David Chase spills the beans on The Sopranos ending
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:42:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  David Chase spills the beans on The Sopranos ending
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: David Chase spills the beans on The Sopranos ending  (Read 328 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/27/david-chase-finally-reveals-tonys-fate-on-the-sopranos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ew%2Fhollywoodinsider+(Entertainment+Weekly%2FEW.com's%3A+Hollywood+Insider)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »

Whatever. He could be trolling.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:24:34 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2014, 06:41:23 PM by Paul Kemp »

Yea, my feeling is that he just gave an answer to appease the interviewer. Chase isn't exactly known for being a straight shooter and for him to admit such a thing really goes against his storytelling philosophy. He's tired of having been asked the same question for seven years - he was tired of it at the time it aired! I expect this won't end the questions though.

Whether Tony died at the end or not is inconsequential to his journey over the show. Really the whole fan speculation is the byproduct of our internet culture that feels the need to "peel back the layers" and look for things that don't really exist. If you've read that multipage article written by a fan that's been floating around the internet for years that lays out why Tony supposedly "died," David Chase would have to be the smartest man on earth to have put that all together over the course of the show.

This trend of the audience needing to "find the answers" really is a bad habit; one that nearly destroyed True Detective and one that I'm worried will harm one of my new favorite shows: The Leftovers (which I always want to call The Departed instead). Writers owe the fans nothing - certainly not closure.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride. No need to always get a microscope out.

...which reminds me that I need to re-watch all of The Sopranos for the fourth or fifth time.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »

Also, not sure why it wasn't initially included but here is the link to the actual interview.

Famed critic Alan Sepinwall (who has also interviewed Chase before) also wrote a good piece on it today with a common sense take (which I believe is the correct one):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »

...and now Chase's rep has issued a statement:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not sure Vox will be getting any more interviews with David.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies