Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:45:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Town

Horrible Town

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands  (Read 1939 times)
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urk

Massive Freedom Town! I wish the entire country (and, for that matter, the entire Western world) were more like it!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »

Sounds horrifying
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urk

Massive Freedom Town! I wish the entire country (and, for that matter, the entire Western world) were more like it!

I feel the same way about Amsterdam.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »

Indeed, although I do wish America had something similar to it; a secluded little hellhole where fundamentalists and prudes can go hang out and play checkers for the rest of their lives and leave the rest of us alone.  
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »

Like all such enclaves, it sounds like a fascinating place for any sociologist, anthropologist, folklorist, or, apparently, linguist, and thus a lot more fun than the HockeyDudes of the world give it credit for, but I wouldn't want to live there.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

Like all such enclaves, it sounds like a fascinating place for any sociologist, anthropologist, folklorist, or, apparently, linguist, and thus a lot more fun than the HockeyDudes of the world give it credit for, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Fun and interesting are not one in the same, Nathan.  The progressive and freedom-loving government of Holland bestows a legal, drug-infused orgy upon these people and they would rather sit in and vote for Christian Democratic alliances.  I could only imagine what spending a day here would be like. 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »

Fun and interesting are not one in the same, Nathan.  The progressive and freedom-loving government of Holland bestows a legal, drug-infused orgy upon these people and they would rather sit in and vote for Christian Democratic alliances.  I could only imagine what spending a day here would be like. 

Oh, come now, do imagine it! Don't tell me that hearing about places like this doesn't awaken in you any curiosity about what these people are like, what they hold in their hearts or what those hearts thrill to, what a day there is like, what they do do to enjoy themselves, what they believe (beyond the technically correct but boring and surface-level answer 'they're orthodox Calvinists'), how they understand their lives, what parts of those lives fulfill them or fail to fulfill them? Don't tell me that the process itself of discovering what 'fun' is for the people of Urk doesn't, itself, seem fun to you?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:54:28 PM »

Oh, come now, do imagine it! Don't tell me that hearing about places like this doesn't awaken in you any curiosity about what these people are like, what they hold in their hearts or what those hearts thrill to, what a day there is like, what they do do to enjoy themselves, what they believe (beyond the technically correct but boring and surface-level answer 'they're orthodox Calvinists'), how they understand their lives, what parts of those lives fulfill them or fail to fulfill them? Don't tell me that the process itself of discovering what 'fun' is for the people of Urk doesn't, itself, seem fun to you?

hmmm...like Boris you probably actually WOULD find attending an Ingress event to be rather fascinating.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »

hmmm...like Boris you probably actually WOULD find attending an Ingress event to be rather fascinating.

Have I ever directly claimed otherwise? I'm pretty sure I've actually asked you to explain more about Ingress on at least a couple of occasions in the past.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:58:35 PM »

Have I ever directly claimed otherwise? I'm pretty sure I've actually asked you to explain more about Ingress on at least a couple of occasions in the past.

Yeah but I kind of understimated how much. I'll make sure to post some pics from Minneapolis September 6!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2014, 10:05:49 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Yeah but I kind of understimated how much. I'll make sure to post some pics from Minneapolis September 6!

Mind you, I'm not as interested in Ingress players as I am in weird religious enclaves, but go ahead.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »

No, it really doesn't, sorry to say. 
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 10:14:05 PM »

An interesting place I'd like to visit but their opposition to vaccination forces me to vote HT.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »

Nathan would you ever like to visit Colorado City, Arizona?

Oh and Urk is pretty Resistance dominated...though I doubt it's people actually from Urk since that entire area in the Netherlands is. It's probably people from the nearby also Resistance locked down cities of Emmeloord and Dronten. The Enlightened seem to stick to the bigger cities, the regional center of Zwolle has a pretty strong Enlightened presence, as does Lelysted.

But Horrible Town anyway.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 10:17:33 PM »

As far as I can tell, the burghers of Urk do not practice religion-sanctioned pedophilia on a massive scale nor the abandonment of boys to vagrancy and prostitution in order for the leading males to secure larger harems for themselves (seriously were I the President of the United States I would order the imposition of military law on Colorado City, Arizona and order a mini-Nuremberg against the FLDS leadership).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »

We have enough crazy religious nuts in America that you can go observe.

If you're an American and you would go all the way to Holland, just to waste your time visiting this backwater town, you're as nuts as the townies.  Seriously, I was just in Amsterdam and that city is amazing.  Definitely one of my favorite places anywhere.  Is a town full of dower calvinists more interesting than a town full of prostitutes and stores that sell psilocybin mushrooms?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 10:24:31 PM »

We have an Urk equivalent in Minnesota:

CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT 1 RECOGNITION OF MARRIAGE SOLELY BETWEEN ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN
Prinsburg 4102 precincts in contest. 1 of 1 precincts reported.
Yes   327
No   11
Estimated Blanks   4
Estimated Total Number of Voters   342
Estimated Percent of YES*   95.61%

Republican      MITT ROMNEY AND PAUL RYAN   310   90.91%   
Democratic-Farmer-Labor      BARACK OBAMA AND JOE BIDEN   31   9.09%   

Have never been there.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 10:25:40 PM »

Pretty sure there are even more heavily Republican areas in places such as rural Texas.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »

No, it really doesn't, sorry to say. 

Fair enough, I guess.

What Mung Beans said.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »

We have enough crazy religious nuts in America that you can go observe.

If you're an American and you would go all the way to Holland, just to waste your time visiting this backwater town, you're as nuts as the townies.  Seriously, I was just in Amsterdam and that city is amazing.  Definitely one of my favorite places anywhere.  Is a town full of dower calvinists more interesting than a town full of prostitutes and stores that sell psilocybin mushrooms?

No.  No it is not. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:44 PM »

Lean FT for being a rare religious enclave in secular Europe. Unfortunately they're Calvinists so it's only lean. After all God loves all the children, but not all the Calvinist children. Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 11:32:28 PM »

Ommelebommelestien ftw!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 09:33:15 AM »

Fascinating. No problem with the them living their life the way they want. Freedom Town.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 10:34:51 AM »

The progressive and freedom-loving government of Holland...

When did this happen?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »

Indeed, although I do wish America had something similar to it; a secluded little hellhole where fundamentalists and prudes can go hang out and play checkers for the rest of their lives and leave the rest of us alone.  

1) Let me establish that I'd never want to live somewhere like this, and I find the beliefs that led to its creation troublesome.

2) However, your intolerance of people of faith immediately nullifies all of your critiques of other "intolerant" people and exposes your hypocrisy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies