Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:37:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Town

Horrible Town

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of Urk, a town in the Netherlands  (Read 1959 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 27, 2014, 09:16:12 PM »

Indeed, although I do wish America had something similar to it; a secluded little hellhole where fundamentalists and prudes can go hang out and play checkers for the rest of their lives and leave the rest of us alone.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

Like all such enclaves, it sounds like a fascinating place for any sociologist, anthropologist, folklorist, or, apparently, linguist, and thus a lot more fun than the HockeyDudes of the world give it credit for, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Fun and interesting are not one in the same, Nathan.  The progressive and freedom-loving government of Holland bestows a legal, drug-infused orgy upon these people and they would rather sit in and vote for Christian Democratic alliances.  I could only imagine what spending a day here would be like. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »

Like all such enclaves, it sounds like a fascinating place for any sociologist, anthropologist, folklorist, or, apparently, linguist, and thus a lot more fun than the HockeyDudes of the world give it credit for, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Fun and interesting are not one in the same, Nathan.  The progressive and freedom-loving government of Holland bestows a legal, drug-infused orgy upon these people and they would rather sit in and vote for Christian Democratic alliances.  I could only imagine what spending a day here would be like. 

Oh, come now, do imagine it! Don't tell me that hearing about places like this doesn't awaken in you any curiosity about what these people are like, what they hold in their hearts or what those hearts thrill to, what a day there is like, what they do do to enjoy themselves, what they believe (beyond the technically correct but boring and surface-level answer 'they're orthodox Calvinists'), how they understand their lives, what parts of those lives fulfill them or fail to fulfill them? Don't tell me that the process itself of discovering what 'fun' is for the people of Urk doesn't, itself, seem fun to you?

No, it really doesn't, sorry to say. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »

We have enough crazy religious nuts in America that you can go observe.

If you're an American and you would go all the way to Holland, just to waste your time visiting this backwater town, you're as nuts as the townies.  Seriously, I was just in Amsterdam and that city is amazing.  Definitely one of my favorite places anywhere.  Is a town full of dower calvinists more interesting than a town full of prostitutes and stores that sell psilocybin mushrooms?

No.  No it is not. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2014, 03:40:39 PM by HockeyDude »

Indeed, although I do wish America had something similar to it; a secluded little hellhole where fundamentalists and prudes can go hang out and play checkers for the rest of their lives and leave the rest of us alone.  

1) Let me establish that I'd never want to live somewhere like this, and I find the beliefs that led to its creation troublesome.

2) However, your intolerance of people of faith immediately nullifies all of your critiques of other "intolerant" people and exposes your hypocrisy.

What intolerance!?  I live in a country where religious belief drives much of social policy and I've not yet tried to move out.  I tolerate it just fine, thank you!  Did I ever say I would FORCE religiouses to move there, my hypothetical little enclave?  Hell no.  I assume they would gather voluntarily so everyone else can be free to engage in gambling and prostitution and pot-smoking and all the other wonderful things the world has to offer.  Oh, and look... that's what happened in the Netherlands.  I merely wish for America to do the same.

Can I recommend expanding Branson?  

EDIT: And here's the definition of tolerance Rockerfeller, since you don't seem to have any idea what it means

tolerate: allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »

Bigotry is intolerance towards others.  I already explained I'm not intolerant of others. 

Next please.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »

The point isn't dictionary definitions of words but rather ideas and values as commonly understood. You're using sophistic hair-splitting in a transparently bullsh**t attempt to wash your hands of the fact that your attitude towards people who don't share your religious views religion is aggressively disparaging and at times openly hateful.

I didn't think someone of your vocabulary would object to dictionary definitioning.  

And fixed again.  I hate religion, not those who practice it.  Ever seen a "feed them to the lions" comment from me?  Have I even once suggested the abolition of religion freedom?  No, because the important of freedom of thought trumps it by a wide degree.  If hating religion is your definition of bigotry; guilty as charged.  But I don't see it that way, because my disdain for religion is not unfair or prejudicial.  It stems from a opinion based on real world experience that I've formulated over many years, and to be lumped in with the racists and the homophobes through the term "bigot" is simply inaccurate and unjust.  

HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »

Over-reliance on dictionary definitions to deny claims whose actual meaning is obvious is disingenuous. It's using language purely to distract people rather than as a medium for actual communication. It's essentially the same technique as proof-texting.

As for the rest, I don't think you deserve any plaudits for not being as bad as opebo.

It doesn't matter what the definition is!  I'm merely pointing out that I do not even meet it.  The fact of the matter is that I do not direct any ire towards PEOPLE based on things they can not control.  What you are saying is that disagreeing strongly = bigotry.  

I was using Our Dear Opie's quote as an Atlas-relevant example.  I've never proposed any lawful sanction against religiouses ever.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »

No, you just wish we would self-segregate. I'll gladly admit that that's a less bad sentiment, sure.

I want to see how a society devoid of religion operates. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies