Iowa Republican admits being bribed to endorse Ron Paul
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:47:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iowa Republican admits being bribed to endorse Ron Paul
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iowa Republican admits being bribed to endorse Ron Paul  (Read 1350 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:54 PM »

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

R3VO˩tion!

This also explains how Ron Paul could raise 2nd only to Romney, do nothing, and somehow spend all of it.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »

I'm biased here, but this could easily be part of a plea bargain.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »

This probably would have came out if for some (magical) reason Paul started to do well in the 2012 Primaries.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »

Why admit to it? He could be prosecuted for this, no?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »

Why admit to it? He could be prosecuted for this, no?
Exactly. That's why I'm guessing this was part of a plea bargain.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »

Freedom bribe!
xavier110
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »

The free market at work!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »

A few things:

1. This guy Sorenson resigned from the Iowa State Senate when its ethics committee released a 560-page report on how he violated ethics laws by concealing the fact that he was paid a lot of money by Michelle Bachmann's campaign.

2. He got the Paul campaign money in two ways. There was a $25,000 check made out to his wife from the company of a Paul staffer's wife, and there were several monthly payments of $8,000 that the Paul campaign gave to a film company which then routed it through a second company that then wired it to Sorenson.

3. The plea bargain says his wife won't get charged so that's probably why he took it

4. People from Bachmann's camp called Sorenson out on taking bribe money literally the same day he switched support, and there are apparently some incriminating emails in which Sorenson was negotiating his "salary" with an intermediary for the Paul campaign
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »

Is there anything linking Ron Paul himself to this?

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »

I doubt it. Most likely this was Jesse Benton's doing.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »

Ron Paul 2016: If he can't win your vote, he'll buy it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »

Called him out for being a fraud a long time ago. You know, endorsing Don Young "because he's my friend."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »

I doubt it. Most likely this was Jesse Benton's doing.
Benton seems sleezy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he abused Grandpa-In-Law Ron's trust on this.

Called him out for being a fraud a long time ago. You know, endorsing Don Young "because he's my friend."
To be fair, every politician, insider or outsider, has to be a politician. Rick Santorum stood right behind Arlen Specter as he launched his '96 campaign, and the video shows him applauding throughout his speech even when Specter clearly and staunchly declares his pro-choice views as a reason to vote for him. That doesn’t detract from Santorum being genuinely pro-life. It’s just how it is.

Another example is Paul’s use of pork. He’d load bills with pork for his district and vote against them when he knew the bill would pass, so he could have his cake pork and eat it too. Unethical? Yes, but also pretty smart. And he never ran away from it either, he was pretty honest about it. He wanted to shrink the pie, but as long as it is that big, why not have a slice instead of giving it up for Congressman Backbencher (R-MO). 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »

To be fair, every politician, insider or outsider, has to be a politician. Rick Santorum stood right behind Arlen Specter as he launched his '96 campaign, and the video shows him applauding throughout his speech even when Specter clearly and staunchly declares his pro-choice views as a reason to vote for him. That doesn’t detract from Santorum being genuinely pro-life. It’s just how it is.

That's true and I don't defend it. Just as I didn't defend Santorum backing him in 2004. That being said, Paul has held himself up as some revolutionary that is so "un-DC" so the stench of hypocrisy is a lot stronger. It really says something when a Paul fan says something like, "Every politician...has to be a politician."

Yeah, again, some of the worst kind of hypocrisy. Another reason why he can call Young a friend. Don't tell me how you're all about curbing the expansion of government...except when you can get a ton of wasteful pet projects.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 08:50:30 PM »

"When it is something for your district, it is pork-barrel spending.  When it is something for my district, it is a vital government function." - every Congressman ever Tongue
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 08:51:54 PM »

That's true and I don't defend it. Just as I didn't defend Santorum backing him in 2004. That being said, Paul has held himself up as some revolutionary that is so "un-DC" so the stench of hypocrisy is a lot stronger. It really says something when a Paul fan says something like, "Every politician...has to be a politician."

Yeah, again, some of the worst kind of hypocrisy. Another reason why he can call Young a friend. Don't tell me how you're all about curbing the expansion of government...except when you can get a ton of wasteful pet projects.

As I understand it, Paul endorsed Young due to his stance on marijuana policy
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 01:36:32 AM »

Jesse Benton as in Mitch McConnell's 2014 campaign manager Jesse Benton?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 02:00:11 AM »

Yep.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »

Notice how McConnell and Rand Paul suddenly became friends in early 2013? That had to do with Benton's hiring. He is married to Ron Paul's grandaughter, who he met on the 2008 campaign IIRC.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »

As I understand it, Paul endorsed Young due to his stance on marijuana policy

Ron Paul literally said he was endorsing Young in 2008 because he's a friend of his. I don't doubt that he appreciates Young's position on marijuana legalization and maybe that was another factor in his decision but he was actually quoted saying he supported the House's pork barrel king because they're pals.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:20:26 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

I do stand corrected, Paul does cite his friendship with Young as a primary factor for the endorsement. However, Paul does support his endorsement with policy specifics on environmental and tax policy, so the friendship is, at least ostensibly, not the sole factor at work.

While Paul should be faulted for endorsing big-government Republicans in contested races, rather than merely staying neutral, I find it interesting that the same people who fault Paul for being "ineffectual" also criticize his Faustian pact with Republican officeholders to avoid perpetual primary challenges during his tenure.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies