Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:44:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Town

Horrible Town

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands  (Read 1938 times)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urk

Massive Freedom Town! I wish the entire country (and, for that matter, the entire Western world) were more like it!

I feel the same way about Amsterdam.

^^QFT
swl
France

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »

Check on the map what Dutch people think of it Wink

http://imgur.com/QYzBR8r
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 06:23:03 PM »

I wouldn't say that the religion and politics are enough to interest me particularly, but the way it was an island out in the sea for centuries and then suddenly got attached to the polder is kind of fascinating.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 11:11:42 PM »

I wouldn't say that the religion and politics are enough to interest me particularly, but the way it was an island out in the sea for centuries and then suddenly got attached to the polder is kind of fascinating.

The literal geography of the town can be confused for metaphorical social commentary. +10

But...I think I'll pass. When I was a kid and went to Europe what I learned is that you want to stick to the big cities if you don't know the language.

Voted 85% conservative, though....you would think that only happen on the high plains, in Utah or Alabama.

And its name is Urk. Is village idiot there named Xim or sommat?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2014, 03:40:39 PM by HockeyDude »

Indeed, although I do wish America had something similar to it; a secluded little hellhole where fundamentalists and prudes can go hang out and play checkers for the rest of their lives and leave the rest of us alone.  

1) Let me establish that I'd never want to live somewhere like this, and I find the beliefs that led to its creation troublesome.

2) However, your intolerance of people of faith immediately nullifies all of your critiques of other "intolerant" people and exposes your hypocrisy.

What intolerance!?  I live in a country where religious belief drives much of social policy and I've not yet tried to move out.  I tolerate it just fine, thank you!  Did I ever say I would FORCE religiouses to move there, my hypothetical little enclave?  Hell no.  I assume they would gather voluntarily so everyone else can be free to engage in gambling and prostitution and pot-smoking and all the other wonderful things the world has to offer.  Oh, and look... that's what happened in the Netherlands.  I merely wish for America to do the same.

Can I recommend expanding Branson?  

EDIT: And here's the definition of tolerance Rockerfeller, since you don't seem to have any idea what it means

tolerate: allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »

Okay, fine. Bigotry, not intolerance. There.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

Bigotry is intolerance towards others.  I already explained I'm not intolerant of others. 

Next please.  
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2014, 05:52:37 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

The point isn't dictionary definitions of words but rather ideas and values as commonly understood. You're using sophistic hair-splitting in a transparent attempt to wash your hands of the fact that your attitude towards people who don't share your religious views is aggressively disparaging and at times openly hateful.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »

The point isn't dictionary definitions of words but rather ideas and values as commonly understood. You're using sophistic hair-splitting in a transparently bullsh**t attempt to wash your hands of the fact that your attitude towards people who don't share your religious views religion is aggressively disparaging and at times openly hateful.

I didn't think someone of your vocabulary would object to dictionary definitioning.  

And fixed again.  I hate religion, not those who practice it.  Ever seen a "feed them to the lions" comment from me?  Have I even once suggested the abolition of religion freedom?  No, because the important of freedom of thought trumps it by a wide degree.  If hating religion is your definition of bigotry; guilty as charged.  But I don't see it that way, because my disdain for religion is not unfair or prejudicial.  It stems from a opinion based on real world experience that I've formulated over many years, and to be lumped in with the racists and the homophobes through the term "bigot" is simply inaccurate and unjust.  

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 06:09:25 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2014, 06:12:18 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Over-reliance on dictionary definitions to deny claims whose actual meaning is obvious is disingenuous. It's using language purely to distract people rather than as a medium for actual communication. It's essentially the same technique as proof-texting.

As for the rest, I don't think you deserve any plaudits for not being as bad as opebo.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »

Over-reliance on dictionary definitions to deny claims whose actual meaning is obvious is disingenuous. It's using language purely to distract people rather than as a medium for actual communication. It's essentially the same technique as proof-texting.

As for the rest, I don't think you deserve any plaudits for not being as bad as opebo.

It doesn't matter what the definition is!  I'm merely pointing out that I do not even meet it.  The fact of the matter is that I do not direct any ire towards PEOPLE based on things they can not control.  What you are saying is that disagreeing strongly = bigotry.  

I was using Our Dear Opie's quote as an Atlas-relevant example.  I've never proposed any lawful sanction against religiouses ever.  
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 10:09:19 PM »

No, you just wish we would self-segregate. I'll gladly grant that that's a less bad sentiment, sure.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »

No, you just wish we would self-segregate. I'll gladly admit that that's a less bad sentiment, sure.

I want to see how a society devoid of religion operates. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies