dakota, Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisiana (even though Louisiana is looking good for the runoff), North Carolina or Georgia.
KCDem

« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »

It's hard to say we are favorites when we can't even sure up Kansas, South Dakota, Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisiana (even though Louisiana is looking good for the runoff), North Carolina or Georgia.

This exactly. The Republicans should be ashamed of themselves.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »

This exactly. The Republicans should be ashamed of themselves.

Is it surprising to anyone? No. After 2012, it proved the Republican Party does not know how to win national elections anymore.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »

It's nice being able to point to Nate Silver as evidence.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »

Three months later, the denial has not weakened. I wonder if it will Wednesday morning?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 05:10:35 PM by IceSpear »

It's nice being able to point to Nate Silver as evidence.

Though it's worth noting that Nate Silver still has Democrats with a strong chance of retaining the Senate, unlike Republicans who were confident that Romney would win in a landslide despite his pitiful 9% chance.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »

Three months later, the denial has not weakened. I wonder if it will Wednesday morning?
Well if the Democrats lose the Senate it's still great news according to ourred avatars
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies