Cool chart about religion and politics in the US
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:55:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Cool chart about religion and politics in the US
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cool chart about religion and politics in the US  (Read 9073 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:53:33 AM »

Shows the general politics of different religions and denominations:

http://tobingrant.religionnews.com/2014/08/27/politics-american-churches-religions-one-graph/
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »

Catholicism once again confirmed for correct religion.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »

Sigh.  It's Unitarian Universalist, not Unitarian.  UU if U must abbr.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »

All my UU friends call themselves Unitarians.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »

I didn't realize any religions fell in the lower right sections. Interesting.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:35:30 PM »

I'm actually extremely confused about that.  I wouldn't consider Methodists nor Episcopalians to be particularly right-wing economically, from my experience.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »

War and peace are not part of that paradigm and that is the most important political issue to me. I would be in the lower left region, perhaps in the center of it where I am all alone. Notice how big the blank area in the center of the LL square is.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »

All my UU friends call themselves Unitarians.

That's probably because they go to a church that was Unitarian before the merger.  I go one that was Universalist and I personal identify far more with Universalism than Unitarianism.  Besides, in my opinion the whole classical Unitarian/Trinitarian dispute within Christianity is one that primarily matters to theologians.  The dispute between Universalism and the doctrines of Annihilationism and Eternal Damnation is far more relevant to lay people, including myself.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »

I'm actually extremely confused about that.  I wouldn't consider Methodists nor Episcopalians to be particularly right-wing economically, from my experience.

Doctrinally, no.  But individually, yes.  Both denominations tend to draw more from middle class and upper class individuals than they do from people who are lower class economically.
GaussLaw
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »

"Liberal Protestants" are not so liberal after all, at least economically speaking.

The Atheist/Unitarian/Agnostic dynamic is quite interesting with regards to economic issues, as well.  My theory is that agnostics are more conservative fiscally because they don't really have an agenda(and tend to have other traits corresponding with fiscal conservatism), whereas atheists tend to be fairly staunch secular humanists, given the potential stigma of the label.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 11:01:49 PM »

I'm quite surprised the AoG is closer to center economically than I thought.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 12:08:31 AM »

I'm quite surprised the AoG is closer to center economically than I thought.

That mildly surprised me as well. I thought fiscal issues were the one point that Assemblies of God wasn't fairly centrist on.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:36 AM »

"Liberal Protestants" are not so liberal after all, at least economically speaking.

The Atheist/Unitarian/Agnostic dynamic is quite interesting with regards to economic issues, as well.  My theory is that agnostics are more conservative fiscally because they don't really have an agenda(and tend to have other traits corresponding with fiscal conservatism), whereas atheists tend to be fairly staunch secular humanists, given the potential stigma of the label.

I was a bit surprised by where the Quakers ended up.  Granted, it may be due to small sample size, both in the poll and in my personal experience, but the local Quaker congregation is definitely left-of-center economically rather than slightly right-of-center.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 08:07:31 AM »

I was a bit surprised by where the Quakers ended up.  Granted, it may be due to small sample size, both in the poll and in my personal experience, but the local Quaker congregation is definitely left-of-center economically rather than slightly right-of-center.

That was one of the surprises for me. I expected them to be well left economically and more to the center on morality issues (there are still a lot of "conservative," and even evangelical self-identified Quakers out there, EFCI as an example).

The other thing that surprised me was that Methodist (non-UMC) and the UMC were so close. There's a world of difference between the liberal elements of the UMC and the Free Methodists/Wesleyans/Nazarenes, unless those are being counted as strictly Holiness. However, if that's the case then I don't know what Methodist (non-UMC) means.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »

What are "Friends"?

And why are agnostics libertarian while atheists are liberal?
GaussLaw
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 05:42:39 PM »

What are "Friends"?

Friends  = Quakers

I had the same question and my theory was that agnostics are more libertarian because they're less likely to have an agenda, while atheists tend to be "secular humanists."  Also, atheism is a big social stigma, so nonreligious conservatives would likely opt for the agnostic label moreso than liberals, especially given that the atheist stigma is stronger in more conservative parts of the country (I would argue libertarianism is closer to conservatism, on balance).
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2014, 07:12:52 PM by ElectionsGuy »

Awsome chart. So a summary might look like this:

Black Protestant = Communitarian/big government
Evangelical Protestant = Conservative
Mainline Protestant = Libertarian/small government
Catholic = Centrist
No Religion = Socially liberal, medium government size
Jewish and Buddhist = Liberal
Muslim and Hindu = Communitarian/big government

What are "Friends"?

Friends  = Quakers

I had the same question and my theory was that agnostics are more libertarian because they're less likely to have an agenda, while atheists tend to be "secular humanists."  Also, atheism is a big social stigma, so nonreligious conservatives would likely opt for the agnostic label moreso than liberals, especially given that the atheist stigma is stronger in more conservative parts of the country (I would argue libertarianism is closer to conservatism, on balance).

I think this is accurate. For the record, I do call myself agnostic, and while I am also an atheist, I'm not anti-theist. This is just one of the examples for reasons atheists get a bad name with lots of people (and especially conservatives). Some tend to be very militant and condescending without even realizing it.
Qavvavak
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -7.00

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 08:14:34 PM »

Indigenous (Native American) Spirituality  (shamanism/animism, etc) is closely related to Buddhist in graph
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »

I'm not surprised at the atheist/agnostic split.  Agnosticism is best described as indifference, and indifference towards this subject tends to be indicative of the non-activist type; i.e. just get government/religion/etc. out of my way.  When you say you are an atheist... well, you tend to be the type of person who takes a hard stance, and you're probably going to be the type to get more wrapped up in progressive economic reforms and stuff like that. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 11:08:50 PM »

Episcopals are often stereotyped as rich and snobby, and they probably have a lot more Republicans than you'd expect from a church that endorsed gay equality so early. I think the spot on the chart is fair.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 05:41:03 AM »

I don't see Baha'i on there. Sad I'm guessing it would be towards the bottom center?

Actually, it makes some sense for them to be off the chart.  One of the tenets most Baha'i hold to is non-involvement in partisan politics.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 09:10:43 PM »

This chart may not be accurate.

If American Hindus are really communitarian, then why do a large majority of American Hindus support same-sex marriage and abortion?

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 11:39:55 AM »

This chart may not be accurate.

If American Hindus are really communitarian, then why do a large majority of American Hindus support same-sex marriage and abortion?
Well, being communitarian doesn't necessarily entail being socially conservative. There's a correlation, but that's because Abrahamic religious morals are more prevelant in the West (obvious fact is obvious).

With homosexuality and non-Abrahamic religions, a possible attempt at rationalization is "Hey, we can give the gay couple the orphaned kids since their parents died. Nothing in the scriptures says anything wrong with homosexuality, and we asked them and they said they couldn't change, so who cares if it doesn't hurt anyone? Maybe they were the opposite gender in the previous life, so they're not used to it. Guess it's all part of the karmic plan or something! *shrugs*".

And with abortion, the shame of pregnancy out of wedlock could bigger than abortion. Or they can't support another child.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »

What causes the disparity in views on abortion between foreign born Asian Americans and Asian Americans born here? Is it a generational liberalization to the children of immigrants? What causes it?
GaussLaw
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 05:33:25 PM »

What causes the disparity in views on abortion between foreign born Asian Americans and Asian Americans born here? Is it a generational liberalization to the children of immigrants? What causes it?

My guess would be that Asian immigrants often live in rather urban, liberal US cities, so their kids would soak up those views like a sponge.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies